Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:47 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Movies that terrified you 
Author Message
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Colin wrote:
Alien - Just watched it recently for the first time...not a good idea to watch late at night home alone when it's rainy out...I couldn't believe how much this movie scared me even now.

The Thing - By far the movie that has had the most lasting impression on me. Watched it with my dad when I was younger and it scared the CRAP out of me. Couldn't sleep for a couple days, nightmares about that dog creature thing...ugh. Even to this day I can watch it and it still gives me the genuine creeps. Awesome movie.


Yes, The Thing is a remarkable scary movie with the kind of staying power that only John Carpenter and few others can produce. Plus, it's got Kurt Russell in it...Hello? Kurt Russell?


Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:15 pm
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
The exorcist, house of 1000 corpses, and....seriously now Pee Wee Herman, I watched Pee Wee Herman film as a child and slept outside my parents door for about three weeks, I was terrefied.

IT also scared me as a child but not so much now....


Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:19 pm
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Leopolda wrote:
The exorcist, house of 1000 corpses, and....seriously now Pee Wee Herman, I watched Pee Wee Herman film as a child and slept outside my parents door for about three weeks, I was terrefied.

IT also scared me as a child but not so much now....



Pee Wee Herman was the stuff of nightmares. Did you ever watch Pee Wee's Playhouse? There was this disembodied glowing green head in a box named Jambi and people sang when he came out to play and he was often heard repeating the phrase "Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho"...ok I don't want to talk about this anymore...


Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:49 pm
Gaffer

Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:32 pm
Posts: 15
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Tourist Trap


Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:47 am
Profile
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
JanuaryMan wrote:
Tourist Trap


Holy shit! I've gone about for years assuming I hallucinated Tourist Trap -- nobody saw it on late-night cable, apparently. I can't tell you anything about it save for my viewing it in the dead of night, creeped out by dolls with an agenda. Chuck Connors, I think. Weird. I'll have to see if this one's on Netflix.


Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:37 am
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Just watched The Descent last night. Very effective. The claustrophobic feel got to me after a while. A good scare, LOTS of tension, equal amount of blood.


Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:32 pm
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Well, I mean listen, I'm more or less a grown man now so I don't go around being scared of movies all that much anymore. But if anyone, even more or less grown men such as myself, should say that they're not still scared shitless by The Wheelers from Return to Oz then they're totally lying. Those guys nearly ruined my childhood

Image


Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:39 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Moovy1 wrote:
Colin wrote:
Alien - Just watched it recently for the first time...not a good idea to watch late at night home alone when it's rainy out...I couldn't believe how much this movie scared me even now.

The Thing - By far the movie that has had the most lasting impression on me. Watched it with my dad when I was younger and it scared the CRAP out of me. Couldn't sleep for a couple days, nightmares about that dog creature thing...ugh. Even to this day I can watch it and it still gives me the genuine creeps. Awesome movie.


Yes, The Thing is a remarkable scary movie with the kind of staying power that only John Carpenter and few others can produce. Plus, it's got Kurt Russell in it...Hello? Kurt Russell?



The Thingis the only horror film I've seen that scares the crap out of me. This film completets it tasks better than what most horror films this decade tries to.


Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 am
Profile YIM
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
corpen11 wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:
Colin wrote:
Alien - Just watched it recently for the first time...not a good idea to watch late at night home alone when it's rainy out...I couldn't believe how much this movie scared me even now.

The Thing - By far the movie that has had the most lasting impression on me. Watched it with my dad when I was younger and it scared the CRAP out of me. Couldn't sleep for a couple days, nightmares about that dog creature thing...ugh. Even to this day I can watch it and it still gives me the genuine creeps. Awesome movie.


Yes, The Thing is a remarkable scary movie with the kind of staying power that only John Carpenter and few others can produce. Plus, it's got Kurt Russell in it...Hello? Kurt Russell?



The Thingis the only horror film I've seen that scares the crap out of me. This film completets it tasks better than what most horror films this decade tries to.



There are some films that one might see and think, if that were cast any different it would have been crap. I get that impression when thinking about Carpenters The Thing.


Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Kyle wrote:
Well, I mean listen, I'm more or less a grown man now so I don't go around being scared of movies all that much anymore. But if anyone, even more or less grown men such as myself, should say that they're not still scared shitless by The Wheelers from Return to Oz then they're totally lying. Those guys nearly ruined my childhood.


I just spent a good chunk of time looking for this thread to mention The Wheelers. Damn you Kyle... That and the headless queen.

Also wanted to throw out the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Gmork from The Neverending Story. Those characters really creeped me out when I was younger.

And thank you guys...read through the thread and added a few recommends to the Netflix queue.


Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:08 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
The 2007 version of "Funny Games", most recently.

I'd probably put "The Exorcist", "Alien", and "Aliens" up in the top.

And at the time, when I was only 12-13, I decided to watch "The Ring" on my couch, by myself, in the dark. When Samara comes THROUGH the TV.....wow. Again, I was 12 or 13, but still, I still think that movie is creepy and massively underrated, although I realize I might stand alone there.

Also, when I was maybe a little older, the ending sequence of "Saw" was extremely disturbing and distressing
[Reveal] Spoiler:
when you see the old man start to get up?! And when he shuts the door, all you hear is Adam screaming
.

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
DunkinDan89 wrote:
And at the time, when I was only 12-13, I decided to watch "The Ring" on my couch, by myself, in the dark. When Samara comes THROUGH the TV.....wow. Again, I was 12 or 13, but still, I still think that movie is creepy and massively underrated, although I realize I might stand alone there.


No...not alone. That movie set a mood...and it totally creeped me out throughout. I don't care that the ending was a bit of a cop out, the entire film had a tone and feeling about it that affected me. Hell...the damn phone ringing. Still to this day, if the phone rings late at night, you know, when it shouldn't ring...


Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:51 pm
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Alien: This experience was like slowly sliding down an ever tightening tube. Tension just built and continued to build.

The Thing: Kept me in a state of suspense throughout. Probably the best I've seen

1408: Good atmosphere, a sense of foreboding throughout most of it.

The Descent: What can I say? This is Jaws in a cave. (with a box of scraps)


Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:10 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1230
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Jesus Camp. The only thing more terrifying than the sheltered, narrow-minded, outdated, dogmatic views of religious fundamentalists (of ANY religion) is seeing adults who hold these views brainwashing children with them. :o


Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:52 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 2022
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
One scene that really got me is right in the middle of One Hour Photo. It's the one where Robin Williams is walking through the house.

The Descent is the most recent movie that really go me, although 1408 is really effective.

_________________
Evil does not wear a bonnet!--Mr. Tinkles


Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:42 pm
Profile
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Yeah I thought 1408 was pretty underrated as far as horror films go. It had the same claustrophobic feel to it as The Decent (although not to the same degree I admit) and Cusack did a remarkable job of carrying this film almost single handedly.


Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 pm
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
Paranormal Activity freaked the bejeezus out of me, it honestly made The Blair Witch Project look funny in comparison. Filmmakers have been trying to copy Blair's success since it came out in '99 with films like Cloverfield and Quarantine, but Paranormal actually did it and better. The slow build up was fantastic, but the two scenes that really did me in were
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the second to last night scene where you see the shadow pass over the door, Katie's foot exposed from the covers of her bed before she is pulled out and down the hall, screaming all the way while Micah tries to wrestle her away from the invisible demon, and the last night scene when the possessed Katie sleep walks out of bed and the bed covers are pulled off of Micah by the demon, Katie walks down the stairs and begins to scream what is possibly the most terrifying, blood curdling scream I've ever heard in my life.
That movie was genuinely terrifying and I cannot wait to watch it again.


Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:46 am
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
There's an entire site dedicated to childhood memories/trauma over specific scenes in movies.

I remembered a scene in a film, I must have been 3 or 4 when I saw it on television, wherein a little girl pulled off her teddy bear's eye and the bear started to bleed. Scared the shit out of me. It was in 'Still of the Night', a forgotten Meryl Streep film from 1982. I found that info out right here:

http://www.kindertrauma.com/


Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:45 pm
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
As a rule, I get creeped out more than scared exactly but as a result, horror films have never been my thing.
Blair Witch stayed with me for a while(especially after seeing it and going to a family cabin in the middle of nowhere a few weeks later). However, the movie that scared me the most at any point in my life would be The Shining. When I was about 6 or so, my brothers were watching it on VHS. They are 8 and 10 years older than me respectively and well, I was a bit of a pest to them at the time. I wanted them to play with me and I didn't take no until one of them roughed me up a bit. This led to a a lecture from my mom for them to include me(she was unaware of what they were watching, only that I wanted in). So they did. And moments later I saw the little girls peddling down the hallway for the first time. My brothers repeatedly whispered REDRUM in my ear and i was sufficiently freaked out. Now the part that really got to me was my brothers decided to exact revenge for their lecture they had to endure, so when I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom as I always did and looked at the mirror above the toilet in my sleepy stupor, I saw MURDER in the reflection written in what looked like blood to a 6yr old. Of course the "blood" was red lipstick as my brother had scrawled REDRUM on the wall across from the mirror. As i screamed and ran into my parents room, my brothers sprang into action and quickly erased their prank leading my parents to believe I had a bad dream despite my arguments to the contrary. It wasn't for about 15 years that they would admit to having played the joke on me. As a result, even as a teen when I passed a house on my block whose window in their basement door was broken(in which they would place a cardboard head of good old JACK in the hole like he looked crashing through the door on Olive Oil) I would walk past really really fast cause I got the chills. I couldnt bring myself to watch the film again until my mid 20s.


Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:03 pm
Post Re: Movies that terrified you
The Exorcist -- mostly because i built it up in my mind before seeing it.

Blue Velvet -- mostly because everyone in that movie is effing insane.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) -- mostly because of its tonal quality. i had this clinched feeling throughout the whole thing.


Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:01 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr