Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Worst Turns By A Great Actor 
Post Re: Worst Turns By A Great Actor
Oscar/Oscar Nod =/= great actor.

Just ask J. Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, John Travolta, Tommy Lee Jones, Art Carney, Kevin Costner, Whoopi Goldberg, Mark Wahlberg, Ned Beatty, Beatrice Straight, John Huston, Woody Allen, Debra Winger, or Rachel Weisz.

Halle Berry also goes on this list, although she still has a shot at greatness in my book, along with Wahlberg.

Last edited by Evenflow8112 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:55 pm
euphoric_daedalus wrote:
Arnold Schwartznegger in .. anything where he doesn't play a cybernetic organism with living tissue over a metal endoskeleton .. or Governor of California (lol)

Disagree! Schwarzenegger clearly shows a fine understanding of the craft with his perfectly horrible performances which loop back around to become good again.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:15 pm
Quote:
I thought Brad Pitt was fine in all of 'Se7en', but, poor guy, he's not a great actor, either.

Couldn't agree more. DO NOT understand the publics infatuation with Pitt. Se7en was a stand-out performance...and he's good in Snatch....Fight Club, those types of roles. I just don't think he's as talented as he gets credit for...and 12 Monkeys was acceptable at best. And TROY....(holding back vomit)...Bana should have been cast as Achillees it would have made the movie better....

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:25 pm
Nicolas Cage has too many to count... whether playing a muscleheaded good ol' boy Southern guy with a horrible redneck accent in CON AIR, or being miscast as a tough biker in GHOST RIDER (The man is getting old to be playing action heroes, and hair plugs and a leather jacket aren't enough to cover it), or his awful yet hilarious overacting in THE WICKER MAN (I've only seen clips, not the whole movie itself, but I can't believe the director actually let him get away with that).

Tommy Lee Jones in BATMAN FOREVER. Any actor could have played a twitchy psycho clown who likes to yell a lot... so why Jones?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:50 pm
A really unimpressive turn from a great actor would be Steve Buscemi in 'The Grey Zone'. He's merely a blip on the radar there.

David Thewlis in the remake of 'The Omen', where his casting seems simply wasteful.

Also, perhaps the biggest one of them all, Sam Neill in 'The Piano' . Not his usual nuanced performance. A major letdown from a master.

Just kidding :P

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:37 pm
Raul Julia as M.Bison in Street Fighter. The worst part of it was that it turned out to be the last film in which he appeared before his death. :(

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 pm
Marlon Brando was mentioned but not for The Island of Dr. Moreau, which was pretty hard to watch. Uma Thurman's another one who's not above a bad performance or two.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:28 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Pedro wrote:
He was in Frida? XD Point taken.

I was always particularly against Halle Berry for Catwoman. XD

Do you consider Halle Berry to be a great actress, though? Granted, she was horrible in Catwoman, and the movie was dreadful, I just don't consider her to be a great actress. I know she has an Oscar, but l personally don't consider her to be anything special. She's gorgeous, but her acting talents leave much to be desired.

Halle Berry is an awful actress. I have yet to see Monster's Ball, so will give her the benefit of the doubt for her Oscar-winning performance, but she has been godawful in every film I've seen her in. The Flinstones is her best performance, which pretty much says all that needs to be said.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:31 pm
Christian Bale in Harsh Times is a good one.

Although...

He's not a great actor. Great as The Dark Knight was, Bale's performance may be labeled great out of the proximity effect. Terrible in Harsh Times, though. Definitely.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 pm
Ragnarok73 wrote:
Raul Julia as M.Bison in Street Fighter. The worst part of it was that it turned out to be the last film in which he appeared before his death. :(

Oh my god. I remember that. Though you have to respect a man willing to ham it up like he id in SF. What was he thinking?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:31 pm
phillip seymour hoffman in cold mountain. i actually liked the movie a lot, but his southern accent--yeesh!

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:55 am
errm

Bela in Plan 9?

Rob

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:19 am
majoraphasia wrote:

Although...

He's not a great actor. Great as The Dark Knight was, Bale's performance may be labeled great out of the proximity effect. Terrible in Harsh Times, though. Definitely.

He was pretty good in The Machinist and American Psycho. He needs to get out of blockbusters, apparently. It just makes him angry. <_<

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 am
Robert De Niro

in

CAPE FEAR

Check out the appalachia drawl and tell me that it isn't knock down hilarious.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:30 am
Harrison Ford - Everything post Air Force One

Sean Connery - The Avengers

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:23 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
errm

Bela in Plan 9?

Rob

Nah, not his fault...it's really the worst performance by a chiropractor of the director's wife.

Erik ;)

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:54 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert De Niro

in

CAPE FEAR

Check out the appalachia drawl and tell me that it isn't knock down hilarious.

I love that performance! I slightly prefer the original Cape Fear, but De Niro is what I love about the remake. Remember that scene where he puts his thumb in Juliette Lewis' mouth? It's totally creepy and yet quite exciting.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 am
Pedro wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Although...

He was pretty good in The Machinist and American Psycho. He needs to get out of blockbusters, apparently. It just makes him angry. <_<

And you won't like him when he's angry.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:16 pm
How about DeNiro in "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle"?

I swear to god, he must've lost a bet or something to agree to appear in that turd.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:53 am
Craig wrote:
How about DeNiro in "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle"?

I swear to god, he must've lost a bet or something to agree to appear in that turd.

F*ck it. De Niro has completely lost the use of the word "no". What did Affleck or Damon say in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back? Something like "You gotta make the big budget Hollywood movie and then you make the art film."

There was a time when De Niro made meaningful things but he seemed to get caught up in fame maintenance and now look at his recent resume. He's well known for great roles enough that people can still say "Holy shit! Bob's starring opposite Ben Stiller again!" That will fade, De Niro, and you'll then have to explain why you needed paychecks from

Righteous Kill
Hide and Seek
What Just Happened
Meet The Fockers
Godsend
Analyze That
Showtime
15 Minutes
Men of Honor

Did Robert De Niro actually say or think the words "I really believe in Hide and Seek and saw for myself a challenging opportunity to do something that my children's children will hold up as an example of my ability to choose only the most relevant parts in the most important movies"?

All actors do it but De Niro seems to only make popcorn flicks at this point.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:07 am