Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By 
Post Re: Directors You've Seen 10+ Films By
JamesKunz wrote:
calvero wrote:
If you're gonna give De Palma another shot, I'd go with Blow Out, not Scarface. Or Carrie.

I'm of the opinion that if you're into some artistic field, there are certain things you have to experience if they're a big enough part of the culture. So if you're into architecture, you have to go see some Frank Gehry work even if you think his work is terrible. Or if you're into art, you have to study Andy Warhol even if you think he's popular bullshit, just because of the impact he's had. And so you have to see Scarface, even if it's over the top, just because it's one of those movies.

I see your point here, and don't completely disagree, but I'm not sure that Scarface has had the same impact on movies that Gehry's work or Warhol's work had in their respective fields. I mean, a lot of rappers love Scarface. That's pretty much it's legacy.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
calvero wrote:
If you're gonna give De Palma another shot, I'd go with Blow Out, not Scarface. Or Carrie.

I'm of the opinion that if you're into some artistic field, there are certain things you have to experience if they're a big enough part of the culture. So if you're into architecture, you have to go see some Frank Gehry work even if you think his work is terrible. Or if you're into art, you have to study Andy Warhol even if you think he's popular bullshit, just because of the impact he's had. And so you have to see Scarface, even if it's over the top, just because it's one of those movies.

I see your point here, and don't completely disagree, but I'm not sure that Scarface has had the same impact on movies that Gehry's work or Warhol's work had in their respective fields. I mean, a lot of rappers love Scarface. That's pretty much it's legacy.

Oh come on, you don't think Scarface has a lasting cultural impact? Certainly in hip hop, but beyond that. All the "say hello to my little friend" references, parts of the Grand Theft Auto series, etc. It kinda epitomizes the greedy 80s way better than, say, Wall Street (also written by Stone)

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:08 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Oh come on, you don't think Scarface has a lasting cultural impact? Certainly in hip hop, but beyond that. All the "say hello to my little friend" references, parts of the Grand Theft Auto series, etc. It kinda epitomizes the greedy 80s way better than, say, Wall Street (also written by Stone)

You're right, it does. It just doesn't have the impact on movies that your other examples do in their field. You can't really study architecture without Gehry coming up and you probably can't study artists (certainly not pop art) without Warhol coming up. You can pretty easily study movies without De Palma's Scarface coming up.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:26 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:

You're right, it does. It just doesn't have the impact on movies that your other examples do in their field. You can't really study architecture without Gehry coming up and you probably can't study artists (certainly not pop art) without Warhol coming up. You can pretty easily study movies without De Palma's Scarface coming up.

Fair enough. I was just trying to think of artists in other fields who purists might turn their nose up at

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:29 pm
Gaffer

Hey, everybody. It's been a while since I posted, but with this one I'll jump back into the fray. I actually maintain a list of all the movies I've ever seen (that I can remember), so sorting it by director didn't take that long.

28 - Steven Spielberg (counting Duel and Twilight Zone: The Movie)
I did a research project 8 years ago where I watched or rewatched every single one of Spielberg's movies - right around the time The Terminal came out.

23 - Alfred Hitchcock

15 - Tim Burton (counting Corpse Bride)
15 - Robert Zemeckis

14 - Martin Scorsese (counting his old documentary Italianamerican and his mini-series A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies)

13 - Stanley Kubrick
I've even seen Fear and Desire, on a videotape of such poor quality it gave me a splitting headache.

12 - Terry Gilliam (counting Holy Grail and The Meaning of Life)

11 - Clyde Geronimi (co-director of a bunch of Disney animated movies)
11 - Peter Jackson (counting Forgotten Silver)
11 - Hamilton Luske (another Disney co-director)
11 - Ivan Reitman

10 - James Cameron (counting his 3-D documentaries Ghosts of the Abyss and Aliens of the Deep)
10 - Francis Ford Coppola
10 - Ridley Scott

and the runners up...

9 - Werner Herzog
9 - Robert Wise (counting The Curse of the Cat People)

8 - Mel Brooks
8 - Clint Eastwood
8 - James Ivory
8 - Oliver Stone

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:35 am
Critic

[quote="Jonsh"]Hey, everybody. It's been a while since I posted, but with this one I'll jump back into the fray. I actually maintain a list of all the movies I've ever seen (that I can remember), so sorting it by director didn't take that long.

Right on! I have such a list as well, and it's pretty cool to keep

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:31 pm
Fear and Desire? Damn. That movie is practically lost.

And if you're going to count Scorsese's Personal Journey Through American movies, you might as well count it as more than one. It's packed with tons of stuff.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:40 pm
Gaffer

Ken wrote:

And if you're going to count Scorsese's Personal Journey Through American movies, you might as well count it as more than one. It's packed with tons of stuff.

The tape of Fear and Desire was a copy of a copy of a copy. I think it was taped from a TV screening a long time ago. (BTW, from what I saw, I agree with Kubrick that the film is inept and pretentious.)

I count a TV miniseries as a single "film" for the purposes of my master list.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:45 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:

I counted "Feel Like Going Home," his section of "The Blues," since the segments of that series were effectively independent films. I've also seen "The Last Waltz" and "Shine a Light."

One of my Clint Eastwood films is his contribution to 'The Blues."

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 pm
I don't keep a list of films, which I've seen, so my list might be slightly off, but on an extremely slow Day at work, I've got enough time to draw up a list with the assistance of imdb. Thanks, JamesKunz, for providing the distraction.

Alfred Hitchcock - 31
Steven Spielberg - 18
Woody Allen - 16
Martin Scorcese - 14
Coen Brothers - 14
Ridley Scott - 13
Clint Eastwood - 13
Anthony Mann - 11
John Carpenter - 11
Tony Scott - 11
Harald Reinl - 11
Roman Polanski - 10
John Huston - 10
Fritz Lang - 10 (not quite sure, might be 8 or 9)
Tim Burton - 10
Oliver Stone - 10
Brian de Palma - 10
Richard Donner - 10
Stanley Kubrick - 10
John Woo - 10

Notable mention:
9 movies
Michael Mann, Howard Hawks, Werner Herzog, Billy Wilder, Peter Jackson (if you count Lord of the Rings as three Movies), Wolfgang Petersen
8 movies
Michael Bay (!), Sam Raimi, David Fincher, Francis Ford Coppola, Robert Zemeckis, George A. Romero, Terry Gilliam (not counting the Python Films), John McTiernan (!), Roland Emmerich (!), Peter Hyams, Blake Edwards

Making this list, it occurred to me how few Movies some of my favourite directors have made (Sergio Leone, for Instance) and how Franchise directors (Richard Donner) come up at the Top in a List like this.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:45 am
Director

Jonsh wrote:
The tape of Fear and Desire was a copy of a copy of a copy. I think it was taped from a TV screening a long time ago. (BTW, from what I saw, I agree with Kubrick that the film is inept and pretentious.)

I've got it on a bootleg DVD, which I imagine is of just as poor quality as your copy. Plus, it clocks in at just under an hour, so I imagine some footage has also been cut. It's definitely Kubrick's weakest film, but it's not totally without interest. And you can definitely see him laying the groundwork for his work to come.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 am
Gaffer

Here are the rules I made up for what counts as a "film" on my list:

A film must be:
(1) At least 40 minutes long;
(2) A "discrete work" (i.e. not a regular episode of an ongoing TV series with continuing characters and situations); and
(3) Worthy of my attention such that I sit and watch the whole thing.

So, TV miniseries that are unified works by the same director(s) count as films, and episodes of anthology TV shows also count as single films (i.e. from Masters of Horror or The Twilight Zone or the live TV dramas from the 1950s). I've actually never dealt with a multi-director miniseries like "The Blues"; I guess I would count the individual episodes as separate. Also, I've thought about treating seasons of TV shows as single films, but I haven't decided on it.

Okay, enough navel gazing.

Unke wrote:
Harald Reinl - 11

Interesting to see a German-language director that I've never heard of make your list. I imagine that in the German-speaking world you have a lot of mainstream movies that Americans like me have never heard of. What has Reinl done that's worth it for me to seek out?

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:22 am
Producer

Looks like F. W. Murnau's going to be the next on my list. Netflix just sent me "The Phantom" and I added a couple more that I hadn't noticed before. I hope somebody finds "4 Devils" in their collection somewhere.

edit: maybe not. The disc was damaged and I was bored by the hour I saw, which is the first time I've said that about a Murnau film.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:51 pm
Jonsh wrote:
Unke wrote:
Harald Reinl - 11

Interesting to see a German-language director that I've never heard of make your list. I imagine that in the German-speaking world you have a lot of mainstream movies that Americans like me have never heard of. What has Reinl done that's worth it for me to seek out?

Sorry for the late response, Jonsh. I’ve only been checking the forum very infrequently.

I actually never noticed director Harald Reinl before I started making this list. When trying to think of directors, who might have made 10 or more films, which I’ve seen, I figured that I was very likely to have seen a lot of films by directors, who were involved in some sort of movie series or franchise. (Hence, ‘Superman’ and ‘Lethal Weapon’ director Richard Donner shows up on the list.) So I checked who directed the 1960ies Eurowesterns based on the popular adventure novels by German author Karl May, which were hugely successful in Germany and of which I have seen many on TV as a child. It turned out that Harald Reinl directed a few of them. Upon further research, I found out that he also directed a number of German movie adaptations of the works of pulp crime author Edgar Wallace. These movies, which have acquired some sort of a cult status in Germany, constitute their own sub-genre and are a weird mix of (mild) horror, mystery and comedy. And, of course, they used to be on TV a lot when I was a child, so I’ve seen quite a few of them as well. I’ve also seen Reinl’s entries into the 1960ies Dr.Mabuse movie cycle and two fantasy epics he made. I conclude that he was very active in commercially successful German genre movie of dubious quality, so I can’t really recommend any them. The two epic fantasy movies (‘’Die Nibelungen Teil 1 – Siegfried and ‘Die Nibelungen Teil 2 – Kriemhilds Rache’) based on the same saga which inspired Wagner’s ring cycle a lot of modern fantasy literature) are at least moderately enjoyable.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:22 pm
Producer

I've seen the Fritz Lang version of the Nibelungen, which is split exactly the same way as Reinl's. Were his remakes, or is that the normal way the tale is split outside of Wagner? Also, did you have the same urge to start singing songs from a certain Bugs Bunny cartoon?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 am
Syd Henderson wrote:
I've seen the Fritz Lang version of the Nibelungen, which is split exactly the same way as Reinl's. Were his remakes, or is that the normal way the tale is split outside of Wagner? Also, did you have the same urge to start singing songs from a certain Bugs Bunny cartoon?

I'm afraid I don't know the Bugs Bunny cartoon.

To my knowledge, the basis for all subsequent adaptations of the Norse-Germanic saga are three 13th Century manuscripts, which split the story into two parts.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:45 am
Producer

Unke wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know the Bugs Bunny cartoon.

To my knowledge, the basis for all subsequent adaptations of the Norse-Germanic saga are three 13th Century manuscripts, which split the story into two parts.

Well, here you are,
http://www.spike.com/video-clips/i8ftl4/whats-opera-doc

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:15 am
Critic

With Savages I added Oliver Stone #16, which means that I am the reigning Oliver Stone expert of the forum, a dubious honor that Pete would no doubt mock me for

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:07 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
With Savages I added Oliver Stone #16, which means that I am the reigning Oliver Stone expert of the forum, a dubious honor that Pete would no doubt mock me for

Haha I knew you'd see that movie when you got back! How was the movie, by the way?

Also, you're so totally, completely, unheterosexually gay for Oliver Stone.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 am
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Haha I knew you'd see that movie when you got back! How was the movie, by the way?

Also, you're so totally, completely, unheterosexually gay for Oliver Stone.

My Dad got me the Oliver Stone collection! I don't even like his films that much! Savages was shallower than a kiddie pool but fun in a brainless way. I'm with JB that it somehow counts as a highlight of summer considering how poor this summer has been, tentpole bookends aside

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:46 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next