Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Worst Turns By A Great Actor 
Post Re: Worst Turns By A Great Actor
Zedferret wrote:
Harrison Ford - Everything post Air Force One

Sean Connery - The Avengers

How about Connery in Finding Forrester. There is nothing more unintentionally funny than hearing Sean Connery utter the line, "You're the man now, dog."

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:09 am
Robert De Niro in anything after Ronin. It's sad seeing such a brilliant actor whoring himself for money...

Malcolm McDowell in anything other than A Clockwork Orange. The man cannot act and has no presence. His 'psycho' in Gangster No. 1 is laughably embarassing.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:08 pm
baz1701 wrote:
Robert De Niro in anything after Ronin. It's sad seeing such a brilliant actor whoring himself for money...

Malcolm McDowell in anything other than A Clockwork Orange. The man cannot act and has no presence. His 'psycho' in Gangster No. 1 is laughably embarassing.

Hi Baz1701

I saw Gangster No.1 at the theatre and really liked it.
However, i agree that he usually is dreadful

I think that if MM was honest he'd say that he enjoys a greta life style and basically wants to work
There's nothing wrong with that

I wish he either got the roles or could somehow capture the greatness he had in the late sixties - forty years ago :-(

Rob

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:19 pm
Pedro wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Christian Bale in Harsh Times is a good one.

Although...

He's not a great actor. Great as The Dark Knight was, Bale's performance may be labeled great out of the proximity effect. Terrible in Harsh Times, though. Definitely.

He was pretty good in The Machinist and American Psycho. He needs to get out of blockbusters, apparently. It just makes him angry. <_<

He was also excellent in Rescue Dawn, too.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 am
Director

William Hurt in "A History of Violence".

And to think, he got NOMINATED for this 10 minute bit, yugh. He looked like he was in pain trying to make this tough guy gangster face, didn't work, at all. Thank God the movie was actually really good and Viggo and Ed Harris were incredible. That said, I really like William Hurt, and am especially thrilled he's becoming a memorable TV villain on my favorite show "Damages", where he's in the spotlight for this second season (wrapping up this Wednesday).

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:44 am
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:

When he started saying "broheem", it definitely felt like it'd strayed into comedy territory.

Another actor in a gangster role who just didn't fit - Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 am
Director

baz1701 wrote:

I actually like Malcolm McDowell. The "Halloween" remake was horrible (one of the worst movies I've ever seen) but he atleast did a fine job acting his part (no one else did). He's appeared on TV shows I watch like "Heroes" (where he was a good villain) and "Entourage" (where he was also good, not great, but solid). I actually love seeing him show up just randomly.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
domani wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

When he started saying "broheem", it definitely felt like it'd strayed into comedy territory.

Another actor in a gangster role who just didn't fit - Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition.

I liked Hurt and Hanks, off to hell, both of you :)

I admired Hurt's more idiosyncratic take on a gangster, and I thought it fit Cronenberg like a glove. He was extremely memorable in a short part with little to no character arc present. As for Hanks, well, I thought he was admirably understated and he involved me in the film. Whether or not you can divorce Tom Hanks from his other roles isn't necessarily a criticism on his performance.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 pm
Director

Evenflow8112 wrote:
domani wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

I liked Hurt and Hanks, off to hell, both of you :)

I admired Hurt's more idiosyncratic take on a gangster, and I thought it fit Cronenberg like a glove. He was extremely memorable in a short part with little to no character arc present. As for Hanks, well, I thought he was admirably understated and he involved me in the film. Whether or not you can divorce Tom Hanks from his other roles isn't necessarily a criticism on his performance.

Haha, I actually really liked "Road to Perdition" and thought Hanks was fine. But Hurt? Just watch his face in the ten minutes he's in "A History of Violence". Its quivering uncontrollably and he's trying to make this grimacing tough guy face that looks intimidating, I actually laughed at it. I didn't buy he was some big tough guy who had a lot of power like Cronenberg was trying to sell, I just thought it was a bad performance in an overall great movie.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Sean Connery and Ralph Fiennes in The Avengers.

Tim Robbins in The Truth About Charlie.

Nearly everyone in Natural Born Killers.

Diane Keaton in Because I Said So.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:26 pm
any well-known actor in any Uwe Boll movie.

think Burt Reynolds, Jason Statham, Ron Perlman and Ray Liotta in "In the Name of the King", Ben Kingsley in "Bloodrayne"... I still don't get how Boll gets all of these actor to perform in his "films."

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 pm
DunkinDan89 wrote:

And to think, he got NOMINATED for this 10 minute bit, yugh. He looked like he was in pain trying to make this tough guy gangster face, didn't work, at all. Thank God the movie was actually really good and Viggo and Ed Harris were incredible. That said, I really like William Hurt, and am especially thrilled he's becoming a memorable TV villain on my favorite show "Damages", where he's in the spotlight for this second season (wrapping up this Wednesday).

What a great choice! He was terrible in this. And that was supposed to be a Philly accent?! Please. Terrible.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:31 pm
Director

De Niro in most of his post Ronin output. But Hide And Seek has a special spot in the hall of infamy.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Jeff Wilder wrote:
De Niro in most of his post Ronin output. But Hide And Seek has a special spot in the hall of infamy.

Well said! Why he starred in a piece of shit like Hide And Seek I will never know.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:42 pm
Producer

Sebastian wrote:

think Burt Reynolds, Jason Statham, Ron Perlman and Ray Liotta in "In the Name of the King", Ben Kingsley in "Bloodrayne"... I still don't get how Boll gets all of these actor to perform in his "films."

To be fair, Ben Kingsley took a part in The Love Guru as if to show he could be even worse. Maybe he lost a bet or something.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
Sebastian wrote:

To be fair, Ben Kingsley took a part in The Love Guru as if to show he could be even worse. Maybe he lost a bet or something.
Kingsley said he starred in Bloodrayne because he'd always wanted to play a vampire, no idea why he starred in Love Guru though.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:29 pm
Vexer wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
Sebastian wrote:

Kingsley said he starred in Bloodrayne because he'd always wanted to play a vampire, no idea why he starred in Love Guru though.

Kingsley has said his children have gotten used to eating.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:35 pm
Robert De Niro and Philip Seymour Hoffman in Flawless a movie that was the opposite of what it's title suggests.

This movie may be my whipping boy by now but I'd also put Robert De Niro in the first half hour of Meet The Fockers, which was awful of course but terrible performances didn't help it either.
-Jeremy

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:38 pm
The challenge here is that if you were earning $250-500k a movie and someone offered you 5-10x that for a few weeks work - what would you do?

I'm happy for Robert DeNiro. He's given me so much pleasure over the years. if he can earn big bucks on the Fockers, good for him.

Rob

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:29 pm