Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Episode #11: Night of the Evil Dead 
Cinematographer

Post Episode #11: Night of the Evil Dead
It's a wrap for the first quarter of 2013. Perhaps the next three months will be more rewarding. Until then, let us predict what James has say about Trance, Evil Dead, and 6 Souls.

1. Trance - ***
The latest from direct Danny Boyle, whose most recent credits include Slumdog Millionaire (***1/2), 127 Hours (***), and the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics, is the story of an art heist gone wrong, and one auctioneer-turned-thief's (James McAvoy) journey to remember where he hid a priceless Goya painting after sustaining an injury to the back of the head. The impressive cast also includes Vincent Cassel, Rosario Dawson, and Michael Fassbender. Having seen Trance, I can say that it is entertaining romp, cool and stylish without being particularly ambitious. No problem there. Danny Boyle, having finally won an Academy Award for Best Director just four years ago, seems to be taking a break from the awards circuit with this sleek, exhilarating thriller. James should enjoy it, although he might leave the theater wishing for something more substance. Still, three stars out of four.

2. Evil Dead - ***
James gave the original The Evil Dead only ***, so I am somewhat pessimistic about his rating for this remake, produced by Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell. The film doesn't hold back on the gore, unafraid to bombard its audience with gallons of blood, as well as some truly terrifying scares. All in all, Evil Dead is a reasonably entertaining horror film that wasn't simply watered down to cater to younger audiences. James should find that mildly refreshing. Three stars out of four.

3. 6 Souls - *1/2
Currently sitting at a 0% after nine reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, 6 Souls is the latest cliche-ridden horror film to be released this year, starring Julianne Moore as a widowed psychiatrist whose latest patient isn't quite what the doctor ordered. Now, she's on a quest to protect her family before this psycho can cause them any harm. I don't feel like writing anymore, so I'm just going to go ahead and predict one star out of four.

Update: On further consideration, I am going to predict that 6 Souls ends up with one and a half stars out of four. Julianne Moore is far too good an actress for this movie to end up being unwatchable, and quite frankly, James doesn't hand out one-star ratings like candy. One and a half stars out of four.

I wasn't particularly fond of any of the title suggestions from last week, so I just used my own. :) That being said, you can earn an extra point this week by predicting all three of the above titles correctly. I think that this will be the case each week from this point onward. However, when James plans on reviewing four or more movies in one week, I will double your score if you predict all of the titles correctly.

Another dreadful week for my predictions. I was off on Pines by a half-point. In retrospect, I can begin to see just how much I overestimated the latest from Derek Cianfrance. James' **** ratings are rare, and we don't get ***1/2 ratings from him that often either. Likewise, I let my optimism regarding G.I. Joe: Retaliation cloud my judgment, although to be fair, the film did open strong at the start of the week with mostly positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Finally, I was off by a full point on The Host. James' lukewarm reception of the Twilight series led me to overestimate the rating he would assign Stephenie Meyer's latest YA travesty.

Next week, we will be predicting James' ratings for 42 and To the Wonder, not To the Wonderful. Until then, don't forget to check the leaderboard for the latest score updates.

Sidenote: feel free to share your thoughts on my performance as this competition's sponsor. It would be extremely helpful. ;)

Last edited by Sean on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Week #14: Night of the Evil Dead
Trance-***
Evil Dead-***
6 Souls-**

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Trance - 3.0
Evil Dead - 3.0
6 Souls - 1.5

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:20 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Trance-***
Evil Dead-***
6 Souls-*1/2

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:59 pm
Assistant Director

Trance: 3.0
Evil Dead: 2.5 (and that would be generous - I think it would be impossible to view this without comparisons to the original cult classic. Copious gore can only carry the film so far).
6 Souls: 2.0 stars (I've actually seen 6 Souls (aka Shelter) and it was very average, but not terrible. It was released in 2010!).

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 am
Cinematographer

Trance - ***
Evil Dead - ***
6 Souls - *

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:06 am
Cinematographer

Trance: ***
The Evil Dead: **
6 Souls: **

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Director

ANGRY FROM LAST WEEK'S DISMAL PERFORMANCE. MUST SMASH.

Trance-- ***
Evil Dead-- ***
6 Souls-- **

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:52 pm
Producer

Trance: ***
Evil Dead: **
6 Souls: * 1/2

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 pm