Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Shots and Takes 
Post Re: Shots and Takes
PeachyPete wrote:
I haven't seen Breaking the Waves, but I think both Touch of Evil and The Player are excellent ideas. Like Ken alluded to, discussing one would likely lead to discussing both.
I will also point out that even if people haven't seen the movie, they might still get a lot out of participating in the scene analysis. Assuming it doesn't include spoilers, in which case, they might get a little more out of it than they want.

Quote:
Major makes a good point about starting with something more mainstream. That would probably generate more initial enthusiasm from other posters. What about something like Up? We could discuss the montage at the beginning and try to determine what makes it so emotionally affecting.
We could do that.

EDIT:

As a side note, the picks over at FS were made with both populism and reputation in mind. Goodfellas, for example. It's unquestionably a modern classic, but it's also fairly well known and well liked among the moviegoing public. It is by no means a dusty art house movie. So both of those considerations definitely weighed in. We are finding that more "popular" movies (ex. Gone In 60 Seconds) are finding their way into the preexisting discussions, which is absolutely fine by me.

And the next scene on deck is probably going to be from Citizen Kane, with the adults in the foreground and the kid playing on the sled in the background.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 am
I'm totally interested, however I can't remember most of these films well enough to discuss them in depth. Still, bring it on.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:41 pm
We should start with the opening of Up, as suggested. Can it be a thread unto itself or do we tackle the opening here? There's also the matter of linking a video - not necessary but certainly helpful.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:44 pm
Make a new thread for that project and I think video would be helpful.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:50 pm
Ken wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
I haven't seen Breaking the Waves, but I think both Touch of Evil and The Player are excellent ideas. Like Ken alluded to, discussing one would likely lead to discussing both.
I will also point out that even if people haven't seen the movie, they might still get a lot out of participating in the scene analysis. Assuming it doesn't include spoilers, in which case, they might get a little more out of it than they want.

Quote:
Major makes a good point about starting with something more mainstream. That would probably generate more initial enthusiasm from other posters. What about something like Up? We could discuss the montage at the beginning and try to determine what makes it so emotionally affecting.
We could do that.

EDIT:

As a side note, the picks over at FS were made with both populism and reputation in mind. Goodfellas, for example. It's unquestionably a modern classic, but it's also fairly well known and well liked among the moviegoing public. It is by no means a dusty art house movie. So both of those considerations definitely weighed in. We are finding that more "popular" movies (ex. Gone In 60 Seconds) are finding their way into the preexisting discussions, which is absolutely fine by me.

And the next scene on deck is probably going to be from Citizen Kane, with the adults in the foreground and the kid playing on the sled in the background.

All good points. I not only think its ok to bring other "popular" movies into the discussion, I would encourage it. Classics and well-received movies are generally analyzed to death. I think its interesting to see how the same sorts of techniques can be applied in films that don't get the same amount of respect.

I think Ken should get us going with this (which I guess he already has), if that's alright with him, of course. He has experience and knows how to generate discussion.

What do you think is the best way to pick scenes? We could do a vote, we could let one person pick, or we could let a different person pick each one. I kind of like letting one person pick what they want and rolling with that thread for some pre-determined amount of time.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:45 pm
I would say a link to the clip under discussion is essential. The goal isn't just to talk about it from memory, but to examine the footage itself with an analytical eye. Film is how the story is told. How the story is told is going to have a huge impact on how effective the story is. Put more shortly, the medium and message are one.

PeachyPete wrote:
What do you think is the best way to pick scenes? We could do a vote, we could let one person pick, or we could let a different person pick each one. I kind of like letting one person pick what they want and rolling with that thread for some pre-determined amount of time.
I've been doing them weekly at FS, which seems to be a good pace. It isn't often enough to wear the idea out, but it's often enough to keep people on their critical toes.

We can start with the Up scene, if that's what everybody wants to do. I don't have an enormous personal preference for how scenes get selected, as long as enough people are interested in them.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm
1. The series continues over at Freak Safari. This time around, we're tackling Citizen Kane.

2. We begin our own series here, with Pixar's Up!

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:16 pm
1. It's probably about time to do another scene analysis thread. Ideas?

2. We've got a new one going at FS: When Hannibal Met Clarice.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 pm
Ken wrote:

How about something from Spike Lee? I was thinking the final scene (fantasy of what might have been) or the 5-minute monologue (love letter to New York), both from 25th Hour.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:11 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Ken wrote:

How about something from Spike Lee? I was thinking the final scene (fantasy of what might have been) or the 5-minute monologue (love letter to New York), both from 25th Hour.

Let's do the right thing and give Spike Lee some love on this forum. I think the final scene is more interesting than the much balleyhooed monologue. Brian Cox nails that voiceover. I find Spike unbelievably annoying as a real person (because I know him so well!), but I love that he's outspoken and brash. Completely underrated and overlooked film. Let's do it (the right thing, that is)!

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:33 pm
The opening tracking shot from Touch of Evil is classic.

I did not like Children of Men and I did not like the long takes in that film. Cuaron was merely showing off, and all those long takes were showing off too. Half of them were unnecessary. They may have been well done (of course, with the help of special effects and whatnot) but I, for one, would never mention Children of Men in discussions like this.

Especially the child birth scene. Pointless long take. It's not like I'm gonna believe "oh this is a long take so it must have happened," no. If there's one thing you'll never convince me of on screen, it's child birth. Long take or not, I will just never believe it. Oh and that birth part was so obviously computer generated.

My all time fav shot is from Citizen Kane. After Kane's second wife leaves him, Kane mumbles "Rosebud" again and starts drifting through the long, vast and enormous yet empty halls of his mansion - a lonely man. And while he walks, at one point, there's this one shot where he walks past a mirror - now, before he reaches the mirror, the camera oh-so-subtly pans to the right, so that Kane is rendered out of the frame and the mirror is the only thing in the frame, Kane almost immediately walks past, and then we see.... about dozens of Kane's reflections. This shot:

Just fantastic stuff from Welles.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 am
I don't have a whole lot of time to do double-duty on these, but if anybody wants to run a thread for one of the shots just mentioned, go ahead.

In the meantime, we're talking about Jaws over at FS.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:26 pm
Ken wrote:
I don't have a whole lot of time to do double-duty on these, but if anybody wants to run a thread for one of the shots just mentioned, go ahead.

Mmmmmmmmmmm... no. Once forum activity gets up to a respectable level of buzz it'll be worth a second shot at the idea. I'll read the FS stuff until then.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:40 pm
Our current subject is The Godfather, but the thread is curiously struggling.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Ken wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmmm... no. Once forum activity gets up to a respectable level of buzz it'll be worth a second shot at the idea. I'll read the FS stuff until then.

I guess the Up thread wasn't wildly successful, but I think we should give this at least one other shot. If no-one volunteers I'll do one myself. At least, when I feel less lazy.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Ken wrote:

I guess the Up thread wasn't wildly successful, but I think we should give this at least one other shot. If no-one volunteers I'll do one myself. At least, when I feel less lazy.

Like, I don't know... 30 minutes ago my kid woke up a-yelpin' about something. What was the matter? "Donkeys don't bite," she said. That was it. Bad dream, obviously. I think donkeys do bite but, really, why let her know? But now I'm up. Given everything that lead up to me logging on: I think we should try again! ed_metal_head, you're a good leader. You should do it. Don't be lazy. Donkeys get angry when you're lazy. Which is weird because, really, donkeys are known for two things: donking and lazy. They hate it about themselves and get really pissed when they see it others. Siiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:59 am
majoraphasia wrote:
Like, I don't know... 30 minutes ago my kid woke up a-yelpin' about something. What was the matter? "Donkeys don't bite," she said. That was it. Bad dream, obviously. I think donkeys do bite but, really, why let her know? But now I'm up. Given everything that lead up to me logging on: I think we should try again! ed_metal_head, you're a good leader. You should do it. Don't be lazy. Donkeys get angry when you're lazy. Which is weird because, really, donkeys are known for two things: donking and lazy. They hate it about themselves and get really pissed when they see it others. Siiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Finding a good clip is tough. Tomorrow is a holiday, so I'll try something then. Btw, what the hell are you exposing your kid to in the day? Dreams don't come from nothing, you know.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:20 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Finding a good clip is tough. Tomorrow is a holiday, so I'll try something then. Btw, what the hell are you exposing your kid to in the day? Dreams don't come from nothing, you know.

Thanks for the quick and oddly insinuating response. My guess? A kiddie book featuring a creepy donkey. She usually says things like "hot" and "mama" and variations thereon. It was a disarming thing to hear the donkey comment. Anyone with a wish to pose as Freud is free to hazard a guess. She seems endlessly happy 99.9999% of the time.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:32 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Thanks for the quick and oddly insinuating response. My guess? A kiddie book featuring a creepy donkey. She usually says things like "hot" and "mama" and variations thereon. It was a disarming thing to hear the donkey comment. Anyone with a wish to pose as Freud is free to hazard a guess. She seems endlessly happy 99.9999% of the time.

The solution is, obviously, to show her Au hasard Balthazar. Of course, I have no experience in raising a child, but that totally sounds like the thing to do.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next