Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Favorite 'Pretentious' film... 
Post Re: Favorite 'Pretentious' film...
mkratzer21 wrote:
[quote=Lynch...ugh. I like many of his films, but I hated Lost Highway. I couldn't possibly consume enough alcohol to make sense of, let alone enjoy, that movie. It was as if he just randomly shot things and figured since it didn't make sense that means he's a bad ass...lol He cannot shoot a straight movie...well The Straight Story but you almost have to. Even in The Elephant Man he had to shoot something bizarre...just couldn't help himself! :)

Lost Highway is a tough nut to crack. I've seen it many times, and don't have the complete plot down (unlike Mulholland Drive, which I have figured out pretty well). The thing I like about him is that I am convinced all of his movies have a discernible plot, but are told in such a way that to the casual viewer it may not seem like it. The viewer definitely needs to be active while watching his films.[/quote]

Does active mean drunk? :) I think for some I get the gist of it, but he leaves me far behind on others. I consider myself fairly intelligent but wow...sometimes I am just lost! Not just with him though, 12 Monkeys took me awhile to get down and I am not real sure I have it all sewed up really... But one thing I dislike is someone equating weird with good. "If I can't understand it, it must be art" just doesn't sit with me. Ever get those people sometimes?

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:08 pm
[quote=Does active mean drunk? :) I think for some I get the gist of it, but he leaves me far behind on others. I consider myself fairly intelligent but wow...sometimes I am just lost! Not just with him though, 12 Monkeys took me awhile to get down and I am not real sure I have it all sewed up really... But one thing I dislike is someone equating weird with good. "If I can't understand it, it must be art" just doesn't sit with me. Ever get those people sometimes?[/quote]

I definitely do know people who think weirdness=art. But, as the band Type O Negative says, "Don't mistake lack of talent for genius." Like I said, I think Lynch's films can be understood, it just takes a while. And, like you said, a few drinks might not hurt :)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:47 pm
Favorite 'pretentious' film...

2001: A Space Odyssey

Hands down. I mean come on!!!

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:56 pm
Joseph wrote:
Favorite 'pretentious' film...

2001: A Space Odyssey

Hands down. I mean come on!!!

Joseph has been secured to the stake
Tapir jaw bones provided to all members
Let the fun and games begin :-)
Rob

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:10 pm
[quote="mkratzer21"][ (unlike Mulholland Drive, which I have figured out pretty well).

Start a new thread and tell all, I am still scratching my head after several viewing, but that was years ago!

Heck, you don't even have to go foreign to flumux some folks, even mentioning a move like In the Valley of Ellah, or Lars and the Real Girl, would get some stares from folks.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:15 pm
*Insert Clint Eastwood Film Here* :D

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:19 pm
Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors. One of my Top Ten films of all time, but when I show it to others they think I am just trying to be "too smart".

Others have mentioned The Lives of Others. Remarkable, very tense film; couldn't agree more.

One man's pretentious film is another man's drinking game.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:41 pm
I'm one of the few who really likes "The Fountain". If that's not pretentious, then, well, I don't know what is!

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:59 pm
2001 without a doubt. If Kubrick's pretensions are wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:51 pm
Loafer: I too find the Fountain beautiful (if flawed). My pretentious award would go to either Das Kabinett Des Dr. Kaligari or the full 6-hour Bergman film Scener ur ett Äktenskap.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:15 am
GunBehindTheToilet wrote:
2001 without a doubt. If Kubrick's pretensions are wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Hi GBTT

2001 is one of my three favorite movies. i used to think it was pretentious and boring and have moved over the years to visionary and thrilling.

It's strange how some films can change as you get older and have multiple viewings.

i had the privilege of seeing this in 70mm at one of the biggest theaters in the world. it was an amazing xperience.

Rob

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:22 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi GBTT

2001 is one of my three favorite movies. i used to think it was pretentious and boring and have moved over the years to visionary and thrilling.

It's strange how some films can change as you get older and have multiple viewings.

i had the privilege of seeing this in 70mm at one of the biggest theaters in the world. it was an amazing experience.

I would give anything to see 2001 on the big screen. I missed the re-release in '01 and have regretted it ever since.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:40 am
I really dislike the overuse of pretentious as a pejorative. Some movies try to tackle big subjects, and sometimes they fail. It's pretty easy to point and laugh then, but I'd rather give them credit for trying instead of shit, y'know?

The one exception I'd make is for this particular context. Dragging out some Kurosawa or Godard movie or whatever just for the express purpose of browbeating people about how cineliterate I am seems a pretty dick thing to do. Talking down to people is not exactly conductive to a decent conversation.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:20 am
The Last Emporer - no big, or even decently named stars in it, and a long movie that really made you think. I really liked it, but the average A, B, and C moviegoer would just give you a blank stare if you brought this one up.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:27 am
I frequently claim "Funny Games", either version really, is a masterpiece while still maintaining that it's one of the most unwatchable movies ever made. At this point I'm pretty sure it's neither a masterpiece nor completely unwatchable. What to make of a movie that castigates the viewer for sticking around til the end? I hate it and I think it's amazing, depending on the day. That I'll never have to see it again is by far the most satisfying thing about it.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:42 am
How can "The Lives of Others'' can be considered pretentious?
Is it just because it has subtitles?

Anyway, for me it's ''Stalker''. I am the biggest fan of Tarkowski, but this mesmerizing movie currently sits on No 4 of my Top 10 Movie List.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:16 am
The goddamn Fountain.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:16 pm