Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 am

Shots and Takes 
Post Re: Shots and Takes
majoraphasia wrote:

There should be a thread that's along the lines of, "Post an image from a movie that reflects how you're feeling right now." Or something.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:04 am
There are two brief scenes or "shots" (pun is definitely not intended here :oops: ) in Saving Private Ryan that stand out for me:

Both of the takes are looking over the shoulder of a German soldier as he is shooting the Americans. The first is from inside a concrete bunker at the beach storming. He sends machine-gun fire into the landing boats just as the ramp drops. We'd been "riding along" with these guys seeing and sensing their fear and nausea and with a brief hail of 8mm fire many are now gone. The next is near the climax of the film where we see Captain Miller (Hanks) running across the bridge as the German soldier he'd previously sent walking, blindfolded, sends a round into his back. We'd followed him along on his whole journey to save Ryan and at this point he'd become just another target to be eliminated.

Both of these shots illustrated the dehumanizing, impersonal nature of war while, at the same time showing how very personal it is to those who've fallen.

There were a couple more instances of this type of take in the movie, (Carpazo's being another big one) but I felt it was used sparingly.

(If a mod feels need to use spoilers, so be it. I thought it was an old enough movie to not bother)

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:15 am
majoraphasia wrote:

How do you feel about this one? I know you dislike the remake.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:40 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

How do you feel about this one? I know you dislike the remake.

I feel pretty ambivalent about 'Funny Games', in general. That's the best Haneke could hope for, I suspect. It's an interesting and pretty brave idea but the whole endeavor reeks of condescension and Haneke's hatred for his specific 'Funny Games' audience. Still, I would call it relevant and thoroughly effective. The original one is very slightly better; Arno Frisch, as Paul, was outstanding and charismatic in ways that Michael Pitt needed to be but wasn't. But it more or less ends there: they're totally superimposable otherwise.

It would have been smarter, I think, to port in a score for the American version. Haneke wanted to make a movie to punish mainstream American ideals and still produced an art-house movie with zero mainstream appeal. That was a mistake. He could have authored the last word on America's enthusiasm for violence and vengeance but he got in the way of himself. I still recommend both versions; they're important screeds even though they're C- films.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:09 pm
Bump. I came across this one again, and it's a lot of fun, so I'm posting it. It's not from a movie, but it is a technically marvelous long take.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:50 pm
Surprised at this one not being mentioned yet:

We start off with a shot of Earth. Countless radio broadcasts are heard in unison. The shot starts to track backwards away from the planet, passing all the other planets in the solar system. The farther it goes back, the older the radio signals get, until eventually there's nothing but silence. The shot still continues though, going through clouds of dust and tracking out of the spiral arms of the galaxy, revealing countless other galaxies across the screen. It continues to track faster and faster until everything becomes a blur of light, when it then transforms into the eye of the main protagonist Ellie, a little girl attempting to communicate with the unknown on a ham radio.

The shot is from Robert Zemeckis' Contact. I caught this on tv over the weekend. It's still one of my absolute favorite films, and this shot is the perfect way to open it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXqOBMICkdA

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 pm
Great discussion on this subject, with examples, over at Jim Emerson's blog: Scanners. http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2010 ... focus.html

Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 am
I think the scene analysis threads over at Freak Safari have just about reached the limit of their popularity. For anyone who's interested, I've compiled our discussions in this thread.

Mon May 03, 2010 1:24 am
Director

Post Favorite movie shots
What are they?

A few that come to mind for me:

The tracking shot in the opening credits of Serenity. One of the longest that I've seen, and remarkable both for the technical detail and the focus of the actors (particularly Nathan Fillion) in pulling it off.

The opening tracking shot in Touch of Evil. It's pretty awesome even fifty years later.

Road to Perdition: When the older son looks through the small hole to see his father shoot two men, it's him getting a glimpse into his father's life.

One particular fight scene from Raging Bull stands out, in which the shot speeds up and slows back down again.

And another Scorsese film, Goodfellas, the tracking shot in which Ray Liotta enters a restaurant where everyone knows him.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:24 am
Post Re: Favorite movie shots
firefly wrote:
The tracking shot in the opening credits of Serenity. One of the longest that I've seen, and remarkable both for the technical detail and the focus of the actors (particularly Nathan Fillion) in pulling it off.

Ah yes. The only problem I've got with that particular shot are the pesky credits rolling over the action. Whedon makes the best of it by offsetting the pesky credits with his usual excellent dialogue.

And, even though it isn't a movie, I'm sticking with the Whedon and going with his dynamite conclusion of Buffy's fifth season wherein we are given the exchange between Buffy and Dawn while we watch Buffy offer up "The Gift".

Best season ender of ANY SERIES EVER. Out of the one's that I've seen.

Also the whole of "The Body". Is there a Buffy thread? Buffy ruled. Buffy is a fun word to write. You should try it.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:18 am
Post Re: Favorite movie shots
majoraphasia wrote:
Also the whole of "The Body". Is there a Buffy thread? Buffy ruled. Buffy is a fun word to write. You should try it.

Buffy. OOOoooh :D

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 pm
Director

Getting back to the shots and takes:

The scene in Platoon just before the soldiers are start ing to party. We see the sun go down outside and hear the opening of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit.

Willem Dafoe's death walk (also in Platoon of course)

The opening of Trainspotting

The opening of Apocalypse Now

The scene in Fight Club before the credits roll.

Already mentioned: Scenes in Goodfellas and Boogie Nights.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 pm