Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:18 am

Episode #3: Dr. Watson and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 
Cinematographer

Post Episode #3: Dr. Watson and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
I've decided to start including the weekly leaderboards at the beginning of each week's new thread, as well as in the separate thread entitled "So You Think You Know James?" Leaderboard (2013).

Here were James' movie ratings for this week:
Warm Bodies: **1/2
Bullet to the Head: **
Stand Up Guys: No rating

James didn't submit a review for Stand Up Guys, and it is no longer listed under his Upcoming Reviews... sidebar, so no points will be awarded or deducted for those predictions. If James ever does review Stand Up Guys, the predictions submitted under the Week #5: Stallone Antequam Super Bowl thread will be used. If he announces such a review ahead of time under Upcoming Reviews..., new predictions will be permitted.

My most-anticipated film of the 2013 winter movie season is Side Effects, which I am seeing tomorrow, so those who guessed that title correctly received an extra half-point, as did those who took part in this week's This Rotten Week contest. Numbers for that competition will be tabulated once this week's This Rotten Week column goes online on Cinema Blend.

Here are where the numbers stand as of Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM PST:
1. patrick: +1.0 + 0.5 + 0.5 = +2.0
2. Sean: +0.5 - 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = +1.0
3. Blonde Almond: -0.5 - 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = +0.5
3. Vexer: +0.5 + 0.5 - 1.0 + 0.5 = +0.5
4. oafolay: 0.0
4. Pedro: -1.0 - 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 0.0
4. Thom20: 0.0
5. ilovemovies: -0.5 - 0.5 + 0.5 = -0.5
5. KWRoss: 0.0 - 0.5 - 0.5 + 0.5 = -0.5
6. ShrunkenHead: -1.5 - 0.5 - 0.5 = -2.5

patrick is still in the lead. Feel free to correct me if I have made any mistakes tabulating the points.

This week, James will be reviewing Side Effects and Identity Thief. Here are my predictions:

Side Effects - ***
With the exception of a handful of titles, James has consistently given nearly all of Steven Soderbergh's directorial ventures ***, and this one looks no different. As all of you know by now, Side Effects is my most-anticipated movie of the 2013 winter movie season, so I am looking forward to screening it tomorrow. The cast looks impressive, and it might even rank among Soderbergh's best. So far, it is sitting at a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I can't see James giving this latest film by the director of Haywire and Magic Mike anything more than ***. It is Soderbergh's final project for the time being, although I doubt that he will receive sympathy stars simply because of that fact. *** is what I'm wagering for this one.

Identity Thief - **
I cringe every time an advertisement for this film airs. It is beyond aggravating. I enjoyed Melissa McCarthy's performance in Bridesmaids, although I certainly didn't believe that it was Oscar-worthy. That being said, I was shocked to see James give that film only **. Looking through James' reviews of films starring Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman, I can safely say that he isn't a big fan, although he did seem to enjoy Horrible Bosses and Paul. James also tends to have a higher threshold for stupid movies than I do, as evidenced by the *** he gave The Hangover Part II. This one ultimately looks like a toss-up, but seeing as it seems to fall more in the vein of comedies such as Bad Teacher, I think that ** seems fair.

This week, I will be offering more bonus points. As usual, a half-point will be awarded to those who also take part in my This Rotten Week competition. However, those who predict all three titles featured in this week's TRW contest while earning a total of 30% or less will earn an additional full point. That being said, the opportunity to earn a total of 2.5 points lies in the balance this week.

Have fun, kids. Oh, and by the way, what do you think of the titles I've been giving these threads? Clever? Stupid? Be honest now.

Oh, and happy Super Bowl Sunday! Time for me to pretend I watch and/or care about football for about four hours. Then again, maybe there will be some TV spots worth seeing this year.

Last edited by Sean on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Week #6: Dr. Watson and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Side Effects-**1/2(looks pretty mediocre if you ask me)
Identity Thief-**1/2(looks pretty funny, though i'm guessing JB won't like it quite as much as the director's previous films)

I'm proud to say I could not give less of a fuck about the Super Bowl if I tried.

Last edited by Vexer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:30 pm
Assistant Director

Side Effects-- ***
Identity Thief-- **1/2

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:45 pm
Gaffer

Side Effects-***
Identity Theft-**

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:08 pm
Second Unit Director

Side Effects - ***
Identity Theft - **

Do whatever you want with the titles. In year one of my tenure, I did really random titles. In year two, I used the Greek alphabet. Honestly, there's no wrong way of doing things.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Given I've now gone two weeks without a single correct guess, I think it's time to copy the guesses of others. :D

Side Effects - ***
Identity Theft - **

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:17 pm
Second Unit Director

Side Effects-- ***
Identity Thief-- **

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:08 pm
Cinematographer

Side Effects: **1/2
Identity Thief: **

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Side Effects: ***
Identity Thief: **

I'm gonna play it safe this week and stay with 3 stars for Side Effects, but a part of me wants to me to risk it and actually go with 3.5 stars. It's getting some great early reviews. We'll see.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 am