New Alice in Chains?
Bring back Layne...I don't care if he's dead! 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
I like this new guy. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Who's Alice in Chains? 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12

Poll #24: Alice in Chains 
Post Re: Poll #24: Alice in Chains
Vexer wrote:
Yeah well, every type of music becomes oversaturated after a certain amount of time, it didn't take long for the same thing to happen to grunge, or alternative, or emo( one of my most hated types of music BTW) it's just inevitable for something to get overdone.

- When did alternative become oversaturated? As far as I'm concerned, most alternative bands of the 90's caught on solely by making hook-filled, inventive rock. This was the staple of the era, and I think that was a laudable standard. It's always been a solid sub-genre, and it remained vital for much longer than hair metal, which was even at it's best a joke sub-genre. It's also arguable, due to the subgenre's subjective nature, that Alternative has never dipped in quality and has expanded to other genres in this decade. That's what happens when a genre is founded upon musical principles and not industry tit-flicking.

- I'll take your opinion on Emo seriously when I say 'Sunny Day Real Estate' and you don't ask me for Mapquest directions.

- Grunge most certainly was overdone, but a mass of material from it's peak has weathered the test of time, whereas almost all of hair metal has not. Many of the records from this era don't even sound like they were made in the 90's, and are timeless classics (hell, even 'Ten' sounds modern with it's recent remastering).

Example: Give an amateur listener a taste of 'Siamese Dream' and then ask them to guess the release date. The answer, 1993, almost seems like a bold-faced lie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're absolutely entitled to your singularly different opinions, and to some bizarro-world degree I respect them, but I will go on a limb here and say that if I woke up as you the next morning, I would stay away from any and all media devices in my house.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:56 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Yeah well, every type of music becomes oversaturated after a certain amount of time, it didn't take long for the same thing to happen to grunge, or alternative, or emo( one of my most hated types of music BTW) it's just inevitable for something to get overdone.

- When did alternative become oversaturated? As far as I'm concerned, most alternative bands of the 90's caught on solely by making hook-filled, inventive rock. This was the staple of the era, and I think that was a laudable standard. It's always been a solid sub-genre, and it remained vital for much longer than hair metal, which was even at it's best a joke sub-genre. It's also arguable, due to the subgenre's subjective nature, that Alternative has never dipped in quality and has expanded to other genres in this decade. That's what happens when a genre is founded upon musical principles and not industry tit-flicking.

- I'll take your opinion on Emo seriously when I say 'Sunny Day Real Estate' and you don't ask me for Mapquest directions.

- Grunge most certainly was overdone, but a mass of material from it's peak has weathered the test of time, whereas almost all of hair metal has not. Many of the records from this era don't even sound like they were made in the 90's, and are timeless classics (hell, even 'Ten' sounds modern with it's recent remastering).

Example: Give an amateur listener a taste of 'Siamese Dream' and then ask them to guess the release date. The answer, 1993, almost seems like a bold-faced lie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're absolutely entitled to your singularly different opinions, and to some bizarro-world degree I respect them, but I will go on a limb here and say that if I woke up as you the next morning, I would stay away from any and all media devices in my house.
Well I disagree severely, I like some alternative bands, but to me most of them just sound too similar to one another and bore the crap out of me, an dI like hair metal because it's fun to listen to, tha'ts the problem with most of today's popular bands, they're just too busy whining aobut how depressed they are and it gets REAL irritating, how the hell a incredibly shitty genre like Emo ever became popular is one thing I will NEVER understand, and that whole "waking up as you thing" ditto for me, I can't stand most grunge bands.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:17 pm
I have great faith in Jerry, but Jerry Cantrell is Jerry Cantrell. Alice in Chains is Jerry AND Layne.

Damageplan had the most potential for becoming Alice in Chains 2.0, incidentally.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 pm
Ken wrote:
I have great faith in Jerry, but Jerry Cantrell is Jerry Cantrell. Alice in Chains is Jerry AND Layne.

Damageplan had the most potential for becoming Alice in Chains 2.0, incidentally.

Wasn't Damageplan supposed to be Pantera 2.0 until Dimebag's murder?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:06 pm
Patrick wrote:
Wasn't Damageplan supposed to be Pantera 2.0 until Dimebag's murder?
I don't know that it was supposed to be anything other than Dime and Vinnie's new group, but I defy anyone to listen to "Soul Bleed" and not think of Layne and Jerry.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:06 pm