Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Your favorite Danny Boyle film is...? 
Post Re: Your favorite Danny Boyle film is...?
1. Shallow Grave
My favourite Danny Boyle film mostly because I used to live in a sort of similar flat in Edinburgh for a year (with much nicer flatmates, although the flatmate who owned the flat was very fond of doing interviews of potential new flatmates Shallow Grave-style). I second Rob's enthusiastic recommendation of the film.

2. Trainspotting
Brilliant adaptation of the book, because the screenplay makes a coherent story out of the many episodes - or rather short stories - in the book. The last post-credits shot is wrong, though. I would recommend another adaptation of an Ian Welsh book called Acid House to anybody who likes Trainspotting.

3. 28 Days Later
Very good Zombie (sorry, Infected) Horror movie, although I don't like the ending.

4. Slumdog Millionaire
Very good film and would take 3rd spot if I didn't have a preference for Zombie films. But why all the funny camera angles?

5. Sunshine
Nice throwback to 1970ies Sci-Fi movies such as Silent Running with great visuals, although it drops the ball at the end when it turns into an Alien rip-off.

6. The Beach
Mediocre at best, unravels in the end. Do I sense a trend here?

7. A love less ordinary
I absolutely hated this film from beginning to end.

Haven't seen any of the others (yet).

EDIT: Added Slumdog Millionaire after having finally seen it.

Last edited by Unke on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:55 am
Yes Unke, I think there's a pattern there. Boyle often has weak endings to his films.

Even though I like some of his other films better, he finally nailed an ending with Slumdog.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:12 am
OK class, Professor Unke has spoken.

This weeks assignment is to watch Shallow Grave and come back here with an opinion :-)

Rob

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 am
Unke wrote:
1. Shallow Grave
My favourite Danny Boyle film mostly because I used to live in a sort of similar flat in Edinburgh for a year (with much nicer flatmates, although the flatmate who owned the flat was very fond of doing interviews of potential new flatmates Shallow Grave-style). I second Rob's enthusiastic recommendation of the film.

I'm envious, all my friends and i continue to say that flat is somewhere we'd all live to live
Rob

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:44 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Unke wrote:
1. Shallow Grave

I'm envious, all my friends and i continue to say that flat is somewhere we'd all live to live
Rob

Hi Rob,

You wouldn't be envious of the endless discussions on who has to do the dishes ;)

Unke

Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:36 pm
I've yet to see a poor film from Danny Boyle, but then again I've only seen four of his films. Shallow Grave sounds interesting, will have to check it out. Aameen, you should check out Sunshine too, parts of it are sheer brilliance.

1. Trainspotting 9/10
2. Sunshine 8/10 (if the ending was better, hell even if it was coherent this would be #1)
3. Slumdog Millionaire 8/10 (I don't know if this was in the book, but the toilet dive was done already in Trainspotting)
4. 28 Days Later 8/10

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:21 am
I like Boyle a lot. Of the ones I've seen, I would go...

Shallow Grave, A
Trainspotting, A
The Beach, B+
28 Days Later, A-
Sunshine, C+
Slumdog Millionaire, C

I'm pretty sure I've seen all of A Life Less Ordinary, too, but I don't remember it well enough to grade it

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 pm
I liked every Boyle movie I have seen so far. In order from least favorite to most.

Millions (*** out ot ****)
28 Days Later (***1/2 out of ****)
Slumdog Millionaire (***1/2 out of ****)
Sunshine (***1/2 out of ****)

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:31 pm
Kyle wrote:
I like Boyle a lot. Of the ones I've seen, I would go...

Shallow Grave, A
Trainspotting, A
The Beach, B+
28 Days Later, A-
Sunshine, C+
Slumdog Millionaire, C

I'm pretty sure I've seen all of A Life Less Ordinary, too, but I don't remember it well enough to grade it

Is this another vote for Shallow Grave?
Me thinks so

What does it take to get these laggards to watch it :-)

We're awaiting your comments!
Rob

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:53 am
Yeah, Shallow Grave is far and away my favorite Boyle film. The last ten or so minutes of that thing are just about perfect

"Oh yes, I believe in friends. I believe we need them. But if one day you find that you just can't trust them anymore... well... what then?"

*cue Andy Williams*

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:04 am
Director

I love Boyle. He's one of the most diverse directors working right now. Here in order from top to bottom.

1: Trainspotting
2: 28 Days Later
3: Slumdog Millionaire
4: 127 Hours
5: Millions
6: Shallow Grave
7: Sunshine

I rank all these in the good to great category. Now on to the lesser ones.

8: The Beach
9: A Life Less Ordinary

The Beach was a noble failure that worked good in premise yet failed in execution. A Life Less Ordinary could've been a great dark comedy. But the sentimentality dragged it down.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:23 am
I actually enjoyed The Beach, mostly because of it's sheer absurdity and WTF moments, and it was the first film where I was truly impressed by Di Caprio's acting abilities(I actually think he was better in that film then he was in Inception, where he just seemed to be going through the motions)

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:16 am
Producer

I've only seen Millions and Slumdog Millionaire, which I'd give an A and B+ to. Millions being ranked as more of a children's movie. I think of it as a Christmas movie although the deadline is New Year's.

That's a really interesting collection of films.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:24 pm