It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 am

Poll #14: Rob Halford vs. Bruce Dickinson 

Better frontman
Rob Halford 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Bruce Dickinson 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9

Poll #14: Rob Halford vs. Bruce Dickinson 
Post Poll #14: Rob Halford vs. Bruce Dickinson
Today we have the two Metal Masters fighting it out for best frontman. Is it Rob Halford from Judas Priest or Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden.

And I said frontman, not singer even though that's important in a frontman.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:02 pm
Post Re: Poll #14: Rob Halford vs. Bruce Dickinson
And my vote goes to Dickinson. This is a bit shocking since Priest is my favorite band and I have written a blog about Iron Maiden here about why I never got into them.

But seeing Flight 666 has shown that Dickinson is a wildly dynamic and entertaining frontman who does a lot of things to keep audience interest. While Harford has a better voice and songs, seeing that Budokan concert was a bit disheartening. He looked down a lot liked he was reading off some teleprompter which isn't cool at all.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm
Not even close. Dickinson has a good voice, but in my opinion Halford is the best heavy metal singer ever.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:02 pm
Soup to nuts, I'll say Dickinson. I know this is heresy, but purely in terms of voicework, I thought Ripper was the better Priest vocalist. And I've never seen either band live, so I can't take stage persona into account.

Both bands have a mix of good and bad material, but I can appreciate Maiden's bad stuff more in an ironic way. Any band who attempts to summarize the life of Alexander the Great in one song has approached a threshold of joyful idiocy that can't be discounted.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:05 pm
Ken wrote:
Soup to nuts, I'll say Dickinson. I know this is heresy, but purely in terms of voicework, I thought Ripper was the better Priest vocalist. And I've never seen either band live, so I can't take stage persona into account.

Both bands have a mix of good and bad material, but I can appreciate Maiden's bad stuff more in an ironic way. Any band who attempts to summarize the life of Alexander the Great in one song has approached a threshold of joyful idiocy that can't be discounted.

Dickinson. Ken gives the reasons better than I ever could. I like that he has all these unusual interests outside of music like fencing. Incidentally, if there's ever to be a biopic of the man then look no further than Simon McBurney [imdb.com].

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:08 pm
Finally, a poll I can truly love. I say Dickinson, not out of disrespect for Halford, but because he (and consequently, Maiden) were so much more imaginative than Halford or Judas Priest. He was just so 'out there', that even now it's difficult not to be impressed by the sheer audacity of it all.

That and he's a certified pilot. I mean, come on!

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Oh...so that's not the "More CowBell" Bruce Dickinson. I'm not voting then. Hmf...

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 pm
Iron Maiden is the second best band ever...in the history of music. It's Bruce. Fo sho.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:46 pm