Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:17 am

Little things in movies you can't bear to watch 
Post Little things in movies you can't bear to watch
The exact opposite of the things in movies you get a kick out of topic. This is what the title says, things in movies you can't bear to watch.

For me it's:
-a bone breaking that isn't the neck
-bludgeonings

Ok...let's hear yours

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:24 pm
Post Re: Little things in movies you can't bear to watch
Cruelty to animals. I just can't stand watching dogs or cats get killed or beaten, unless it's played up as a joke.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:27 pm
Something bad happening to helpless kids.

I can't stand it. I have a 4 and a 2-year-old. I think of them every time.

Although, I think that makes a film more poignant if it has the right approach. Does that make sense?

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:16 pm
ram1312 wrote:

Although, I think that makes a film more poignant if it has the right approach. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I see what you're saying

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:20 pm
Children being abused. Brad Pitt licking his lips. Slow development. Mis-pronounced words (prophe-sized, Morpheus?) Ridiculous cheap-shot stereotypes. Let's tug at their heart strings cuz our movie sucks (AI, ?) Token T&A shots. Black guy dies first. Easy predictability by way of repetitive formulas (sports movies). Poor research/homework revisionist history.

That's a start I'm sure I'll think of more....

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 pm
Gratuitous anything unless the movie truly calls for it kind of bugs me. One weak moment in a really strong screenplay/performance also bugs me. In fact, that bugs me more.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:58 pm
Character (A) hangs up on character (B) and character (B) gets the dial tone right away. Irritating but not destructive.

Let's see:

crying (the type that Julianne Moore offers, as if she's only read about crying before)
embarrasment played for laughs (Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller, etc. type movies)
The rat at the end of The Departed...
suicide via sharp object
torture of any variety

others, likely.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:32 am
Rob

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 am
Blatant Christ imagery.

Can you say Platoon, Gran Torino?

Cmon...

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:33 am
ram1312 wrote:

Ugh. This is the worst. Hurt kids, lost kids...
I cried watching Monsters, Inc. for crying out loud.

I also can stand when everything thing spelled out or over-explained.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:44 am
neco82 wrote:
Cruelty to animals. I just can't stand watching dogs or cats get killed or beaten, unless it's played up as a joke.

Definitely. Whenever I even think an animal may be threatened, I feel uneasy.

Others:
-White writers who feel that black people only speak basic English, usually punctuated with a "yo" every other word. Seriously, black people can also talk normally
-Related to above: stereotypes. Most annoying to me are homosexuals. Not all of them are so flamboyant, and most don't cross-dress
-The answering machine picking up after the first ring. I would love to see a movie that has a phone ring four times before the machine picks it up
-Montage at the end of a (usually horror) movie that explains a plot twist by showing key scenes from the movie. You know, the one that we just watched
-Comedy writers who feel that humiliation is the only form of amusement. It can be funny if done right, but it most often isn't
-Clandestine meetings between people plotting something nefarious that take place in public where everyone within earshot can hear them

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:45 am
I've always hated the following exchange of dialogue. Two characters are talking, and the second guy is usually angry about something (depends on the movie):

Character A: "So I need to tell you that -"
Character B: [Interrupts, angrily] "What? What do you need to tell me?"
Character A then continues to tell B the information.

This pisses me off because Character A was gonna tell B the pertinent info anyway, and for such an impatient character, B is actually delaying the info from coming his way. Nobody in real life talks like this when they're being told something. I usually see this in bad action movies and some dramas, and it was even in Changeling. Completely took me out of the movie.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:54 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
. . . Token T&A shots . . .

I see your point there--and I agree that movies in general would be better off without gratuitous nudity.

That said, I'm not sure I'd say I can't bear to watch . . . I usually fight my way through those scenes.

:roll:

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:36 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Rob

Bingo

Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:15 am
Toilet humor....can't stand it....and I tend to hate otherwise good comedies that just have to get the fart joke in.

I'll second stereotypes on this...unless they are satirical (i.e., Airplane!, which I think made a HUGE statement about how blacks are treated in most films).

Erik

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 am
Anything terrible that happens to eyeballs, or missing eyes in general. Can't deal. Yicky.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:33 pm
1minion wrote:
Anything terrible that happens to eyeballs, or missing eyes in general. Can't deal. Yicky.

Then do I have the movie for you? See No Evil :D

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 pm
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
Toilet humor....can't stand it....and I tend to hate otherwise good comedies that just have to get the fart joke in.

I'll second stereotypes on this...unless they are satirical (i.e., Airplane!, which I think made a HUGE statement about how blacks are treated in most films).

Erik

Excellent insight :idea:

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:43 pm
Tuco wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:

I see your point there--and I agree that movies in general would be better off without gratuitous nudity.

That said, I'm not sure I'd say I can't bear to watch . . . I usually fight my way through those scenes.

I just think there might be a way to insinuate or explore sexuality or passion in a scene without actually showing body parts, which would probably, in most circumstances, ADD artistic quality to the film...unless of course the film was unredeemable from the beginning....in which case you'll have to let it bounce and jiggle for a hopeful 2.5.....

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:46 pm
Moovy1 wrote:
Tuco wrote:
Moovy1 wrote:

I just think there might be a way to insinuate or explore sexuality or passion in a scene without actually showing body parts, which would probably, in most circumstances, ADD artistic quality to the film...unless of course the film was unredeemable from the beginning....in which case you'll have to let it bounce and jiggle for a hopeful 2.5.....

I wholeheartedly disagree and my reason isn't just cause I like nudity. We show nothing and it's in danger of going to Austin Powers territory...unless it's played for laughs like Austin Powers.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:19 pm