Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron 

Worst James Cameron Film
Terminator 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Aliens 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
The Abyss 23%  23%  [ 13 ]
Terminator II 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
True Lies 27%  27%  [ 15 ]
Titanic 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Avatar 25%  25%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 56

Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron 
Author Message
Director
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm
Posts: 1077
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
True Lies is his worst movie.


Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:23 am
Profile
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Vexer wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Titanic, no questions asked. Some of the most nauseatingly bad dialogue i've EVER heard in a film and one of the worst on-screen couples of all time.


I don't get it. It's been THIRTEEN YEARS since Titanic came out? Why are people still hating on it? IT'S A GOOD MOVIE! Up until Avatar, it was the highest grossing movie of all time! That means that some people had to like it!

I think the problem is that the gossip magazines kept forcefeeding us crap about it and everyone turned on it.

The people who are hating on it are either lying to "look cool" (it's a romance...so what?) or because they haven't watched it in a long time and haven't seen it recently.

I just watched it a few weeks ago and it's AMAZING!
no offense, but that's a REALLY lame defense, I don't Titanic because it's the "cool" thing to do, I just hate because IMO it sucks in every single way imagineable! Just because a movie makes over a a billion dollars DOES NOT automatically make it a good movie and it DOES NOt mena that I have to like it, and FYI I saw Titanic when I was alot younger, long before I read a single review about it, Needless to say it was torture for me to sit through. 10 years later by change I came across it playing on TV, so I decided to try and watch it and see if my opinion had changed, needless to say I ended up turning it off after less then 10 minutes. So while to many people Titanic may be a mindblowing movie, to me it's a cinematic abortion that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! :evil:


Case in point: Most of Michael Bay's filmography! Sorry couldn't resist!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:


Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 pm
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 891
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Michael Bay IS a case in point (although "The Rock" is a classic).

However, that's not what I'm arguing. I'm merely pointing out the fact that there was a tremendous backlash against Titanic a few years after it released. I know many people who get laughed at because they say they like Titanic.

Vexer, I'm not saying that this is you. I'm just saying that this is true of a lot of people and it's getting pretty old. I don't understand why people sometimes criticize others for liking this movie. Sure, out of context some of the lines sound pretty schmaltzy (and even worse when they are mimicked by critical people). But if watched from beginning to end, the film works magically.

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
moviemkr7 wrote:
Michael Bay IS a case in point (although "The Rock" is a classic).

However, that's not what I'm arguing. I'm merely pointing out the fact that there was a tremendous backlash against Titanic a few years after it released. I know many people who get laughed at because they say they like Titanic.

Vexer, I'm not saying that this is you. I'm just saying that this is true of a lot of people and it's getting pretty old. I don't understand why people sometimes criticize others for liking this movie. Sure, out of context some of the lines sound pretty schmaltzy (and even worse when they are mimicked by critical people). But if watched from beginning to end, the film works magically.
Well i'm not like that, I never criticize people for liking films, I only criticize the films themselves and the people who made them, and I never hate something just because it's the "cool" thing to do either. And if you think it's a "magical" film then that's fine by me, though I personally found it to be an agonizing experience that I hope I will NEVER have to live through again!


Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1526
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
By far Titanic. Cliched story, weak dialogue and painfully obvious.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:08 pm
Profile
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Avatar is pure mediocrity. Haven't seen True Lies.


Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:33 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Ken wrote:
Avatar is pure mediocrity. Haven't seen True Lies.


Sometimes I come across as the champion of the middlebrow on this site, but Avatar is a lot better than the sneering internet cognoscenti give it credit for. Film is, first and foremost, a visual medium, and in that regard Avatar was an absolute, unqualified success. Which alone makes it more than a mediocrity.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 pm
Profile
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Jeff Wilder wrote:
By far Titanic. Cliched story, weak dialogue and painfully obvious.

Well said, and Avatar isn't that great visually if you take the 3-D out of the equation.


Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 pm
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
JamesKunz wrote:
Sometimes I come across as the champion of the middlebrow on this site, but Avatar is a lot better than the sneering internet cognoscenti give it credit for. Film is, first and foremost, a visual medium, and in that regard Avatar was an absolute, unqualified success. Which alone makes it more than a mediocrity.
Never mistake pretty pictures for pictures that do a good job of executing their technical goals.

When live action mediocrity looks pretty, it doesn't get a pass. Why should cartoon mediocrity?


Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 pm
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
The Abyss is likely his worst but also my favorite
Rob


Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:56 pm
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7279
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Sometimes I come across as the champion of the middlebrow on this site, but Avatar is a lot better than the sneering internet cognoscenti give it credit for. Film is, first and foremost, a visual medium, and in that regard Avatar was an absolute, unqualified success. Which alone makes it more than a mediocrity.
Never mistake pretty pictures for pictures that do a good job of executing their technical goals.

When live action mediocrity looks pretty, it doesn't get a pass. Why should cartoon mediocrity?


If Cameron's goal was to introduce me to a new world, then his visuals absolutely succeeded.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 pm
Profile
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
JamesKunz wrote:
If Cameron's goal was to introduce me to a new world, then his visuals absolutely succeeded.


Avatar has superb visual effects and it's creation of another world is phenomenal, though still remarkably earth like.

The plot and script are hardly cutting edge. That said, my kids and I enjoyed it as a fun action movie.

Rob


Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:36 pm
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
ShrunkenHead wrote:
Of the ones I've seen, I have to say True Lies is my least favorite.


I really should have waited until I saw The Abyss before voting. :oops:


Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:53 pm
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
ShrunkenHead wrote:
ShrunkenHead wrote:
Of the ones I've seen, I have to say True Lies is my least favorite.


I really should have waited until I saw The Abyss before voting. :oops:


Why does everyone hate The Abyss? The one thing it goofs up is the ending, the rest of the film is virtually perfect and ranks close behind Aliens as Cameron's best film.


Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 am
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2108
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Vexer wrote:
Avatar isn't that great visually if you take the 3-D out of the equation.



When I saw Avatar on my computer screen, it was not impressive. It looked too much like a video game. BUT, when I was at a best buy (or maybe it was a Wal-Mart, can't remember which one), they were showing it on Blu-Ray and it looked absolutely INCREDIBLE! So how the visuals are probably depends on how you are watching it.


Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 am
Profile
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Avatar isn't that great visually if you take the 3-D out of the equation.



When I saw Avatar on my computer screen, it was not impressive. It looked too much like a video game. BUT, when I was at a best buy (or maybe it was a Wal-Mart, can't remember which one), they were showing it on Blu-Ray and it looked absolutely INCREDIBLE! So how the visuals are probably depends on how you are watching it.

For me it dosen't matter, I couldn't care less about Blu-Ray, I too recall saw Avatar being shown like that, and I was like "meh who cares?" Better visuals aren't going to improve the lackluster story and one-dimensional character, which were my biggest problems with the film, the visuals weren't nearly impressive for em to be able to overlook those issues.


Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 228
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
I think Avatar is severley overated.
it's just dances with wolves combined with the smurfs rip off


Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:05 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Dances With Wolves meets The Smurfs sounds like a movie I could get behind.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:10 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
Posts: 228
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Ken wrote:
Dances With Wolves meets The Smurfs sounds like a movie I could get behind.

don't let cameron near it or it will become a massive special effects bore.


Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:22 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:49 pm
Posts: 229
Post Re: Poll #31: Worst of James Cameron
Ken wrote:
Dances With Wolves meets The Smurfs sounds like a movie I could get behind.



How about "Dracula and the Wolfman Meet the Smurfs"?


Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:20 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr