Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies from 2008(#23) 
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#91)
#90: Highlander

The movie starts, the first thing you hear is Sean Connery doing some narration about immortals. Then, comes Queen blaring with the awesome "Princes of the Universe" and the movie begins in an arena during a pro wrestling match as the camera circles and zooms in until it ends with a close-up of Christopher Lambert's face. Soon after, he leaves and finds some guy and suddenly, they're sword fighting with Lambert cutting the other guy's head off. This is the first 10 minutes and yes, Highlander gets even more awesome after that. I called this awesomeness personified as it relentlessly travels between past and present, among sword fights while Lambert is mentored by Sean Connery in one of his most awesome performances. The sad thing is that even though the movie says "There can only be one"...they made more than one movie and one of them was the horrible Highlander II....sigh, should have left well enough alone.

Awesome Moment 1: There can be only one!
Awesome Moment 2: Lambert in the 1700's, hilarious duel misadventures there.
Awesome Moment 3: "It's a sword."

Attachments:
highlander-poster.jpg
highlander-poster.jpg [ 72.2 KiB | Viewed 2402 times ]
Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:15 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#90)
#89. Face/Off

After wowing Asia with A Better Tomorrow I and II & Hard Boiled, John Woo went to America to wow us. It took a while since his first movie was Hard Target, a Van-Damme film that miraculously didn't suck and wound up being the second best Van-Damme film behind Sudden Death despite being cut to ribbons by the American censors. Then came Broken Arrow which played it safe, but was by no means bad, and we felt that he blew it and we shouldn't look forward to his films anymore. Then came Face/Off, or as I like to call it Sean Connery for it slapped us like a bitch, and it showed that John Woo still has the ability to make awesome action. Sure the plot's far-fetched with John Travolta and Nicholas Cage trading faces and causing havoc but there was great fun and some philosophical musing behind the identity of people...not a lot but some to add some substance in the violence. And yes, the movie is a bit overlong but it still carries the same level of intensity throughout. It's almost sad that after this, John Woo forgot how to make good films and we had to suffer through MI:2 and Paycheck.

Awesome Moment 1: "It's like looking into a mirror, only not."
Awesome Moment 2: The plane chase/shootout.
Awesome Moment 3: The boat chase.

Attachments:
faceoff.jpg
faceoff.jpg [ 30.03 KiB | Viewed 2371 times ]
Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:03 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#89)
Face/Off is my all time favorite action film, I also thought Paycheck was pretty underrated.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:32 pm
I really need to re-see Face/Off. But, for a while there, it was my favourite action movie too.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 pm
Second Unit Director

Face/Off, The Rock, and Con Air would probably rank as my favorite action films from the 90s. I love all of them to bits, and if you asked me pick one over the other, I would have difficulty doing it. One day it might be Face/Off, on others it might be The Rock or Con Air.

IMO, what makes F/O such a great movie is the acting from Travolta and Cage. They are essentially in each other's skins and play the characters as such. Even if you take the great action sequences out of the picture, I can watch it over and over again just to see two of the finest actors at work.

It also has my favorite scene in any action film. Period. Where they stand on the either side of a glass and talk to each other. Travolta says, "Oh well, let's just kill each other." And they turn around to see their own faces but, in essence, they are looking at the guy on the opposite side. I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:35 am
Profile WWW
#88: Total Recall

1987, Paul Verhoeven explodes onto the scene with the gloriously over-the-top Robocop. There was only one man that could make any Verhoeven follow-up even more over-the-top...that man was Schwarzenegger. With him brought the condition that every action sequence was carefully calibrated to have the most action that one human brain could take before it exploded from seeing too much awesome action. I mean people are shot repeatedly, necks are broken, people are drilled to death and one innocent was literally grabbed by Schwarzenegger and used as a human shield. But if it was all action, it wouldn't be the classic it is today. What differentiates it from the typical Arnold movie is that it's actually has a brain and makes us question whether this is happening or just a delusional dream that Arnold is having. Also, having a three-breasted hooker doesn't hurt either. Sad to see that Verhoeven would make no more good movies after that...even though Hollow Man had moments and I haven't seen Showgirls yet....sigh.

Awesome Moment 1: "SCREW YOU, BENNY!"
Awesome Moment 2: Arnold disguises himself as a fat lady.
Awesome Moment 3: "You think this is the real Quaid...IT IS!"

Attachments:
220px-Total_recall.jpg
220px-Total_recall.jpg [ 16.07 KiB | Viewed 2314 times ]
Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:38 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#88)
What about Starship Troopers? That was pretty fun.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:16 pm
Vexer wrote:
What about Starship Troopers? That was pretty fun.

1. Remember, the text is three years old. I would amend that statement to say that Black Book was pretty damn good.
2. Starship Troopers was good once. Any other times I've tried to watch it, I just get bored to tears.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:24 pm
I was gonna be real upset had you not mentioned the three boobies Pats. Blew my little 8 year old mind.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:45 pm
Director

Total Recall is a really good movie. Even today, I enjoy watching it, and it's got plenty of quotable Schwarzenegger. Although I must admit that I think the film might have been more interesting if it had been made in the vision of original director David Cronenberg.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:36 pm
ram1312 wrote:
I was gonna be real upset had you not mentioned the three boobies Pats. Blew my little 8 year old mind.

Hilarious. I saw it at about the same age and had the same reaction. I haven't seen the movie since but I still remember that. Clearly.

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#87)
A movie that I can't risk saying too much for the main joy of watching this is seeing how the movie constructs itself out of random coincidences, mistaken identities, and the rug being pulled out from under you. And the actors seem to be having tons of fun saying such ridiculously awesome lines that I can in no way elaborate on it, instead watch it and you'll understand why it's here.

Awesome Moment 1: "Don't worry, I'm going to kill somebody."
Awesome Moment 2: The ending where everything just comes together.
Awesome Moment 3: Josh Hartnet being forcibly dragged to meet Morgan Freeman..in a towel.

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 8.93 KiB | Viewed 2241 times ]
Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:58 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#87)
#86: Die Hard with a Vengeance

Hmmm, another Bruce Willis movie..no matter this is awesome. This had the difficult task to erase the stink that Die Hard 2 left on McClane fans and it does that to make a gripping action/thriller. The main flaw in Die Hard 2 was that McClane killed all the terrorists at once in the end and there is no fun in that so this goes back to killing a small group of terrorists at a time. But wait, there's a guest in the form of Samuel L. Jackson who got dragged into the mess and Jeremy Irons as the evil guy with puzzles. Yes, I said puzzles, the kinds you solve unless you want innocent people to die! All these pieces make this a pulse-raising flick using brains the first hour, and then a pulse-raising flick using brawn the last hour. It was great to McClane to redeem himself with this.

Awesome Moment 1:
-Samuel L. Jackson: You're trying to hit all these people!
-Bruce Willis: No! Maybe that mime.

Awesome Moment 2: The opening explosion, that makes this a movie I wish I can see the first time again.
Awesome Moment 3: McClane and Samuel L. Jackson figuring out how to make 4 gallons of water with only a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon jug.

Attachments:
220px-Die_Hard_With_A_Vengance.jpg
220px-Die_Hard_With_A_Vengance.jpg [ 18.27 KiB | Viewed 2181 times ]
Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:10 am
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#86)
Quote:
It was great to McClane to redeem himself with this.

..and then destory all that goodwill by having Die Hard 4.0 exist.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 pm
Nick wrote:
Quote:
It was great to McClane to redeem himself with this.

..and then destory all that goodwill by having Die Hard 4.0 exist.

Still better than 2.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 pm
I was gifted the Die Hard-movie-four-pack-deal I don't know how many Christmasses ago, and I have yet to watch the last two movies in the set. Maybe you just pushed me to watch it sooner than never Pats. Thanks man.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:33 pm
ram1312 wrote:
I was gifted the Die Hard-movie-four-pack-deal I don't know how many Christmasses ago, and I have yet to watch the last two movies in the set. Maybe you just pushed me to watch it sooner than never Pats. Thanks man.

He's right too. Die Hard 3 is much better than 2 and, as far as Bruce Willis star vehicles are concerned, pretty awesome.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:57 pm
#85 The Last Boy Scout

I swear this is going to be the last Bruce Willis movie for a long while. This movie is just like a 80's action movie but hyper-stylized to the extreme. Shoot-outs happen at the drop of a hat, anything could explode and one-liners come at you like muggers in the subways and I loved every minute of it. This is a movie that I have basically memorized....literally. Hell, I still laugh with it despite me having seen it over five times, possibly ten and that's rewatchability that you just can't get with most films.

Awesome Moment 1: The inventor of Tai-Bo, Billy Blanks, killing people in the opening scene
Awesome Moment 2: "If we go any faster, we'll go back in time."
Awesome Moment 3: Bruce Willis kills a guy...by punching him in the face!

Attachments:
220px-Last_boy_scout.jpg
220px-Last_boy_scout.jpg [ 22.23 KiB | Viewed 2105 times ]
Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:11 pm
Patrick wrote:
#85 The Last Boy Scout

I swear this is going to be the last Bruce Willis movie for a long while. This movie is just like a 80's action movie but hyper-stylized to the extreme. Shoot-outs happen at the drop of a hat, anything could explode and one-liners come at you like muggers in the subways and I loved every minute of it. This is a movie that I have basically memorized....literally. Hell, I still laugh with it despite me having seen it over five times, possibly ten and that's rewatchability that you just can't get with most films.

Awesome Moment 1: The inventor of Tai-Bo, Billy Blanks, killing people in the opening scene
Awesome Moment 2: "If we go any faster, we'll go back in time."
Awesome Moment 3: Bruce Willis kills a guy...by punching him in the face!

Don't forget the death by helicopter!

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:08 pm
Post Re: Patrick presents Patrick's Top 100 movies...from 2008(#85)
#84 Leon

Luc Besson called this filler and something to do while The Fifth Element was warming up, I call this the best movie he's done. Granted, this is a good action movie but that's not what it's truly about. It's about Jean Reno's relationship with Natalie Portman, in her film debut, as a mentor/father figure/possible lover. There's real tenderness there, even in the scenes where Reno teaches Portman how to be a hitgirl/woman. Also, Gary Oldman is also in it and it's one of his top 3 most evilest performances ever. Now, there is some debate on which version is better, America's or France's. While there is nothing wrong with America's version, France's version fleshes out the characters and relationships more making it more emotionally powerful so that's what I say.

Awesome Moment 1: "EEEvvvverrrryOOOnnnNNNEEEeee!"
Awesome Moment 2: The training of Natalie Portman, assassin
Awesome Moment 3: Gary Oldman killing Natalie Portman's family

Attachments:
41589_18727096669_2941_n.jpg
41589_18727096669_2941_n.jpg [ 16.04 KiB | Viewed 2050 times ]
Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:53 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next