Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:12 am

Moments in films that you found hard to watch. 
Post Moments in films that you found hard to watch.
*Warning: Minor spoilers involved in thread by its nature*

Now, this list doesn't have to include only disturbing or horrifying moments- it can be ones that involved you feeling for the characters who were involved in the scene in question or too much pathos. Mine pretty much all come from war films since there tends to be a lot of unhappiness in such films. Here we go:

1) Private Mellish's death in Saving Private Ryan - This is probably the most disturbing scene I've seen in any war film with perhaps the lone exception of another moment that's coming up later on this list. Whenever I watched this film on DVD, I'd continually skip past this scene when watching the final climactic battle. It took about 7 years before I could watch it again- I think it was how the German soldier was whispering to Mellish as he slowly put the knife in that did it for me.

2) Junior's death in Platoon - I found it easier to watch this than I did Mellish's death scene, but not by very much. Stone was noted for having been meticulous in the depictions of soldiers dying in his entry to the Vietnam War sub-genre of war films, and this scene was no different. It was how Junior's eyes kept crossing up as he was being bayonetted that made this scene a tough one.

3) Setsuko's death Grave of the Fireflies - Depicting the death of a child in film isn't done very often at least in the up-close-and-personal manner, but as it was one of the central focuses of this film (based on the writer's own experience with such a situation in WWII), it is done with harrowing detail here. The fact that it is done in an animated film did not mitigate its effect in any way for me. If you aren't feeling even a little choked-up after watching this scene, then you are not human, IMO.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:25 pm
Post Re: Moments in films that you found hard to watch.
Michael Myers killing the boy Spy Kid in Rob Zombie's Halloween.
Donnie Wahlberg smashing his foot in Saw III.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:29 pm
As is the nature of this thread, I will be medium-spoiler here

- Peter Winters prying his fingernail off in 'Clean, Shaven'
- The sight of a woman drained of bodily fat in 'Night And Fog'.
- The mother's grisly state in 'Grave Of The Fireflies'.
- The next-to-final scene of 'Pixote', which is unbearably cruel. The woman's reaction to his need to be loved is gut-wrenching without being graphic.
- The bus crash in 'The Sweet Hereafter'. Brilliantly done, but it truly marks the soul.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:52 pm
A Clockwork Orange - amidst all of the sexual oddities that you would think of as obvious choices, I don't like watching Mr. Alexander towards the end of the film when he makes those weird faces coupled with Kubrick's twirling zooms and effects. It's unnerving.

Blue Velvet - when Frank is doing his "baby wants to..." routine.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:47 am
Ragnarok73 wrote:
*Warning: Minor spoilers involved in thread by its nature*
1) Private Mellish's death in Saving Private Ryan - This is probably the most disturbing scene I've seen in any war film with perhaps the lone exception of another moment that's coming up later on this list. Whenever I watched this film on DVD, I'd continually skip past this scene when watching the final climactic battle. It took about 7 years before I could watch it again- I think it was how the German soldier was whispering to Mellish as he slowly put the knife in that did it for me.

It's funny. For me it's the same film, but it was when the Medic, Wade, got killed. I think I had a panic attack when I saw that in the theater--I thought I was going to get sick. I've seen it a couple times since, and I still have a more visceral reaction to that scene than to any other I can think of.

Quote:
3) Setsuko's death Grave of the Fireflies - Depicting the death of a child in film isn't done very often at least in the up-close-and-personal manner, but as it was one of the central focuses of this film (based on the writer's own experience with such a situation in WWII), it is done with harrowing detail here. The fact that it is done in an animated film did not mitigate its effect in any way for me. If you aren't feeling even a little choked-up after watching this scene, then you are not human, IMO.

Very good example. Just thinking about that scene brings on the waterworks, and I don't get that way for very many films. For my part, I think the fact of it being an animated film actually adds to the poignancy.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:57 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
- The bus crash in 'The Sweet Hereafter'. Brilliantly done, but it truly marks the soul.

A lot of directors should be forced to watch that scene, understanding what it depicts and represents, as exhibit A on why understatement can be the most powerful approach.

I don't watch that film very often, but when I do, I hope against hope that it'll go different this time.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:05 am
When Majid pulls the razor out of his pocket in Caché there is approximately 1 second left to avert your eyes or plan on finding a psychiatrist the next day.

The opening scenes of Forbidden Games are so excruciatingly sad that the rest of the movie has the ghost of those moments hanging over it. Not just the first time through it but every single time through it.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:40 am
The end of Requiem for a Dream
The village scene in Platoon

I agree: directors need to look at The Sweet Hereafter as a great way to convey extreme emotion without beating the audience over the head. It's my all-time favorite movie, but yeah, I don't watch it that often because of the extreme emotion it has.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:23 pm
mkratzer21 wrote:
The end of Requiem for a Dream

First one that came to mind. I've only been able to watch this movie once. It left me in such a state of shock, I was unable to speak or get up from my chair for about an hour.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:45 pm
I recently rewatched City of God.

It was really hard for me to get through the scene where Lil Ze asks the two Runts he caught if they want to get shot in the hand or the foot.

Even now I see that kid crying and I can't take it...

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:10 pm
The scene in Exorcist 3, when the possessed elderly woman is crawling on the ceiling....

C-R-E-E-P-Y

:o :shock: :cry:

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:55 pm
The first time I saw Syrianna (was a bit younger), I found it impossibly hard to keep my eyes open over the duration of the entire film. I left the theatre 3/4 of the way as I felt life being sucked out of me :P Second viewing was much better.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:11 pm
I remember finding it hard to watch the racist scenes from Dark Blue. Which was practically every scene with the main character in it, so yeah, it was an uncomfortable viewing.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:04 pm
Seven--The Lust victim's testimony ("THE F**KING GUN WAS IN MY THROAT!")
Hostel--The eye thing
Hostel Part 2--Lorna's murder (her screaming! Good God!)
Irreversible--The rape and the fire extinguisher beatdown
Saw 3--The emergency brain surgery
The Shining--The old woman in room 237
Funny Games--Jelly rolls and the sheer detachedness with which Paul kills Anna ("Ciao, bella.")
Requiem For A Dream--The ending
Terminator 2--Sarah's nightmare (again, the screaming!)

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:27 am
The Passion of the Christ - the scourging

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

I agree with derangedperson about Lorna's death in HOSTEL PART II. That is perhaps the most unsettling horror movie death I've ever seen. HOSTEL PART II was able to do what most horror movies can't: make me care about the characters. For me, the protagonists weren't cardboard cutouts to be picked off one by one. The deaths in SAW are gross and unpleasant, but I have no vested interest in the characters at all. The SAW franchise is a never-ending bore because of it.

Heather Matarazzo's portrayal of the naive Lorna in the first part of HOSTEL PART II is what made the death scene so heartwrenching to watch. Eli Roth created a superb horror film that has stayed with me.

Last edited by iamed77 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:02 am
iamed77 wrote:
I agree with derangedperson about Lorna's death in HOSTEL PART II. That is perhaps the most unsettling horror movie death I've ever seen. HOSTEL PART II was able to do what most horror movies can't: make me care about the characters. For me, the protagonists weren't cardboard cutouts to be picked off one by one. The deaths in SAW are gross and unpleasant, but I have no vested interest in the characters at all. The SAW franchise is a never-ending bore because of it.

Heather Matarazzo's portrayal of the naive Lorna in the first part of HOSTEL PART II is what made the death scene so heartwrenching to watch. Eli Roth created a superb horror film that has stayed with me.

Jeremy

I haven't seen this one but the first paragraph contains words that I've never, ever seen connected with either it or the preceding film. Hostel was unpleasant, to be sure, but as unwatchable as it was in parts the overall theme of the movie made it far better than average. It wasn't masturbatory violence and if Hostel II is 1/2 as interesting as you've made it sound than it's worth wading through the extreme violence to the end. Good sell, sir.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 am
derangedperson wrote:
Seven--The Lust victim's testimony ("THE F**KING GUN WAS IN MY THROAT!")

Yeah, that one got me too. It was the flash when Somerset shows the polaroid of the 'device', and then the guys tells what happened, along with the pale, almost impish attendant talking to Mills. My mind just started created the images of what had happened in that room.

The scene in Schindler's List when they were marching everyone out of the ghetto. The Germans pulled an old man? out of the group, and they're leading him away with smiles and assuring him the entire time while it's clear what they're about to do. I remember whispering 'stop, just stop' as I was watching it. It still gets to me thinking about it.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:56 pm
Oh.

The part with Schindler's List that always kills me is when
[Reveal] Spoiler:
a man drags his badly beaten wife to a train, and the guards shoot her in the head while still in his arms, blood pouring over his face as he slowly lets her drop to the ground. I always imagine that being the woman I love.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:11 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
Oh.

The part with Schindler's List that always kills me is when
[Reveal] Spoiler:
a man drags his badly beaten wife to a train, and the guards shoot her in the head while still in his arms, blood pouring over his face as he slowly lets her drop to the ground. I always imagine that being the woman I love.

I think you're a bit off in your recollection of that scene from Schindler's List as I'll explain below:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The man is a doctor, and the woman he's dragging is not revealed to be his wife at any point in the scene. He's trying to drag her to his clinic for treatment when an SS soldier comes up to him and tells him to leave her because she's done for. The doctor begs the soldier to let him get her to the clinic, but his response is to pull his pistol out and shoot her in the head.

Speaking of that film, I do have a moment in that film that I've found hard to watch:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Schindler goes to the site where Amon and his men are burning the corpses of the victims of the relocatiion/massacre of Ghetto B from earlier in the film. While there, he sees the body of the little girl who he saw wandering the streets of Ghetto B during the massacre. The girl stood out as she wore a red coat that sharply contrasted with the black-and-white background in the rest of the film.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:16 pm