Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Favorite 'Pretentious' film... 
Post Favorite 'Pretentious' film...
What is your favorite movie to drop the name of when you want to be pretentious? Not out of nowhere, but when you get into those conversations where some one thinks you know nothing about movies?

A Clockwork Orange is mine usually. Not sure if that is normal...lol

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:48 am
Post Re: Favorite 'Pretentious' film...
Duvivier's Le Arachide Pelle de Joie (1937).

(ie, if someone were to cop a 'tude like that, I'd probably just make up a pretentious-sounding movie and see if I could get them to pretend that OF COURSE they'd seen it)

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:15 pm
Pretentious, moi?

It's a great question. Sadly the average person I speak to about movies knows absolutely nothing beyond current box office hits and what the media has sold them. A current year indi movie will more than bamboozle them.

I try really hard not to do this though as experience shows people just shut down if they think you know much more and that you think that they might be stupid.

Amongst my friends I guess I've been guilty. I see alot of non english speaking movies and any one of them would be deemed pretentious. I'm on a Jean Pierre Melville binge at the moment and you can be assured that not too many people I know have heard of "Bob Le Flambeur", "Le Samourai" or "Army of Shadows".

Rob

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:26 pm
Sideways or Das Leber Des Anderen (The Lives of Others) tend to work well :)

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:05 pm
euphoric_daedalus wrote:

wasn't Lives of Others just great? :-)

So sad that the evesdropper / lead actor dies last year

Rob

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:03 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
euphoric_daedalus wrote:

wasn't Lives of Others just great? :-)

So sad that the evesdropper / lead actor dies last year

Rob

The Lives of Others is fantastic. Not sure if I'd call it pretentious though.
I didn't know the lead actor had died. That is sad indeed.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm
I'm ambivalent on how I feel about The Lives of Others. I wasn't impressed, but I didn't give it as much of a chance as I could have. I watched it in three segments due to school fatigue (this means I fell asleep) and I never concentrated to the best of my ability. I doubt I'd like it more than Pan's Labyrinth (which is borderline pretentious). That films is more up my alley; easier to appreciate.

Do concert films count as pretentious? If so, then U2 3D takes the cake. If not... I don't know. It's hard to make an argument that a film's pretentious because most filmmakers don't intend to come off that way. So maybe Written on the Wind. It's so damn color-heavy, it's borderline ridiculous. Being a melodrama doesn't help.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:35 pm
Pedro wrote:
I'm ambivalent on how I feel about The Lives of Others. I wasn't impressed, but I didn't give it as much of a chance as I could have. I watched it in three segments due to school fatigue (this means I fell asleep) and I never concentrated to the best of my ability. I doubt I'd like it more than Pan's Labyrinth (which is borderline pretentious). That films is more up my alley; easier to appreciate.

Do concert films count as pretentious? If so, then U2 3D takes the cake. If not... I don't know. It's hard to make an argument that a film's pretentious because most filmmakers don't intend to come off that way. So maybe Written on the Wind. It's so damn color-heavy, it's borderline ridiculous. Being a melodrama doesn't help.

Pedro

Lives of Others - Serious gaffe - rewatch it one piece as it's a very intense and atmospheric movie that requires your immersion. It really is very good :-)

Rob

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:44 am
Quote:
Lives of Others - Serious gaffe - rewatch it one piece as it's a very intense and atmospheric movie that requires your immersion. It really is very good

"Would you like it gift wrapped?"
"No, it's for me."

I've seen grown men weep to this line :) What a great movie!

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:58 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pretentious, moi?

It's a great question. Sadly the average person I speak to about movies knows absolutely nothing beyond current box office hits and what the media has sold them. A current year indi movie will more than bamboozle them.

Yeah the 'I climbed aboard' crowd? :) I have to say I am surprised sometimes at what people haven't seen that is normal. I mean, I could dig into my brain and pull out Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter and get zero response but that is unfair! lol

I have to say I have not seen Le Samourai but I have heard of it.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:39 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pretentious, moi?

Yeah the 'I climbed aboard' crowd? :) I have to say I am surprised sometimes at what people haven't seen that is normal. I mean, I could dig into my brain and pull out Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter and get zero response but that is unfair! lol

Hi Sci-Fi Wasabe

Le Samourai would be loved by most serious film fans prepared to let a film develop rather than go at Michael Bay speed. Alain Delon is almost hypnotic as the assassin.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter? Hmmm. I've seen Captain Cronos VH but not this one :-)

Rob

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:10 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter? Hmmm. I've seen Captain Cronos VH but not this one :-)

I wouldn't go out of my way to find it -- it makes Troma look high-budget.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:12 pm
Talisker wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Talisker
I watched one Troma movie (Toxic avenger) and realized that unlike Ed Wood there was absolutely no passion behind these efforts. I prefer films that aim for the sky and fail miserably than those that try to do noting at all except hide behind marketing.
Rob

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:44 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Talisker wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Talisker
I watched one Troma movie (Toxic avenger) and realized that unlike Ed Wood there was absolutely no passion behind these efforts. I prefer films that aim for the sky and fail miserably than those that try to do noting at all except hide behind marketing.
Rob

You can't dismiss a company after one movie. At least seek out Troma's War, Surf Nazi's Must Die...and maybe Class of Nuke 'Em High. Then there's Combat Shock, I hated it cause it was so boring but you might like it focuses on characters instead of violence and you are pretentious enough to not let boredom affect your opinions of a movie :D .

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 pm
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. I thought myself and three of my friends were the only ones to have ever seen it! It's worth at least one viewing for the extreme cheese factor. At least for me, it didn't hold up to subsequent viewings.

A lot of people don't think I know a lot about movies. I usually prove them wrong by dissecting David Lynch movies. I feel that if you can find a theme (or discernible plot, for that matter) in Lynch's films, especially his later ones, you know something about the movies!*

*Don't think that's a knock on Lynch. He's one of my favorite directors.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:20 pm
Patrick wrote:
You can't dismiss a company after one movie. At least seek out Troma's War, Surf Nazi's Must Die...and maybe Class of Nuke 'Em High. Then there's Combat Shock, I hated it cause it was so boring but you might like it focuses on characters instead of violence and you are pretentious enough to not let boredom affect your opinions of a movie :D .

I've always been partial to Tromeo and Juliet m'self. I actually have thirty or so Troma movies on DVD -- back about ten years ago, they were selling 'em all for twenty five cents each on their website (no idea why -- my guess is so they could take a tax loss or something).

I've only watched about half of 'em so far; however, they're almost all absolutely terrible. They are handy for making those last couple stragglers go home at the end of movie night, though -- twenty minutes of A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell is enough to drive anyone away. (and no, that movie isn't even a tenth as awesome as the title might suggest)

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
Pretentious, moi?

Hi Sci-Fi Wasabe

Le Samourai would be loved by most serious film fans prepared to let a film develop rather than go at Michael Bay speed. Alain Delon is almost hypnotic as the assassin.

Rob

I watched Sword of Doom the only movie I can think of that moved slower than Kurosawa's Ran lol

I don't know if you can get JCVH just anywhere. Netflix has it, and I rented it from a very cool but now closed specialty shop called Incredibly Strange Video. They only rented b-movie, indy, sci-fi, horror, anime, Asian and foreign films. Nothing mainstream unless it fell into one of those categories. You wouldn't find American Pie in there, but you would find Paycheck. The owner, Bruce, was untouchable in movie lore, especially if it was obscure, bizarre, mondo or just plain off the radar. I miss that place...but if you can find JCVH, it is really entertaining. Not good mind you, but very entertaining!

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:48 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Talisker wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:

Talisker
Rob

I had a chance to meet Lloyd Kaufman and couldn't due to lack of transportation and a rain storm. His book Make Your Own Damn Movie!: Secrets of a Renegade Director might make you change your mind about Troma Films. Not sure watching Billy Bob Thornton in Chopper Chicks in Zombietown will alter that, or viewing Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD. But to me he is what Roger Corman would be if he had even less money.

I like that Troma knows they are putting out crap. But they keep it up for that niche audience that loves trash films. A lot of them seem to like John Waters a lot and Alejandro Jodorowsky...not sure why.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:57 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. I thought myself and three of my friends were the only ones to have ever seen it! It's worth at least one viewing for the extreme cheese factor. At least for me, it didn't hold up to subsequent viewings.

A lot of people don't think I know a lot about movies. I usually prove them wrong by dissecting David Lynch movies. I feel that if you can find a theme (or discernible plot, for that matter) in Lynch's films, especially his later ones, you know something about the movies!*

*Don't think that's a knock on Lynch. He's one of my favorite directors.

I whip out JCVH to see if I can get anyone to sit all the way through it. It has happened every time. I guess they have to see where it all goes. I love the dialogue, love the obvious camera tricks [like the endless carload of Athiests]...I love it all! I watch it ever so often when I just want to not have to worry about plot.

This may be rude to do but it had a very Larry Fessenden feel to it, with the guy who played Jesus doing basically everything. And it brought back memories of my first viewings of Bad Taste and The Stuff where you just have no idea what to expect. Thankfully no one was drinking alien vomit...

Lynch...ugh. I like many of his films, but I hated Lost Highway. I couldn't possibly consume enough alcohol to make sense of, let alone enjoy, that movie. It was as if he just randomly shot things and figured since it didn't make sense that means he's a bad ass...lol He cannot shoot a straight movie...well The Straight Story but you almost have to. Even in The Elephant Man he had to shoot something bizarre...just couldn't help himself! :)

What do I know, I try and sell people on watching Cannibal Holocaust for the message it sends, and The Driver is one of my favorite movies.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:06 pm
[quote=Lynch...ugh. I like many of his films, but I hated Lost Highway. I couldn't possibly consume enough alcohol to make sense of, let alone enjoy, that movie. It was as if he just randomly shot things and figured since it didn't make sense that means he's a bad ass...lol He cannot shoot a straight movie...well The Straight Story but you almost have to. Even in The Elephant Man he had to shoot something bizarre...just couldn't help himself! :)[/quote]

Lost Highway is a tough nut to crack. I've seen it many times, and don't have the complete plot down (unlike Mulholland Drive, which I have figured out pretty well). The thing I like about him is that I am convinced all of his movies have a discernible plot, but are told in such a way that to the casual viewer it may not seem like it. The viewer definitely needs to be active while watching his films.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:35 pm