Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Movies Where the MPAA Assigned the Wrong Rating 
Post Movies Where the MPAA Assigned the Wrong Rating
I'll start: Slumdog Millionaire. Despite some tough violence and brief language, any teenager could watch this and not be scarred.

Also: this is not the topic to start a debate on the merits of the MPAA. Someone else can create that topic.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:32 pm
Post Re: Movies Where the MPAA Assigned the Wrong Rating
I'll have to think about this a bit more, but how about something from the same year: Frost/Nixon was rated R. Imdb tells me it was for language. So what? Has anyone heard the way school kids speak? I'm sure they swear a lot more than Frost and Nixon.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:45 pm
Critic

There are some questions where you have a perfect answer. This is one of them. The answer?

Waiting for Guffman is SOMEHOW rated R.

The movie is essentially G-rated. There's no violence of any kind, and no nudity of any kind. Aside from one scene, there's no bad language of any kind (including ass, shit, bitch: none of that). However, in one scene a character re-enacts a scene from Raging Bull that features the following dialogue:

-You fucked my wife?
-What?
-You fucked my wife?
-How can you ask me that?

That's it. Two "fucks" means that apparently children under the age of 17 shouldn't be able to see the film. Absolutely ludicrous.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm
Whale Rider got a PG-13 for absolutely no reason other than the briefest shot of a bong. Might have been a pipe. Does it matter? It's PG at the very most.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:39 pm
In the case of Whale Rider, the unjust rating might've actually helped it as it was more for teenagers then for young kids anyways.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:44 pm
Director

majoraphasia wrote:
Whale Rider got a PG-13 for absolutely no reason other than the briefest shot of a bong. Might have been a pipe. Does it matter? It's PG at the very most.

Ah, someone beat me to it. I think Roger Ebert was on Oprah about this topic, too.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 am
I've got no idea how Australia came up with its rating system or how it works, but on topic... the only two films I've seen in the past five years at the cinema rated R were Shortbus and My Bloody Valentine. Both were close to unwatchable but I was curious as they received the elusive R rating.

Inglourious Basterds and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are not R rated films here (MA 15+) which is ludicrous.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 pm
Lost In Translation features no swearing, no sexual content, and no violence. There's just one scene at a topless bar. PG-13 in my opinion.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:56 pm
moulton4 wrote:
Lost In Translation features no swearing, no sexual content, and no violence. There's just one scene at a topless bar. PG-13 in my opinion.

Well they could've just cut that scene out as it wasn't really necessary, and the rating didn't exactly hurt the film as it made over 100 million. Besides a PG-13 rating likely wouldn't have made much of a difference as I can't imagine that many teenagers wanting to see that film.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:16 pm
Vexer wrote:
moulton4 wrote:

Well they could've just cut that scene out as it wasn't really necessary, and the rating didn't exactly hurt the film as it made over 100 million. Besides a PG-13 rating likely wouldn't have made much of a difference as I can't imagine that many teenagers wanting to see that film.

You know I think directors occasionally put a little 'R' material in just so that they can get the rating. For some reason, there are people who don't take PG-13 (and lower rated) movies as seriously as a 'R' movies.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Vexer wrote:
moulton4 wrote:

You know I think directors occasionally put a little 'R' material in just so that they can get the rating. For some reason, there are people who don't take PG-13 (and lower rated) movies as seriously as a 'R' movies.

Agreed. Lost In Translation is a PG film that was pushed into R for marketing (something I was yammering about right here: viewtopic.php?p=56167#p56167) purposes. Maybe. The strip club scene is the only slightly objectionable content and it only has a brief shot of bare breasts. Oh, and the song "Fuck the Pain Away" by Peaches. It's playing quietly in that scene but you can still make out most of the lyrics.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
moulton4 wrote:

Indeed, the only teens interested in seeing more substantial films like that one are ones who are mature enough to handle such content and are genuinely interested in filmmaking as an art. :P

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:10 am
Director

Team America: World Police was originally rated NC-17 for puppet sex. You've got to be kidding me.

Actually, take a look at some of the films on the list below to see how ridiculous the MPAA can get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NC-17_rated_films

Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:48 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Team America: World Police was originally rated NC-17 for puppet sex. You've got to be kidding me.

Actually, take a look at some of the films on the list below to see how ridiculous the MPAA can get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NC-17_rated_films

Good link, Sexy Cho-co.

I remember checking out Where the Truth Lies almost only because of the "steamy" threesome that had to be cut. When I finally saw the NC-17 cut, I thought: "Is that it??". I think the MPAA objected only to the multiple partners rather than the actual content.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:52 pm
I remember there being an outcry from a few critics, including Ebert, about The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers being rated PG-13 rather than R (violence).

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:08 am
moulton4 wrote:
I remember there being an outcry from a few critics, including Ebert, about The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers being rated PG-13 rather than R (violence).

Really? I've seen bad episodes of Malcolm in the Middle with more disturbing violence.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:45 am
Director

Almost Famous. Completely boneheaded to rate that movie R. Pg-13 would've fit perfectly.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:07 pm
Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Almost Famous. Completely boneheaded to rate that movie R. Pg-13 would've fit perfectly.

But don't you know hearing the F-bomb more than once in a movie can corrupt an adolescent beyond repair? :lol: :roll:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:56 pm
King's Speech
Rob

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:34 pm
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
King's Speech
Rob

Ditto what I just said. ;)

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:16 pm