Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
The most overrated movie of all time... 
Post Re: The most overrated movie of all time...
majoraphasia wrote:
Vexer wrote:
TITANIC!!!!! Man I hate that movie with a goddamn passion!!!! :evil: It's just so overrated it sickens me to my stomahc, same goes for Sound Of Music and the Lord Of The Rings films, i'll gladly take an Uwe Boll films over those overrated crapfests ANY day!

Titanic always makes the list and, hell, it probably even makes mine. I liked it all the same. It's impeccable from a technical end and, beyond that, it's a simple story told exceptionally well. I'd even go so far to say that it's the best version of the "basic" love story that gets piped into theaters dozens of times every year. Whatever it lacks in story, character, and "scope" it makes up for in the balls-out execution. Hard not to admire Titanic, one of the more complete movies I can think of. Impossible to love it, though. It's a simple story done perfectly but it's still simple at the end of the day.

For me, the technical aspects of the film are much less important then all the other factors such as acting, sotry, etc, cause it dosen't make any difference how good a film is presented if everything else about it sucks major ass, which hpapens to be the case with Titanic, that movie scarred me as a kid, and I would NEVER even consider watching it again even if I got paid to do it! :evil:

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:58 pm
Vexer wrote:
For me, the technical aspects of the film are much less important then all the other factors such as acting, sotry, etc, cause it dosen't make any difference how good a film is presented if everything else about it sucks major ass, which hpapens to be the case with Titanic, that movie scarred me as a kid, and I would NEVER even consider watching it again even if I got paid to do it! :evil:

You're, of course, completely right. I'd argue the same point on a typical day: the technical merit of Titanic is not enough alone to convince me of its greatness. If the story had been more challenging it would have been manyfold times more impressive.

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:33 pm
Iron Man

I wouldn't call the movie bad, I just never understood all the praise. For some reason this drivel gets to sit alongside The Dark Knight for reinventing the superhero genre. The movie pleases aesthetically, but the overall story is severely lacking. There is no conflict aside from the villain being thrown in at the end, and there are serious plot holes. Aside from Downey Jr., there is really nothing redeeming about this movie. It is decent/solid at best and does not come close to pushing the superhero genre to any sort of new height.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:19 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Iron Man

I wouldn't call the movie bad, I just never understood all the praise. For some reason this drivel gets to sit alongside The Dark Knight for reinventing the superhero genre. The movie pleases aesthetically, but the overall story is severely lacking. There is no conflict aside from the villain being thrown in at the end, and there are serious plot holes. Aside from Downey Jr., there is really nothing redeeming about this movie. It is decent/solid at best and does not come close to pushing the superhero genre to any sort of new height.

Man, I hear you. I was unclear on what made it so wonderful. It was an above-average popcorn flick but it lacked anything that would single it out as special. Like I Am Legend, it's the very definition of the C+ -- a movie that doesn't force anyone's mind to wander. At best.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Man, I hear you. I was unclear on what made it so wonderful. It was an above-average popcorn flick but it lacked anything that would single it out as special. Like I Am Legend, it's the very definition of the C+ -- a movie that doesn't force anyone's mind to wander. At best.

I'm with you on the above-average popcorn flick. I liked Robert Downey Jr. in it, so I might be inclined to single out his performance as special, but I wouldn't argue the point with much conviction.

You lose me when you compare it to I Am Legend, though. I have a weird affection for both zombie flicks and post-apocalyptic flicks, as well as an increasingly illogical desire to like Will Smith flicks; I still haven't managed to stay awake for the whole thing.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:55 am
Tuco wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I'm with you on the above-average popcorn flick. I liked Robert Downey Jr. in it, so I might be inclined to single out his performance as special, but I wouldn't argue the point with much conviction.

You lose me when you compare it to I Am Legend, though. I have a weird affection for both zombie flicks and post-apocalyptic flicks, as well as an increasingly illogical desire to like Will Smith flicks; I still haven't managed to stay awake for the whole thing.

It's a guess but I'd put some money on people wanting, hoping against all very hope, Iron Man to work because of Robert Downey Jr. It's not a stretch, is it? As good as he is I still can't think of any other actor that audiences are so willing to throw their good will behind no matter what he's doing on screen. He's a good actor, he was good in Iron Man... but I'd be lying to you if I said the movie succeeds on his performance. The movie, really, doesn't set any particularly lofty goals and so Downey doing a reasonable job with a role isn't jaw-dropping. How challenging, really, is the role of Tony Stark?

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:55 am
another vote for "iron man really wasn't that great".
i mean, it was good and all, it never made any big missteps but it wasn't revolutionary either. downey jr. excelled, writing, directing, acting were all acceptable. maybe people were still thinking of spiderman 3 when they went in to see this one. remember the beat when the full suit first appears? now that was something.

PS- i think you may have something here, major.

PPS-the inclusion of paltrow and all her ....glow doesn't hurt, either.

i must say though, it doesn't belong in this thread.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:22 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Tuco wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

It's a guess but I'd put some money on people wanting, hoping against all very hope, Iron Man to work because of Robert Downey Jr. It's not a stretch, is it? As good as he is I still can't think of any other actor that audiences are so willing to throw their good will behind no matter what he's doing on screen. He's a good actor, he was good in Iron Man... but I'd be lying to you if I said the movie succeeds on his performance. The movie, really, doesn't set any particularly lofty goals and so Downey doing a reasonable job with a role isn't jaw-dropping. How challenging, really, is the role of Tony Stark?

I think Downey Jr. benefits from America's obsession with second chances and redemption stories. People love nothing more than to root for a guy who was once down and is now back on top. His acting skills, while very, very good, are going to be inflated in most people's minds because of this phenomena. Hollywood producers aren't dumb and realize if they giving him an easy, safe, likable role in a big budget production like Iron Man, is only going to increase the number of theater patrons.

As for the role of Tony Stark, that's one of the easiest roles of Downey's career. For an actor of his caliber, that role doesn't provide much of a challenge, just big $$$.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:35 am
aameen wrote:
i mean, it was good and all, it never made any big missteps but it wasn't revolutionary either. downey jr. excelled, writing, directing, acting were all acceptable. maybe people were still thinking of spiderman 3 when they went in to see this one. remember the beat when the full suit first appears? now that was something.

Maybe it isn't the "most overrated movie of all time", but 11 pages into the thread, I think the topic has devolved enough to say we're just naming generally overrated movies at this point. I think Iron Man is decent, but not great, as many claim. To me, that equals overrated.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:42 am
PeachyPete wrote:
aameen wrote:

Maybe it isn't the "most overrated movie of all time", but 11 pages into the thread, I think the topic has devolved enough to say we're just naming generally overrated movies at this point. I think Iron Man is decent, but not great, as many claim. To me, that equals overrated.

well, yeah pete. i wasn't saying "this shouldn't be discussed here", it was just a way of saying that the movie has some merit.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 am
majoraphasia wrote:

I know what you mean. I would add John Cusack and George Clooney to the "beneficiaries of astonishing audience goodwill" list, but your point is well taken.

In any case, I wasn't arguing that the role of Tony Stark was challenging. I wasn't intending so much to make a point about Iron Man at all so much as arguing that I Am Legend really sucked, and as such, I had a beef with your comparison.

I like McDonalds hamburgers. I liked Iron Man in about the same way. I liked Robert Downey Jr. in it, primarily because he can pull off that amusingly smug asshole persona in his sleep, which is pretty much what he did.

Will Smith, who used to crack me up and whom I used to regard as being worth seeing a movie in, is now perilously close to that 'please God NO!!!!" territory that I thought Robin Williams had fenced off for himself.

Sigh . . . I need to type more carefully.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:31 pm
Tuco wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

I know what you mean. I would add John Cusack and George Clooney to the "beneficiaries of astonishing audience goodwill" list, but your point is well taken.

In any case, I wasn't arguing that the role of Tony Stark was challenging. I wasn't intending so much to make a point about Iron Man at all so much as arguing that I Am Legend really sucked, and as such, I had a beef with your comparison.

I like McDonalds hamburgers. I liked Iron Man in about the same way. I liked Robert Downey Jr. in it, primarily because he can pull off that amusingly smug asshole persona in his sleep, which is pretty much what he did.

Will Smith, who used to crack me up and whom I used to regard as being worth seeing a movie in, is now perilously close to that 'please God NO!!!!" territory that I thought Robin Williams had fenced off for himself.

Sigh . . . I need to type more carefully.

No no... I need to read more carefully. I didn't take your original comments on I Am Legend as intense dislike. I found I Am Legend totally mediocre and Iron Man more or less totally mediocre. There aims aren't impressive and they accomplish exactly what the set out to do. Nobody in either movie outreaches their grasp because they haven't set out to do anything important.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:23 pm
Producer

Moonstruck
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Tropic Thunder
Hard Candy
Sweeney Todd

LOTS of others yet none of them compare to THE single most overrated movie of all time:

INSIDE!

Of all the movies I have ever seen, that is the one that I honestly can not fathom why people like it!

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:20 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Moonstruck
Tropic Thunder
Hard Candy
Sweeney Todd

LOTS of others yet none of them compare to THE single most overrated movie of all time:

INSIDE!

Of all the movies I have ever seen, that is the one that I honestly can not fathom why people like it!

What is Inside? I have never even heard of it. Maybe the people that see it like it, but you can't really call cult hits the most overrated since not that many people see them and rate them highly in the first place.
Or am I off-base here and this is a movie most people know?

Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:47 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Moonstruck
Tropic Thunder
Hard Candy
Sweeney Todd

INSIDE!

ive gotta disagree on hard candy here. i think it deserves every bit of praise its got and more. a very intense experience where the characters were always a step ahead.

also, sweeney todd - overrated? its an average movie with average reception as far as im concerned.

agree on tropic thunder. it had something, but not that much.

PS-dont know about inside either. imdb has 8 or 9 movies by that name.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:18 am
Producer

Inside is one of those foreign language horror flicks like Ills and Rec, ect. except those were good movies and I thought Inside was pure garbage.

It's about a pregnant woman being terrorised by a psycho woman. I've seen so many people seem to love it and for the life of me I can't understand at all. It's one of the most vile, sickest and most reprehensible movies I have ever seen.

I thought of another movie:

A lot of people seem to like Feast, the third and final Project Greenlight flick. But I'm in complete agreement on James's ZERO star review.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:52 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Inside is one of those foreign language horror flicks like Ills and Rec, ect. except those were good movies and I thought Inside was pure garbage.

It's about a pregnant woman being terrorised by a psycho woman. I've seen so many people seem to love it and for the life of me I can't understand at all. It's one of the most vile, sickest and most reprehensible movies I have ever seen.

I thought of another movie:

A lot of people seem to like Feast, the third and final Project Greenlight flick. But I'm in complete agreement on James's ZERO star review.

I saw Inside at Horrorhound with some hardcore horror films and even they there were sickened by the gore, cause what ilovemovies failed to mention that it's one of the goriest films ever made. It was an awesome experience and I like the movie, but then again I'm probably insane.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:07 am
Gaffer

The French Connection
Marathon Man
Rear Window
High Noon
Blade Runner
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Matrix
The Empire Strikes Back
Bad Santa

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:12 am
JanuaryMan -

I agree. Some of those movies, on repeat viewing, seem very dated today (French Connection, Butch Cassidy). I very often feel that way about movies that came out during that late 60's/early 70's timeframe.

But Rear Window? You're killin' me! :D One of my alltime favorites, and I don't think it gets the respect it deserves.

Matrix, however...with all the hype, how could it not be overrated?

And speaking of hype: I couldn't remember if anyone had mentioned Blair Witch Project in this thread yet, so just to be safe I'll mention it again. Blair Witch Project. Overrated.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:28 am
HomerJ wrote:
JanuaryMan -

I agree. Some of those movies, on repeat viewing, seem very dated today (French Connection, Butch Cassidy). I very often feel that way about movies that came out during that late 60's/early 70's timeframe.

But Rear Window? You're killin' me! :D One of my alltime favorites, and I don't think it gets the respect it deserves.

Matrix, however...with all the hype, how could it not be overrated?

And speaking of hype: I couldn't remember if anyone had mentioned Blair Witch Project in this thread yet, so just to be safe I'll mention it again. Blair Witch Project. Overrated.

UGH!!! How could I forget to mentione Blair Witch? Why that movie is so loved I will NEVER understand, plus it pretty much singlehandedly kickstarted the trend of using the shaky-cam techinique to simulate tensions and action, I certainly recall many films made before Blair Witch that used the shaky-cam technique, i'll bet Michael Bay took more then a few pointers from it. Another massively overrated film is Miracleinspirational sports films are one of my aboslute LEAST favorite types of films because they're all practically identical to one another, and Miracle was by far the most difficult one to sit though for me, hell i'd rather watch Mighty Ducks then that overrated film!

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:03 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next