Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
The most overrated movie of all time... 
Post The most overrated movie of all time...
For mine it's The Shawshank Redemption, good movie and all but the way people go on and on about it...

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:37 am
Post Re: The most overrated movie of all time...
Vic wrote:
For mine it's The Shawshank Redemption, good movie and all but the way people go on and on about it...

Hi Vic,

You're going to get some flack for this, but you already know that :-)

I'll just say one word:

Patton

Rob

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:44 am
James,

I'm kidding re Patton :-)

Rob

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:45 am

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:54 am
Talisker

Citizen Kane sucks?

Go wash your mouth out with soap right now!

Hilarious :-)

Rob

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:08 am
Off topic - i've had a glass of wine - or two

I see a future where we can all sync up to a movie and chat and post while we watch

Can you imagine?

What fun!

Rob

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:09 am
Robert, send some of that wine stateside!

I've always thought that Easy Rider was severely overrated. I didn't see it as a celebration of the counter-culture, just a muddled mess of a movie.

Among more modern movies, a lot of my friends (actually, all of them who have seen it) love The Ring. I was bored by it.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:33 am
I think Scarface is the most overrated movie of the times right now. Pacino's character is over-idolized and it really makes me sick.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:29 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Off topic - i've had a glass of wine - or two

I see a future where we can all sync up to a movie and chat and post while we watch

Can you imagine?

What fun!

Rob

you don't have any idea of how COOL that would be. most overrated film ever? can't remember any right now, I guess I just have more or less the same tastes as the majority of the public... I'll try to remember any, though.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:27 am
Usually a good 75% of "classic" movies don't do it for me. Some are good, some are horribly boring but none are actually great.

But I do agree with Scarface. But I don't think Easy Rider counts. Nobody is a pot-smoking hippie anymore so any message Easy Rider may or may not be saying is probably lost.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:13 am
And I just thought of something else, Manhattan.

Everybody gushes over it saying it's Woody Allen's best and I hate it. I hate everything about it. I hate everyone who loves it. I hate everything associated with it but luckily I don't hate everyone associated with it. I'm sure that as bad as Hollywood Ending, Scoop and whatever else of Woody's is supposed to suck I'm sure that they can't be as bad as Manhattan.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:30 am
Site Admin

slmaldonado wrote:
I think Scarface is the most overrated movie of the times right now. Pacino's character is over-idolized and it really makes me sick.

You may want to watch Gomorrah, which makes a none-too-subtle point about the idolization of Pacino's character.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:36 am
Profile WWW
In recent time I would say Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I heard so much about it and it was hyped and anticipated and...then we get that?

Not sure how you would classify it but Magnolia was awful. Just boring, seemed forced. I kept hearing how it was the next coming of Short Cuts and it damn sure wasn't. Spanglish and Lost in Translation were lauded and wound up being let downs. Not that I expected a huge effort from Adam Sandler but after Punch Drunk Love I was hopeful. It just didn't lead anywhere and the end mad no sense to everything that came before. Lost was too slow...I don't mind a slower film but you have to get going sometime!

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:43 am
Site Admin

Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:
In recent time I would say Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I heard so much about it and it was hyped and anticipated and...then we get that?

Not sure I'd call it overrated. Yes, it was hyped but I think the general consensus after people saw it was that it didn't live up to expectations.

I put my review up a few days before it opened, and I remember being lambasted for my not-too-enthusiastic opinion. The tide changed markedly after people got a chance to see the movie.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:56 am
Profile WWW
James Berardinelli wrote:
slmaldonado wrote:

You may want to watch Gomorrah, which makes a none-too-subtle point about the idolization of Pacino's character.

Funny, I'm going to see this tonight. Did you review it?

Rob

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:32 pm
Sci Fi Wasabi wrote:

Not sure I'd call it overrated. Yes, it was hyped but I think the general consensus after people saw it was that it didn't live up to expectations.

I put my review up a few days before it opened, and I remember being lambasted for my not-too-enthusiastic opinion. The tide changed markedly after people got a chance to see the movie.

Hopefully nobody on this forum lambasted you James.
My girlfriend and I were rolling our eyes as the film came to it's conclusion

The tragedy is that there was rumored to be a script by Darabont that Lucas rejected for the current effort!

The word disappointing sums up that film for me

Rob

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:34 pm
Site Admin

Robert Holloway wrote:

Funny, I'm going to see this tonight. Did you review it?

Rob

Didn't review it. I didn't much care for it the first time I saw it. It worked better on a second viewing because I was no longer as confused by what was going on. I felt similarly about A Christmas Tale. The problem is that Gomorrah isn't really the kind of movie you'd want to watch more than once.

Although it may seem like I must review everything, I actually review only about 75% of what I see theatrically in a given year, so a lot of smaller films that I see several weeks after they open don't get a review. It's a matter of time management. Of course, if I see something late or off the beaten track that I believe is a potential Top 10 contender or otherwise worthy of special mention, I may review it.

To get back on topic, one of my most overrated movies is Bergman's The Seventh Seal. Also The Ten Commandments, which is godawful. Then there's The High and the Mighty, which was kept out of circulation for decades and gained a reputation as "a lost treasure." So, when it was finally released, I picked up a copy, watched it, and promptly wished it had remained lost.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
slmaldonado wrote:

I saw Scarface last year (for the first time) and thought it was an awful movie...

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:51 pm
Everything by DePalma is overrated. Some of his films are good, but none of them are great. Also his most recent film Redacted was so bad I had more fun watching Bride Wars. No joke

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:11 pm
Shelobfan wrote:
Everything by DePalma is overrated. Some of his films are good, but none of them are great. Also his most recent film Redacted was so bad I had more fun watching Bride Wars. No joke

Shelobfan

Everything? recently, for sure. But I thought Obsession, Blow Out, Carrie, Dressed To Kill , Body Double, Mission Impossible were all really interesting movies.

I have never loved Untouchables.

I loved Scarface on first viewing and each subsequent viewing has seen me like it less.

There have been alot of stinkers though.

Rob

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:54 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next