Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:49 pm

This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of April 5, 2013 
Cinematographer

Post This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of April 5, 2013
A rotten week for the prediction game. Hopefully, we can do some damage control this time around, as we predict the final Tomatometer scores for Trance, Evil Dead, and Jurassic Park: An IMAX 3D Experience. Oh, and happy Easter to all of our observant forum members. :)

1. Trance - 72%
Academy Award winner Danny Boyle's latest project is a film about an art heist gone wrong, starring James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, Rosario Dawson, and Michael Fassbender. Thus far, Trance sits at a 77% on the Tomatometer, with 43 reviews already accounted for. I have a feeling that its score will roughly stay the same as the week progresses, although some American critics might contribute negative write-ups that knock down its Tomatometer average. In the end, it looks like Boyle is taking a break from the awards circuit and just having fun, as he crafts a stylish, albeit rather unnecessary and forgettable, piece of pop entertainment. 72% for Trance.

2. Evil Dead - 70%
The original The Evil Dead sits at a 98% on the Tomatometer, with its sequels garnering the exact same score just six years later. Now, this remake, directed by (Internet sensation?) Fede Alvarez, makes its way to theaters. 19 reviews are already in, with a majority of them praising the film for being a gory, ultra-violent blast. As the week goes on, I can see more and more bourgeois elitists knocking down the film's score, but I think that it stays to the right side of the Tomatometer. 70% for Evil Dead.

3. Jurassic Park: An IMAX 3D Experience - 92%
Steven Spielberg's imaginative, beguiling 1993 adventure film, written by David Koepp and author Michael Crichton, is one of the most entertaining cinematic endeavors of the 1990s. Sure, it might have aged somewhat over the past twenty years, but it is still one of my all-time favorite blockbusters. Now, we all get to see both dinosaurs ( :D ) and Jeff Goldblum's face ( :? ) in IMAX 3D. I'm up for it. I think that most critics will be too. 92% for Jurassic Park: An IMAX 3D Experience.

As I mentioned a few paragraphs up, this was a dreadful week for my predictions. I let the first few positive reviews for G.I. Joe: Retaliation sway my opinion towards a prediction of 58%, when the movie ended up closing with a 29%. I was apprehensive about The Host, but perhaps I should have approached it with a bit more trepidation. I predicted that it would end up with a 37%, when in actuality, it wound up with a mere 12%. At least my hatred of all thing's Tyler Perry paid off. My 19% prediction for Temptation was almost on the dot; Madea's latest piece of cinematic offal received a 16%. Likewise, I was off on The Place Beyond the Pines by a handful of points; I predicted an 81%, when it ended up earning a 73%. Finally, the Tomatometer score for Room 237 ended up moving up over the course of the week. My prediction of 90% was just barely off, as the film closed off the week with a 95%.

Next week, we will be predicting the final Tomatometer scores for 42, To the Wonder, and Scary Movie 5. See you then.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:31 pm
Auteur

Post Re: This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of April 5, 2013
Trance-70%
Evil Dead-74%
Jurassic Park-80%

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Post Re: This Rotten Week: Predicting the Weekend of April 5, 2013
Trance - 76%
Evil Dead - 74%
Jurassic Park - 91%