Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Best Credit Sequences 
Post Re: Best Credit Sequences
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the opening for Snatch, but then again with Guy Ritchie's career pretty much going down the toilet after marrying Madonna, maybe it's not too surprising. It was for me definitely one of the coolest opening sequences for a film, both with the prologue action and credits. Like others in this thread, I liked Fincher's sequences in Seven and Fight Club.

Thu May 21, 2009 6:37 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the opening for Snatch, but then again with Guy Ritchie's career pretty much going down the toilet after marrying Madonna, maybe it's not too surprising. It was for me definitely one of the coolest opening sequences for a film, both with the prologue action and credits.

I was just about to mention this. I love the way the characters are introduced.

Others:

Superbad - Great 70s vibe with catchy music.
Watchmen - Brilliant way to introduce an alternate universe.
Sin City - Matching the actors to the comic characters they play
Music & Lyrics - The cheesy 80s video with Hugh Grant
Hostage - Pretty stylish

One of the most original credit sequences I've seen was for Francois Truffaut's adaptation of Fahrenheit 451. In a movie about a future where reading is outlawed, the credits are read in a voiceover with static images in the background.

Also, the simplistic yet moody and somewhat disturbing opening credits to Irreversible. A review I read called them "Kubrick-like" and that's the best description I can give.

Thu May 21, 2009 7:13 pm
The Spider-man movies all have some nice kitschy credit sequences. They're close in style to the truly nifty Creepshow title cards. After watching a movie that features loving homages to comic books I always intend to randomly pick a comic up and take a look through it before losing interest and doing something else instead. One day, though, I'll make my way through V for Vendetta. Comic book, graphic novel -- it's a thin line to me, the uninitiated.

Fri May 22, 2009 12:54 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the opening for Snatch, but then again with Guy Ritchie's career pretty much going down the toilet after marrying Madonna, maybe it's not too surprising. It was for me definitely one of the coolest opening sequences for a film, both with the prologue action and credits. Like others in this thread, I liked Fincher's sequences in Seven and Fight Club.

Woo, yeah that one was so full of energy. Definitely a great sequence culminating with the directed by credit.

Fri May 22, 2009 3:58 am
Trevor wrote:
Ragnarok73 wrote:

Woo, yeah that one was so full of energy. Definitely a great sequence culminating with the directed by credit.

Man, I don't even remember Snatch. I know I saw it and remember Brad Pitt's character being deliberately unintelligible but it ends there. The movie is available on-demand through the middle of next month and it looks like I'll have to give in and give a second look to this movie. This movie, Snatch, which is apparently iconic and yet, possibly due to early-century stresses (read: college), has been obliterated from my stores. That credit sequence better rock my world and the world of everyone I meet for the next two weeks thereafter.

Fri May 22, 2009 5:06 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Comic book, graphic novel -- it's a thin line to me, the uninitiated.
I realize this is hardly the thread for semantical analysis, but there is no line. Comics are comics. It's just that some are particularly good and some are not.

Fri May 22, 2009 8:47 pm
Ken wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Comic book, graphic novel -- it's a thin line to me, the uninitiated.
I realize this is hardly the thread for semantical analysis, but there is no line. Comics are comics. It's just that some are particularly good and some are not.

I've always suspected there wasn't a difference but I've known some that claim graphic novels are "real literature with drawings". It always struck me as defensive.

Fri May 22, 2009 9:07 pm
Back to Fincher for a second: we've established that his films have great opening credits, but he chooses some nice exit music also. The Pixies at the end of Fight Club and (I believe) Bowie at the end of Seven.

majoraphasia wrote:
One day, though, I'll make my way through V for Vendetta. Comic book, graphic novel -- it's a thin line to me, the uninitiated.

I've read a handful at most, but Alan Moore completely fascinates me. I'm contemplating whether to give Lost Girls a read, but I'm afraid the synopsis won't live up to the comic.

Lost Girls is a graphic novel depicting the sexual adventures of three important female fictional characters of the late 19th and early 20th century: Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz, and Wendy Darling from Peter Pan. They meet as adults in 1913, and describe and share some of their erotic adventures with each other.

In addition to the three women's erotic flashbacks, the graphic novel depicts sexual encounters between the women and other guests and staff of the hotel, as well as with each other. The erotic adventures are set against the backdrop of cultural and historic events of the period, such as the debut of Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring and the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Sat May 23, 2009 11:24 am
watched rachel getting married again. loved the ending sequence...again. the violin and the guitar. with rachel stting on the left of the screen. just amazing.

Sat May 23, 2009 11:51 am
I moved the bulk of the Alan Moore discussion to a thread on the Open Forum.
Please try to stay on topic. Thank you.

Mon May 25, 2009 3:59 pm
I think Hitchcock's Vertigo has a great opening sequence (most of it might be Herrmann's music though).
I also like the black, white and red 3D comic book style opening of "Hostage" [edit: has been mentioned above],
I like those simple 2D animated graphics from the 60s a lot (f. ex. Charade): simple but effective and stylish.
Catch Me If You Can evokes those very effectively with those arrows worked into the letters (might be imspired by the North By Northwest lettering).
...and of course almost all James Bond movies have fantastic opening credits (berhaps those silouhettes of girls sans clothes jumping and flying make them a little 'uncool' for some...).

Tue May 26, 2009 7:18 am
I just watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang again and I really liked that opening sequence with the animated graphic-novel/comic-book like effects. Pretty cool stuff!

Sun May 31, 2009 2:46 am
Unke, in bringing up Run Lola Run as a film stiefmo should check out, brought to mind one of the coolest title reveals in recent memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqHipUWLGGY

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 pm
I'm going to throw out The White Ribbon, which literally does nothing particularly innovate except put white credits on a black screen accompanied by no music.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:25 pm
Pedro wrote:
I'm going to throw out The White Ribbon, which literally does nothing particularly innovate except put white credits on a black screen accompanied by no music.

Yup. Truly a case where simplicity was the right call. I admit to being a little freaked out during those credits. It created a heft I wasn't quite ready for.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:46 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Yup. Truly a case where simplicity was the right call. I admit to being a little freaked out during those credits. It created a heft I wasn't quite ready for.

I know what you mean. For me it was the small burst of life offered by the subtitle being scrawled out under Das Weiss Band... these neatly scripted cursive letters and then right back to typed silence.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:55 pm
Watchmen has already been mentioned a couple of times, so I'll go with another from this past year, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:52 am