Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:09 pm

The Movie was Better Than the Book... 
Post The Movie was Better Than the Book...
Ever found the filmed adaptation to be better than the book?

Fight Club was more entertaining, insightful, and less mannered than the book from which
it sprung.

Children of Men worked as a book but the movie was fuller, bleaker, and improved because
of the technical risks.

Doctor Zhivago... it can go on.

What say you? What would you choose over the book?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:21 am
Post Re: The Movie was Better Than the Book...
Harry Potter 5 - Worst book in the series gets the best movie in the series...so far.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:25 am
A Simple Plan comes immediately to mind. The book was good, but I felt it was a little too violent, and the message got lost. The movie toned down the violence while staying on message. It's interesting to note that the author of the book also wrote the screenplay, so maybe he felt the same thing.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 am
The Godfather is basically my go-to response anytime this subject comes up. It is an exemplary example of using adaptation to improve the source material.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:13 am
The Sweet Hereafter, which takes a fine novel and fashions it in what I believe is it's definitive form.

The Lord Of The Rings trilogy, as it has breadth and is utterly glorious without being as awesomely time-consuming as the books.

Mystic River, even though they kept the ending.

The Shawshank Redmeption, even if it was a short story, and even moreso, The Shining, which transcended the book.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:15 am
Jaws
Jurassic Park
2001: A Space Odyssey

Watchmen (just kidding!)

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 am
The Polar Express.

How they came up with all that from that short-a$$ book was beyond me...

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:12 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
The Lord Of The Rings trilogy, as it has breadth and is utterly glorious without being as awesomely time-consuming as the books.

thats it, phil. you are now a mortal enemy. :evil:

seriously, though, the only way i can enjoy the movie is forget about the book. otherwise it just disappoints.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:30 am
aameen wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

seriously, though, the only way i can enjoy the movie is forget about the book. otherwise it just disappoints.

Why didn't they just get the eagles to fly over Mount Doom and drop the ring in?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:44 am
Alex wrote:
aameen wrote:
Evenflow8112 wrote:

Why didn't they just get the eagles to fly over Mount Doom and drop the ring in?

bloody hell...cuz the eagles would have been spotted and then destroyed by sauron. that's why they needed stealth and also why the fellowship was chosen as it was. sauron is the strongest being on middle earth. anyway, if they relied on strength or speed they would have taken glorfindel not pippin. although they did rely upon speed, as well as stealth. eagles dont offer both.

if one really does want to criticize the book i think the structure at the end would be the place to do it on, rather than actual plot points. you've gotta give the writer some credit, man. he spent a score writing this stuff, he would have covered "why don't they just drop it?"

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:10 am
Pretty much every novelization (is that a word?) of a movie is worse than the movie itself.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 am
I really enjoyed watching Zodiac. They took the massive amount of information from Graysmith's book and turned it into a gripping movie.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:19 pm
Speaking for my girlfriend, she says The Notebook. Apparently even Nicholas Sparks (author) has recommended for people to watch the movie instead of reading his book, haha.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 pm
Phil, good call with The Sweet Hereafter. I saw the movie first, then read the book. It was a perfect adaptation of a book which seemed to be unfilmable (is that a word?).

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:35 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

LOTR (Peter Jackson) is as time consuming as a movie as LOTR (J.R.R. Tolkein) is as a book.
Book are always longer than movies, and I don't think I've heard anyone praise Jackson for the concision of the movies before.
In other words, I think your argument only works as a general argument for movies over books, not as a specific reason why LOTR is better as a movie.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:18 pm
I can live with that. That is my belief, after all.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:39 pm
ram1312 wrote:
I really enjoyed watching Zodiac. They took the massive amount of information from Graysmith's book and turned it into a gripping movie.

YES! Zodiac is one of the most underrated films of late.

Pertaining to Lord of the Rings....you can't say Peter Jackson > J.R.R. Tolkien, even if his films are perfect.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 pm
Planet of the Apes (the 1968 original, not Burton's craptastic "reimagining")- It represents the first and only time I've ever heard of the author of the book (Pierre Boulle - Les Planete Des Singes) saying that he wishes he came up with the idea that the screenwriter (Rod Serling) did (in reference to the twist ending of the film).

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:00 pm
Ken wrote:
The Godfather is basically my go-to response anytime this subject comes up. It is an exemplary example of using adaptation to improve the source material.

Agreed. I read Puzo's novel before watching the movie, and the difference in quality was very pronounced.

A couple of Hitchcock movies - Psycho and Vertigo - are better than the novels they're based on. The original novels are okay and readable, but the movies make much more out of the material.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 pm
moulton4 wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

YES! Zodiac is one of the most underrated films of late.

Pertaining to Lord of the Rings....you can't say Peter Jackson > J.R.R. Tolkien, even if his films are perfect.

Poor Peter Jackson. I wouldn't say his movies are perfect, either :?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 pm