Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Worst 5 movies of all time 
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
I haven't seen enough bad movies to get a great list of 5, but Transylvania 6-5000 and The Avengers (Uma Thurman) are both terrible. TERRIBLE.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:55 am
Director

I've only seen one of the bottom 100 at Imdb ("Santa Claus Conquers the Martians") partly because they have a cutoff of 1500 votes, and partly because "BloodRayne" has dropped off the list.

Those are both worthy candidates, but:
"The Day the Fish Came Out" still smells after over 40 years.
"The Love Guru" is the worst new film I've seen in the last few years. Ben Kingsley managed to be in both this and BloodRayne, giving two truly dreadful performance.
"God-Monster of Indian Flats" Mutant sheep movie from the hippie era which has no ending at all.
"Orgy of the Dead" By this time Ed Wood was reduced to writing this trash. Directed by the incompetent Stephen C. Apostolof, it's boring with talentless strippers for sex appeal. One of those rare times I think a movie would actually have been improved by having Ed Wood direct it; at least it wouldn't have been boring.
"The Forbidden Zone" Some friends actually like this movie about a dimension you enter from being shat from a giant set of intestines and find yourself in a land of frog-headed footmen and Herve Villechaize. I just found it painful to experience.

A special nod for "Princess Raccoon,," a Chinese musical about were-raccoon-dogs which might actually be a semi-decent movie under normal conditions, but it isn't when it's subtitled apparently by a machine that leaves out any word that it has trouble translating. Among these words are anybody's name. It made for an amazingly incomprehensible movie experience. Does look pretty good, and has Zhang ZIyi.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 am
Director

More movies keep popping up.
Moving Violations was a ripoff of the Police Academy movies, which are bad enough in themselves but fitfully amusing. Moving Violations, which is set it a driving school, doesn't even have that. The attempts at humor are strained and even manage to get offensive without approaching humor.

I remember actively despising Compromising Positions but I don't remember exactly why. It has Susan Sarandon and Raul Julia. It's something about a sleep-around dentist who is murdered, presumably by someone who'd seen the outtakes. I guess the overall cheap sleaze is what got to me.

I really disliked Deathtrap but that was partly because it wanted so hard to be Sleuth without having any of the style. Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if I saw it now.

Skullduggery is a Burt Reynolds movie in which an ewok-like race is discovered in the jungle (in New Guinea, if I remember). Eventually to protect them there is a trial to prove their sapience. Directed with the skill generally attributed to Bedtime for Bonzo, which is far superior. What's really annoying is that the plot is almost identical for the novel "Little Fuzzy" by H. Beam Piper, except (1) that is set on another planet and (2) "Little Fuzzy" is halfway good. But even that can't get beyond the fact that its other human race look like teddy bears. Probably written by Ewoks.

As for sheer incompetence, I'd say Children of the Corn, which I remember finding incompetent in writing, acting, directing, cinematography, special effects and any attempt to be scary. There's so little here to base a movie on that it's amazing there have been eight sequels, the last six of which have been straight to video. The director was here a few years ago to lecture directing, which is like hiring Charlie Sheen to teach philosophy.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:47 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8