Director

Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
True Lies is his worst movie.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:23 am
Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Titanic, no questions asked. Some of the most nauseatingly bad dialogue i've EVER heard in a film and one of the worst on-screen couples of all time.

I don't get it. It's been THIRTEEN YEARS since Titanic came out? Why are people still hating on it? IT'S A GOOD MOVIE! Up until Avatar, it was the highest grossing movie of all time! That means that some people had to like it!

I think the problem is that the gossip magazines kept forcefeeding us crap about it and everyone turned on it.

The people who are hating on it are either lying to "look cool" (it's a romance...so what?) or because they haven't watched it in a long time and haven't seen it recently.

I just watched it a few weeks ago and it's AMAZING!
no offense, but that's a REALLY lame defense, I don't Titanic because it's the "cool" thing to do, I just hate because IMO it sucks in every single way imagineable! Just because a movie makes over a a billion dollars DOES NOT automatically make it a good movie and it DOES NOt mena that I have to like it, and FYI I saw Titanic when I was alot younger, long before I read a single review about it, Needless to say it was torture for me to sit through. 10 years later by change I came across it playing on TV, so I decided to try and watch it and see if my opinion had changed, needless to say I ended up turning it off after less then 10 minutes. So while to many people Titanic may be a mindblowing movie, to me it's a cinematic abortion that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! :evil:

Case in point: Most of Michael Bay's filmography! Sorry couldn't resist!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 pm
Assistant Director

Michael Bay IS a case in point (although "The Rock" is a classic).

However, that's not what I'm arguing. I'm merely pointing out the fact that there was a tremendous backlash against Titanic a few years after it released. I know many people who get laughed at because they say they like Titanic.

Vexer, I'm not saying that this is you. I'm just saying that this is true of a lot of people and it's getting pretty old. I don't understand why people sometimes criticize others for liking this movie. Sure, out of context some of the lines sound pretty schmaltzy (and even worse when they are mimicked by critical people). But if watched from beginning to end, the film works magically.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
moviemkr7 wrote:
Michael Bay IS a case in point (although "The Rock" is a classic).

However, that's not what I'm arguing. I'm merely pointing out the fact that there was a tremendous backlash against Titanic a few years after it released. I know many people who get laughed at because they say they like Titanic.

Vexer, I'm not saying that this is you. I'm just saying that this is true of a lot of people and it's getting pretty old. I don't understand why people sometimes criticize others for liking this movie. Sure, out of context some of the lines sound pretty schmaltzy (and even worse when they are mimicked by critical people). But if watched from beginning to end, the film works magically.
Well i'm not like that, I never criticize people for liking films, I only criticize the films themselves and the people who made them, and I never hate something just because it's the "cool" thing to do either. And if you think it's a "magical" film then that's fine by me, though I personally found it to be an agonizing experience that I hope I will NEVER have to live through again!

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm
Director

By far Titanic. Cliched story, weak dialogue and painfully obvious.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:08 pm
Avatar is pure mediocrity. Haven't seen True Lies.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:33 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Avatar is pure mediocrity. Haven't seen True Lies.

Sometimes I come across as the champion of the middlebrow on this site, but Avatar is a lot better than the sneering internet cognoscenti give it credit for. Film is, first and foremost, a visual medium, and in that regard Avatar was an absolute, unqualified success. Which alone makes it more than a mediocrity.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 pm
Jeff Wilder wrote:
By far Titanic. Cliched story, weak dialogue and painfully obvious.

Well said, and Avatar isn't that great visually if you take the 3-D out of the equation.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Sometimes I come across as the champion of the middlebrow on this site, but Avatar is a lot better than the sneering internet cognoscenti give it credit for. Film is, first and foremost, a visual medium, and in that regard Avatar was an absolute, unqualified success. Which alone makes it more than a mediocrity.
Never mistake pretty pictures for pictures that do a good job of executing their technical goals.

When live action mediocrity looks pretty, it doesn't get a pass. Why should cartoon mediocrity?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 pm
The Abyss is likely his worst but also my favorite
Rob

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:56 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Never mistake pretty pictures for pictures that do a good job of executing their technical goals.

When live action mediocrity looks pretty, it doesn't get a pass. Why should cartoon mediocrity?

If Cameron's goal was to introduce me to a new world, then his visuals absolutely succeeded.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
If Cameron's goal was to introduce me to a new world, then his visuals absolutely succeeded.

Avatar has superb visual effects and it's creation of another world is phenomenal, though still remarkably earth like.

The plot and script are hardly cutting edge. That said, my kids and I enjoyed it as a fun action movie.

Rob

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:36 pm
ShrunkenHead wrote:
Of the ones I've seen, I have to say True Lies is my least favorite.

I really should have waited until I saw The Abyss before voting. :oops:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:53 pm
ShrunkenHead wrote:
ShrunkenHead wrote:
Of the ones I've seen, I have to say True Lies is my least favorite.

I really should have waited until I saw The Abyss before voting. :oops:

Why does everyone hate The Abyss? The one thing it goofs up is the ending, the rest of the film is virtually perfect and ranks close behind Aliens as Cameron's best film.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
Avatar isn't that great visually if you take the 3-D out of the equation.

When I saw Avatar on my computer screen, it was not impressive. It looked too much like a video game. BUT, when I was at a best buy (or maybe it was a Wal-Mart, can't remember which one), they were showing it on Blu-Ray and it looked absolutely INCREDIBLE! So how the visuals are probably depends on how you are watching it.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Avatar isn't that great visually if you take the 3-D out of the equation.

When I saw Avatar on my computer screen, it was not impressive. It looked too much like a video game. BUT, when I was at a best buy (or maybe it was a Wal-Mart, can't remember which one), they were showing it on Blu-Ray and it looked absolutely INCREDIBLE! So how the visuals are probably depends on how you are watching it.

For me it dosen't matter, I couldn't care less about Blu-Ray, I too recall saw Avatar being shown like that, and I was like "meh who cares?" Better visuals aren't going to improve the lackluster story and one-dimensional character, which were my biggest problems with the film, the visuals weren't nearly impressive for em to be able to overlook those issues.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am
Second Unit Director

I think Avatar is severley overated.
it's just dances with wolves combined with the smurfs rip off

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:05 pm
Producer

Dances With Wolves meets The Smurfs sounds like a movie I could get behind.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:10 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:

don't let cameron near it or it will become a massive special effects bore.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:22 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:

How about "Dracula and the Wolfman Meet the Smurfs"?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:20 pm