Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Worst Turns By A Great Actor 
Post Worst Turns By A Great Actor
I mean Al Pacino in '88 Seconds'. I mean Jack in 'Man Trouble'. I mean Sean Penn in 'We're No Angels'. What mud have you got to sling, guys?

Aim high!

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 am
Post Re: Worst Turns By A Great Actor
Julianne Moore (actresses allowed?) in Magnolia. Great, great movie except for those scenes where she's forced to really emote (in the pharmacy, at the lawyer's office, after slapping Philip Seymour Hoffman's face). I think I understand why the scenes are played that way but compared to the rest of the cast she's the most unstrung. It's hard to watch her "big scenes" but it doesn't exactly ruin the movie... and she's restrained and great in everything else.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:07 am
Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York. I like him, but geez, he made Nicholson's turn in Batman seem nuanced . . .

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:18 am
Marlon Brando in pretty much everything after Apocalypse Now.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 am
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I mean Al Pacino in '88 Seconds'. I mean Jack in 'Man Trouble'. I mean Sean Penn in 'We're No Angels'. What mud have you got to sling, guys?

Aim high!

88 Minutes.
But yeah, that was the first one that came to mind for me.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:37 am
Tuco wrote:
Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York. I like him, but geez, he made Nicholson's turn in Batman seem nuanced . . .

Wow. I loved DDL in Gangs.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:15 am
Louise Fletcher AND Richard Burton in Exorcist II: The Heretic. Bring your tone dowwwwnnn.....

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 am
Marlon Brando - Superman

I don't know how many of you consider Brad Pitt a great actor, but he was particularly awful for about the first half of Seven.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03 am
Sean Penn in All the King's Men. I kept cringing throughout that "movie". His performance wasn't just bad, it was embarrassingly bad. How could such a good actor give such an over the top performance?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:48 am
PAG wrote:
Tuco wrote:

Wow. I loved DDL in Gangs.

me too, that scene draped in the flag......
rob

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:30 pm
Damaj wrote:
Marlon Brando - Superman

I don't know how many of you consider Brad Pitt a great actor, but he was particularly awful for about the first half of Seven.

Wow, I'm completely the opposite on this...I alway thought he does well throughout the film, then completely mucks up the last scene (although I've somewhat gotten used to it over the years).

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:34 pm
I thought Brad Pitt was fine in all of 'Se7en', but, poor guy, he's not a great actor, either.

I always thought Edward Norton was either miscast or simply on paycheck duty for 'Frida'. His character was meant to be looming and oppressive, whereas Norton plays him as underwhelming and leaves little to no impression as a result.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:19 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:
I thought Brad Pitt was fine in all of 'Se7en', but, poor guy, he's not a great actor, either.

I always thought Edward Norton was either miscast or simply on paycheck duty for 'Frida'. His character was meant to be looming and oppressive, whereas Norton plays him as underwhelming and leaves little to no impression as a result.

He was in Frida cause he was doing Salma Hayek....that bastard.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:30 pm
Julianne Moore in Freedomland. She's a fine actress who's given some great performances, but that film...yeep, she was just awful. The movie wasn't even that great overall, but I did really admire Edie Falco's turn. The best part of a "meh" flick.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:46 pm
Have yeh heard the one about Burt Reynolds...?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:17 pm
Evenflow8112 wrote:

He was in Frida? XD Point taken.

I was always particularly against Halle Berry for Catwoman. XD

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:17 pm
John Travolta in Battlefield Earth

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:26 pm
Pedro wrote:
He was in Frida? XD Point taken.

I was always particularly against Halle Berry for Catwoman. XD

Do you consider Halle Berry to be a great actress, though? Granted, she was horrible in Catwoman, and the movie was dreadful, I just don't consider her to be a great actress. I know she has an Oscar, but l personally don't consider her to be anything special. She's gorgeous, but her acting talents leave much to be desired.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:33 am
Nicholas Cage in .. Ghost Rider
Christian Bale in .. Harsh Times
Ben Stiller in .. Meet the Fockers
Pierce Brosnan in .. that ONE where he "sings"
Sandra Bullock in .. Premonition
Val Kilmer in .. Deja Vu
Jack Nicholson in .. Mars Attacks
Arnold Schwartznegger in .. anything where he doesn't play a cybernetic organism with living tissue over a metal endoskeleton .. or Governor of California (lol)

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:27 pm
gibttbm wrote:
John Travolta in Battlefield Earth

Forest Whitaker in Battlefield Earth.

I think both of them should make amends for "acting" in this film by wearing these weird breathing apparatuses, which were hanging from their noses, at all times.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:33 pm