Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:52 am

This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of March 22, 2013 
Cinematographer

Post This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of March 22, 2013
Another uneventful weekend at the multiplex is upon us. As the first quarter of 2013 winds down, we get another bunch of forgettable films. This week, we will be predicting the final Tomatometer scores for Admission, The Croods, Olympus Has Fallen, and The Sapphires. Here we go.

1. Admission - 51%
As I mentioned in last week's write-up, comedies are a tough act to pull. They need to be consistently funny, while also coming across as mildly intelligent and even heartwarming. Based on its trailers, Admission seems to offer very few of these traits. Paul Rudd and Tina Fey have had their fair share of bumps, and here, they just don't seem worthy of the material. Quite a few critics might find the romantic scenes between Rudd and Fey enjoyable, yet for the most part, Admission looks like yet another run-of-the-mill comedy buried in the midst of March. In some ways, it reminds me of Date Night, the rom-com vehicle for Steve Carell and Tina Fey that was released three years ago this month. I doubt that it will wind up with the 67% (I still ponder how it ended up with a score this high) that Date Night* closed with, but it probably won't end up scraping the bottom of the barrel either. 51% for Admission.

2. The Croods - 71%
The Tomatometer score for The Croods has fluctuated over the course of just the last few days. At one point, it was hovering in the sixties. Now, just three days before its release, it is sitting at a lofty 80%. The springtime is usually not the best season for animated films, even one from the good folks over at Dreamworks. Directed by Chris Sanders (How to Train Your Dragon - 98%) and featuring the voices of Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Catherine Keener, and Cloris Leachman, The Croods looks like a conventional feature-length cartoon that will sporadically entertain young children while alienating their parents. In some ways, it is comparable to Rise of the Guardians. 71% for The Croods.

3. Olympus Has Fallen - 39%
Even a curmudgeon such as me, who hates manic action films with a fiery passion, cannot resist seeing the latest from director Antoine Fuqua (Shooter - 48%, Brooklyn's Finest - 42%). I mean, it looks like Die Hard in the White House. Granted, the trailer doesn't look particularly interesting, and the director is certainly not a reliable sort, yet it nonetheless looks mildly entertaining. Gerard Butler (Playing for Keeps - 4%, Movie 43 - 4%) plays a disgraced Secret Service agent charged with rescuing President Aaron Eckhart (Battle: Los Angeles - 35%) from his North Korean(?) kidnappers. Meanwhile, Morgan Freeman portrays the Speaker of the House who takes over the reins while Butler sorts things out. Traditionally, these kinds of movies traditionally don't do well with critics, although many might consider it a guilty pleasure. It should wind up just a few ticks above Eckhart's earlier invasion escapade, Battle: Los Angeles. 39% for Olympus Has Fallen.

4. The Sapphires - 93%
After hitting theaters in Australia last year, the story of four Aboriginal women whose performance skills end up earning them an invitation to sing for American troops stationed in Vietnam receives a limited release stateside this week. In all honesty, I don't see the Tomatometer changing that much over the course of the next week days. I'm keeping it the way it is. The story itself is fairly predictable, yet nonetheless endearing and endlessly entertaining. Definitely worth a watch, seeing as, in all actuality, there really isn't anything else worth viewing this week. 93% for The Sapphires.

Overally, a fairly disconcerting week for the Rotten Watch. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (Predicted: 46%) closed with a 39%, putting it just within range to fulfill my "within ten" rule. I was way off on The Call (Predicted: 17%), as I applied my own hatred of the film to just about every single critic in the world who saw it. It ended up with a 41%. Finally, I was kicking myself for guessing so low on Spring Breakers (Predicted: 58%). However, seeing as I was busy the last few days, I didn't end up posting this thread until Tuesday afternoon, when the film is sitting at a 70%. Perhaps the score will continue to drop, as the film receives a wider release, but that just isn't how This Rotten Week works. :)

Next week, we will be predicting the final Tomatometer scores for Welcome to the Punch, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, The Place Beyond the Pines, and The Host. See you then.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:38 pm
Auteur

Post Re: This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of March 22, 2013
Admission-64%
The Croods-66%
Olympus Has Fallen-58%
The Sapphires-80%

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 pm
Producer

Post Re: This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of March 22, 2013
Admission: 62%
The Croods: 81%