Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#23) 
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#84)
Here's an interesting factoid:Colombiana originally started out as a sequel to Leon, but the screenplay wound up getting changed because Natalie Portman was too expensive for the filmmakers to afford.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:25 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#84)
#83 Man on Fire

Yes, Tony Scott's directing is distracting at times but at the same time, it brings intensity to this, Denzel's best movie. But Tony Scott knows how to tell a good story, at least he does now...not during the dark days when he made movies with Tom Cruise, and he knows not to rush things. It lets us see the relationship develop between Denzel and Dakota Fanning and changing Denzel from an broken-down alcoholic bodyguard to the opposite is truly moving but then Dakota is kidnapped. Suddenly, Denzel lashes out and is playing the violent detective, finding clues and leaving dead bodies in his wake. It all comes to a head in emotional climax that left me breathless. Truly a great movie.

Awesome Moment 1
: Denzel interrogating a man who has five minutes left to live...cause he just shoved C4 up his ass
Awesome Moment 2: Denzel's and Dakota Fannings smiling conversation
Awesome Moment 3: "The bullet always tells the truth."

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 8.42 KiB | Viewed 2629 times ]
Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:12 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#83)
#82 Dick Tracy

A truly wild and adventurous movie that breaks the laws of physics and good decorating to make it awesome. It's like a hyper-active comic book that has come to life and populated with some awesome actors like Warren Beatty, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman and James Cann. The story does have some neat twists and all, plus over-top-action and it's all made with this giddy joy that is extremely infectious. There's a reason this is Warren Beatty's highest grossing movie ever.

Awesome Moment 1: Dick Tracy turns around and a car blows up
Awesome Moment 2: "Take the bad men away, they scare me."
Awesome Moment 3: Big Boy Carpice's telling the criminals of the city his evil plan

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 10.33 KiB | Viewed 2580 times ]
Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:19 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#82)
Audrey Hepburn is blind. She unknowingly has a doll filled with heroin. Alan Arkin, Richard Crenna and some other guy wants it back. The game is on as the situation begins more and more desperate. Soon it's between Hepburn and Arkin in a battle of wits, a battle of sight and hearing. And it ends up being one of the best white-knucklers of the 60's. Bravo.

Awesome Moment 1: Alan Arkin's final lunge towards Hepburn
Awesome Moment 2: "I can't negotiate in an atmosphere in distrust"
Awesome Moment 3: Hepburn coming home while Richard Crenna and that other guy are hiding in her apartment.

Attachments:
lens12736861_1281792298Audrey_Hepburns_Wait_Unti.jpg
lens12736861_1281792298Audrey_Hepburns_Wait_Unti.jpg [ 57.63 KiB | Viewed 2550 times ]
Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:37 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#81)
I've honestly never heard of this movie. Does that mean that I suck? Off to IMDB. Ctrl+T!

Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:03 pm
Director

I saw Wait Until Dark with all the lights out. It provides some nice atmosphere for the final scenes.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:23 am
#80 Spirited Away

People call Hayao Miyazaki the Walt Disney of Japan, and it's not too hard to disagree. Sure the plot is basically the retread of the sullen person learning self-reliance and being not sullen but a great movie is never what's it about, it's how's it about. This movie is filled with to the brim with visual inventions like a smart-aleck frog, a witch who's mostly nose and a spirit with a blank mask for a face. This is a movie that demands to be seen at least twice, once for the story and the other for the wild world of Spirited Away.

Awesome Moment 1: The cleansing of the Water Spirit
Awesome Moment 2: The trip to see the evil witch's twin sister
Awesome Moment 3: Chichiro remembering Haku's real name

Attachments:
10939003_det.jpg
10939003_det.jpg [ 18.66 KiB | Viewed 2502 times ]
Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#80)
Is Spirited Away your favourite Miyazaki film, Pat? It's certainly one of his better ones, but I'm not sure that it's his best.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Is Spirited Away your favourite Miyazaki film, Pat? It's certainly one of his better ones, but I'm not sure that it's his best.

No ;)

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:30 pm
Patrick wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

No ;)

Oooooh, I love that you've kept me in suspense. I can't wait to see what it is, princess.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:49 pm
#79 Field of Dreams

If alien scientists of the future want to reverse-engineer a movie that is designed to be mawkish, manipulative and prone to cause diabetes, this would be it. So the question is why is this on the list? Why is it so beloved? Why do I love it despite my extreme indifference to baseball and baseball related things? Two words, emotional honesty. It's easy to make this bad as it could've been but this movie transcends its flaws to be a tale of redemption, something that is easily relateable to non-sports people. By the end, it all comes to an emotional peak that almost challenges the audience to not tear up.

Awesome Moment 1: Kevin Costner kidnapping James Earl Jones
Awesome Moment 2: The ending and what it all meant
Awesome Moment 3: Kevin Costner's trip to 1972

Attachments:
220px-Field_of_Dreams.jpg
220px-Field_of_Dreams.jpg [ 20.65 KiB | Viewed 2437 times ]
Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:31 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#79)
I really like that movie too. I do wonder if that's the actual theatrical poster though. It's terrible. Someone should start a "good movie, terrible poster" thread. Can this example be topped?

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#79)
#78 Shrek

Any movie that has an almost evil, subversive bent to it deserves praise. The fact that one of the best is a cartoon deserves a lot of praise. This movie pulls no punches, takes no prisoners and its barbs are extremely sharp makes it hard to dislike it's attitude. The fact that is really funny doesn't hurt it either especially Eddie Murphy who seems as of late to only being funny in animated films.

Awesome Moment 1: Princess Fiona's singing competition with a couple birds, accidentally kills them and then has the eggs for breakfast.
Awesome Moment 2: "Blue flower, red thorns. Blue flower, red thorns. Blue flower, red thorns. Man, this would be so much easier if I wasn't COLOR-BLIND!"
Awesome Moment 3: "Dead broad off the table!"

Attachments:
220px-Shrek.jpg
220px-Shrek.jpg [ 26.69 KiB | Viewed 2386 times ]
Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:35 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#78)
#77 Spider-Man 2

Between the first Spider-Man movie that had to battle a villain whose costume was kinda gay and the third which is an exercise in ruining the second-greatest Spider-man villain is Spider-Man 2, the best of the Spider-Mans and one of the greatest comic book movies that isn't a Superman or a Batman. I won't lie though, the main reason I love it is because of Doc Ock. To me, he's the ultimate Spider-Man villain like Joker to Batman, Lex Luther to Superman or Vampires to Blade so me liking it is guaranteed. However, it is much more than just me geeking out over the villain. It's about the life-choices and the consequences between Spider-Man being who he is and dealing with it in near-poverty. It's about the consequences of Harry Osbourn and him wallowing in vengeful thoughts. That's the main thrust of the picture and what elevates this into a more complete movie.

Awesome Moment 1: The train battle
Awesome Moment 2: "I will not die a monster!"
Awesome Moment 3: That suprise cameo

Attachments:
220px-Spider-Man_2_Poster.jpg
220px-Spider-Man_2_Poster.jpg [ 27.64 KiB | Viewed 2353 times ]
Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:49 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#77)
#76 The Fugitive

An innocent doctor convicted of him killing his wife, a obsessed cop played by Tommy Lee Jones who loves to search every type of house, a one-arm man who really did kill the doctor's wife....game on. This is the type of movie that shouldn't even exist, a great film based off a TV show and especially coming from someone who has never seen a single episode of it. But it doesn't matter if you never saw an episode or seen all of them, this movie strips the series to the bare bones and builds it up into a taut suspenseful thriller that wastes no time from getting to one chase to another. Tommy Lee Jones here also gives one of his most entertaining performances as the cop who just doesn't care.

Awesome Moment 1: Harrison Ford jumps off the waterfall
Awesome Moment 2: Tommy Lee Jones commanding everyone to search every type of house
Awesome Moment 3: "Oh. Wow. Gee Whiz. Looky here. You know we're always fascinated when we find leg irons with no legs in them. "

Attachments:
220px-The_Fugitive_movie.jpg
220px-The_Fugitive_movie.jpg [ 17.55 KiB | Viewed 2326 times ]
Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:15 am
Director

Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#76)
The Fugitive is a really good movie. It's the type of entertainment that the studios should be releasing on a weekly basis, but unfortunately we only get once in a blue moon.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:29 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
The Fugitive is a really good movie. It's the type of entertainment that the studios should be releasing on a weekly basis, but unfortunately we only get once in a blue moon.

I thought it was a decent film that sort of lagged at the end and was a bit too long for it's own good.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:49 pm
WARNING: ONE OF THE WORST-WRITTEN ENTRIES ON THE LIST...READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

#75 The Naked Gun

In 1982, a show called Police Squad debuted on TV. It lasted 6 episodes and was canceled....mostly cause it wasn't very good, best viewed through the memories of nostalgia. So the cast and crew laid in wait for 6 years, fixing the show's flaws and waiting to unleash this new form of the show...in movie form. So, what else can I say? Pretty much nothing without fear of accidentally ruining the best jokes, this needs to be watched with virgin eyes! GO, this will be waiting.

Awesome Moment 1: I'm dead serious
Awesome Moment 2: about not spoiling anything
Awesome Moment 3: for you.

Attachments:
the-naked-gun-from-the-files-of-police-squad-1988.jpg
the-naked-gun-from-the-files-of-police-squad-1988.jpg [ 21.19 KiB | Viewed 2277 times ]
Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:26 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#75)
#74 Cloverfield

When I saw Blair Witch, here is my thoughts: nothings happening, nothings happening, did that guy say he threw away the map, they do deserve to die...maybe not Josh but still...that chick and the retard who threw away the map certainly do, movie's over....about time. Despite my hatred for Blair Witch, I knew that concept was sound and if done right with non-retarded characters who wouldn't throw away a map, the movie had the potential to be awesome. Cloverfield is that concept done right. I mean, the people here aren't retards and even though they don't come in possession of any maps, I doubt they would throw any away. This movie is pure balls-to-the-walls relentless horror as something like an angrier Godzilla destroys NYC. It's all very exhausting but after it's done, you know you witnessed something special.

Awesome Moment 1: Night-vision, tunnel, parasites
Awesome Moment 2: The monster jumping from the smoke to grab the helicopter
Awesome Moment 3: What happens when a parasite bites a person

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 6.66 KiB | Viewed 2242 times ]
Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#73)
We should petition JB to include a vomit-face smiley. I'd use it here. Not that Cloverfield is a bad movie. Or a good one. I wouldn't know. I spent most of my time in the theater fighting the effects of nausea. Do not want.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next