Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:29 am

Poll #19: David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar 

Who is/was the better Van Halen frontman?
David Lee Roth 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
Sammy Hagar 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8

Poll #19: David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar 
Post Poll #19: David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar
It's a self-explanatory poll but no, Gary Cherone doesn't count.

And if you haven't, check out and submit some poll ideas because next week I'm using moviemkr's idea.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:02 am
Post Re: Poll #19: David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar
I voted for Roth for one simple fact. With him I struggle to find a VH song that sucks, with Hagar I struggle to find a VH song that doesn't suck.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:03 am
Hagar owns. While the guitar work with Roth was far superior, I think the overall quality of the band rose when Hagar joined. I still think with Roth VH was incredible but the Hagar stuff was my favorite as a kid and still is today.

I also love how Gary Cheronne (?) was not even an option, because VHIII was simply an abomination.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:45 pm
David Lee Roth seemed to have a leaning towards, what would you call it, Jazz-rock? I look at his solo works and note quite a few of the songs that he'd made or remade had more of a Jazz tilt to them. Just a Gigalo, Tobacco Road, Two Fools a Minute Hell, there were even some VH songs with a clarinet..!
I enjoyed his flavor immensely. He was the original front man for VH, and I wore out their 1984 album. Skyscraper was one of my favorites for a long time. As was Eat 'em and Smile.
Sammy's solo works rank amongst some of my favorite. Standing Hampton is one of my favorite albums of all time. VOA -Also great. Was his work diminished when he joined VH?? I'm not sure it was.
His lyrics from 20th Century Man (off Danger Zone 1980) included "...I don't care about 1985, cause if i ain't dead, you know i'll be half alive..." are rife with irony in that he joined VH in '85.
I love his tequilla. That's worth something isn't it?!

I can't decide.

I must abstain from voting.

Don't even ask about Sean Connery vs Roger Moore, as I'll abstain then too, but with a much longer diatribe.

I'm going to go home and look in my cassette box for Skyscraper and Standing Hampton. I'm pretty sure I taped them off of my vinyl.
I just hope I can find something to play them on.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:38 am