Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:50 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Worst 5 movies of all time 
Author Message
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Darwin1859 wrote:
Along came polly (the only upside was it helped me start dating my wife)
Medicine Man (I know a lot of people like this one, but not even sleep could save me!)


The really ammoying thing about Aong Came Polly was that if you saw the trailer you saw the plat of the film in it's entire sequence.

I also offer Spawn. This film was so boring that I actually fell asleep watching in the cinema.


Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1292
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
I try to avoid bad movies as much as possible, but a few have managed to slip through the cracks. The 5 worst of these:

"Wedding Crashers"
"Ace Ventura: Pet Detective"
"Jingle All the Way"
"Showdown in Little Tokyo"
"Super Troopers"


Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:05 pm
Profile
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
p604 wrote:
Darwin1859 wrote:
Along came polly (the only upside was it helped me start dating my wife)
Medicine Man (I know a lot of people like this one, but not even sleep could save me!)


The really ammoying thing about Aong Came Polly was that if you saw the trailer you saw the plat of the film in it's entire sequence.

I also offer Spawn. This film was so boring that I actually fell asleep watching in the cinema.


i actually found along came polly to be an enjoyable romantic comedy with a good amount of laughs.
H.I. McDonough wrote:
I try to avoid bad movies as much as possible, but a few have managed to slip through the cracks. The 5 worst of these:

"Wedding Crashers"
"Ace Ventura: Pet Detective"
"Jingle All the Way"
"Showdown in Little Tokyo"
"Super Troopers"


Wedding Crashers is my favorite comedy and in my top 25 so I guess I'll have to disagree with you on that. Super Troopers though by no means a good movie is still entertaining, and jingle all the way is a christmas classic. I would like to add I Am Sam to the list, I think Robert Downey Jr. put it best, "you never go full retard."


Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:05 am
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm
Posts: 1292
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Meatloaf wrote:
[Wedding Crashers is my favorite comedy and in my top 25 so I guess I'll have to disagree with you on that. Super Troopers though by no means a good movie is still entertaining, and jingle all the way is a christmas classic. I would like to add I Am Sam to the list, I think Robert Downey Jr. put it best, "you never go full retard."


Well, I can't stand 'comedies' that basically bludgeon you to death with its 'humor.' But then take away all the bawdy stuff and you've got another painfully formulaic rom-com. I don't know why mainstream comedy has gotten so broad and blunt and...just plain in-your-face. I mean, "Old School" made "Animal House" look like a Truffaut film. :ugeek: If it weren't for the likes of the Coen Brothers, Charlie Kaufman, Noah Baumbach, Wes Anderson, and Jim Jarmusch (and the occasional surprise), the current state of comedic movies would be awfully sad.

"Jingle All the Way" was just plain insulting. It's probably a great movie if you're 6 or under, but if you're older than that it'll likely insult your intelligence. Even more embarrassing is that it was shot in my hometown area (the Twin Cities). :cry:


Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:43 am
Profile
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
H.I. McDonough wrote:
Meatloaf wrote:
[Wedding Crashers is my favorite comedy and in my top 25 so I guess I'll have to disagree with you on that. Super Troopers though by no means a good movie is still entertaining, and jingle all the way is a christmas classic. I would like to add I Am Sam to the list, I think Robert Downey Jr. put it best, "you never go full retard."


Well, I can't stand 'comedies' that basically bludgeon you to death with its 'humor.' But then take away all the bawdy stuff and you've got another painfully formulaic rom-com. I don't know why mainstream comedy has gotten so broad and blunt and...just plain in-your-face. I mean, "Old School" made "Animal House" look like a Truffaut film. :ugeek: If it weren't for the likes of the Coen Brothers, Charlie Kaufman, Noah Baumbach, Wes Anderson, and Jim Jarmusch (and the occasional surprise), the current state of comedic movies would be awfully sad.

"Jingle All the Way" was just plain insulting. It's probably a great movie if you're 6 or under, but if you're older than that it'll likely insult your intelligence. Even more embarrassing is that it was shot in my hometown area (the Twin Cities). :cry:


But Schwarzenegger saved the world from an army of evil Santas...and Sinbad! Granted, Schwarzenegger should never ever be in slapstick.


Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 am
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
I thought The Marine and Along Came Polly were relatively good movies.

My ultimate worst was Freddy Got Fingered.

And although Battlefield Earth was a bad movie, I probably wouldn't include it in my 5, much less 20 worst moves of all time.


Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:14 pm
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 951
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
I usually am pretty good at picking movies that end up being good, but I've seen some pretty bad ones.

5. The Forsaken. This is for the airheaded and vapid minority of teen agers that movie studios thinkeveryone between the ages of 13 and 20 is. No scares, an embarrassing script and containing some of the WORST acting i have ever seen.

4. 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain. I remember my parents renting this on a whim when I was a little kid. It was so trashy and stupid.

3. Ghost World. Honestly, I felt terrible and violated after watching this movie. I have no problem with dark comedies or grim humor, but the way this was made made me feel like I had been publicly humiliated. :x

2. The Royal Tenenbaums. See above, only worse. :x :x :evil: :evil:

1.5 Hot Rod. I really hate understated humor. If I see a comedy, I want to laugh. I don't want to be subconsciously amused or any crap like that. That's the reason why I don't particularly care for Judd Apatow movies (although they are hilarious when you watch them with other people). I can see the humor in those movies, and they are certainly enjoyable and amusing. But Hot Rod was like Anchorman. Dull, tedious and unfunny.

1. Anchorman. Will Ferrell does nothing for me. I liked Elf, but that's probably because it had a good script and director. Anchorman was as if it were made by middle schoolers. It was as if a dirty word was somehow funny just because it was a dirty word.

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
moviemkr7 wrote:
I usually am pretty good at picking movies that end up being good, but I've seen some pretty bad ones.

5. The Forsaken. This is for the airheaded and vapid minority of teen agers that movie studios thinkeveryone between the ages of 13 and 20 is. No scares, an embarrassing script and containing some of the WORST acting i have ever seen.

4. 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain. I remember my parents renting this on a whim when I was a little kid. It was so trashy and stupid.

3. Ghost World. Honestly, I felt terrible and violated after watching this movie. I have no problem with dark comedies or grim humor, but the way this was made made me feel like I had been publicly humiliated. :x

2. The Royal Tenenbaums. See above, only worse. :x :x :evil: :evil:

1.5 Hot Rod. I really hate understated humor. If I see a comedy, I want to laugh. I don't want to be subconsciously amused or any crap like that. That's the reason why I don't particularly care for Judd Apatow movies (although they are hilarious when you watch them with other people). I can see the humor in those movies, and they are certainly enjoyable and amusing. But Hot Rod was like Anchorman. Dull, tedious and unfunny.

1. Anchorman. Will Ferrell does nothing for me. I liked Elf, but that's probably because it had a good script and director. Anchorman was as if it were made by middle schoolers. It was as if a dirty word was somehow funny just because it was a dirty word.




hmmm. will ferrell doesn't do it for me either, although anchorman is his best. how could anchorman be on here but semi-pro or talladega nights be missing? also, i really like the royal tenenbaums AND ghost world. OPPOSING FORCES COLLIDE.

for me it'd be

envy
the happening
observe and report
i hope they serve beer in hell
you don't mess with the zohan


Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:53 am
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Never heard of I Hope They Served Beer in Hell and your review didn't make me want to seek it and torture myself on it Carter.

And am I the only one who thought The Happening was mediocre? That it was decent but flawed until they started running where it began to suck out of control and that M. Night did gore pretty well? That Marky Mark talking to a fake houseplant was hilarious for the right reasons?


Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:01 am
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
moulton4 wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
I usually am pretty good at picking movies that end up being good, but I've seen some pretty bad ones.

5. The Forsaken. This is for the airheaded and vapid minority of teen agers that movie studios thinkeveryone between the ages of 13 and 20 is. No scares, an embarrassing script and containing some of the WORST acting i have ever seen.

4. 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain. I remember my parents renting this on a whim when I was a little kid. It was so trashy and stupid.

3. Ghost World. Honestly, I felt terrible and violated after watching this movie. I have no problem with dark comedies or grim humor, but the way this was made made me feel like I had been publicly humiliated. :x

2. The Royal Tenenbaums. See above, only worse. :x :x :evil: :evil:

1.5 Hot Rod. I really hate understated humor. If I see a comedy, I want to laugh. I don't want to be subconsciously amused or any crap like that. That's the reason why I don't particularly care for Judd Apatow movies (although they are hilarious when you watch them with other people). I can see the humor in those movies, and they are certainly enjoyable and amusing. But Hot Rod was like Anchorman. Dull, tedious and unfunny.

1. Anchorman. Will Ferrell does nothing for me. I liked Elf, but that's probably because it had a good script and director. Anchorman was as if it were made by middle schoolers. It was as if a dirty word was somehow funny just because it was a dirty word.




hmmm. will ferrell doesn't do it for me either, although anchorman is his best. how could anchorman be on here but semi-pro or talladega nights be missing? also, i really like the royal tenenbaums AND ghost world. OPPOSING FORCES COLLIDE.

for me it'd be

envy
the happening
observe and report
i hope they serve beer in hell
you don't mess with the zohan


Anchorman is absolutely hilarious, but I can see it not being for everyone. But to call it the worst movie ever is a little over the top. It should at the very least be moved down to 1.5 because there is no way hot rod is better than anchorman.


Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:42 pm
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Meatloaf wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
I usually am pretty good at picking movies that end up being good, but I've seen some pretty bad ones.

5. The Forsaken. This is for the airheaded and vapid minority of teen agers that movie studios thinkeveryone between the ages of 13 and 20 is. No scares, an embarrassing script and containing some of the WORST acting i have ever seen.

4. 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain. I remember my parents renting this on a whim when I was a little kid. It was so trashy and stupid.

3. Ghost World. Honestly, I felt terrible and violated after watching this movie. I have no problem with dark comedies or grim humor, but the way this was made made me feel like I had been publicly humiliated. :x

2. The Royal Tenenbaums. See above, only worse. :x :x :evil: :evil:

1.5 Hot Rod. I really hate understated humor. If I see a comedy, I want to laugh. I don't want to be subconsciously amused or any crap like that. That's the reason why I don't particularly care for Judd Apatow movies (although they are hilarious when you watch them with other people). I can see the humor in those movies, and they are certainly enjoyable and amusing. But Hot Rod was like Anchorman. Dull, tedious and unfunny.

1. Anchorman. Will Ferrell does nothing for me. I liked Elf, but that's probably because it had a good script and director. Anchorman was as if it were made by middle schoolers. It was as if a dirty word was somehow funny just because it was a dirty word.




hmmm. will ferrell doesn't do it for me either, although anchorman is his best. how could anchorman be on here but semi-pro or talladega nights be missing? also, i really like the royal tenenbaums AND ghost world. OPPOSING FORCES COLLIDE.

for me it'd be

envy
the happening
observe and report
i hope they serve beer in hell
you don't mess with the zohan


Anchorman is absolutely hilarious, but I can see it not being for everyone. But to call it the worst movie ever is a little over the top. It should at the very least be moved down to 1.5 because there is no way hot rod is better than anchorman.

I could see someone calling Anchorman one of the worst movies ever, but not just on its own merits.
The only way it could be one of the worst is if you consider its impact in that it pushed Will Ferrell totally into the mainstream with his infantile act that he started on SNL where he makes nonsensical exclamations along with gross-out jokes in a slow drawl that makes him sound somewhat charmingly idiotic. That it eventually led to things like Semi-Pro and Land of the Lost is a big strike against it even if the movie itself isn't terrible.


Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:56 am
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Patrick wrote:
And am I the only one who thought The Happening was mediocre? That it was decent but flawed until they started running where it began to suck out of control and that M. Night did gore pretty well? That Marky Mark talking to a fake houseplant was hilarious for the right reasons?


Nah, I thought so too. Overall, I don't think M. Night is too bad. I even thought Lady In the Water had some redeeming qualities.


Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:55 pm
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 pm
Posts: 951
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Meatloaf wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
moviemkr7 wrote:
I usually am pretty good at picking movies that end up being good, but I've seen some pretty bad ones.

5. The Forsaken. This is for the airheaded and vapid minority of teen agers that movie studios thinkeveryone between the ages of 13 and 20 is. No scares, an embarrassing script and containing some of the WORST acting i have ever seen.

4. 3 Ninjas High Noon at Mega Mountain. I remember my parents renting this on a whim when I was a little kid. It was so trashy and stupid.

3. Ghost World. Honestly, I felt terrible and violated after watching this movie. I have no problem with dark comedies or grim humor, but the way this was made made me feel like I had been publicly humiliated. :x

2. The Royal Tenenbaums. See above, only worse. :x :x :evil: :evil:

1.5 Hot Rod. I really hate understated humor. If I see a comedy, I want to laugh. I don't want to be subconsciously amused or any crap like that. That's the reason why I don't particularly care for Judd Apatow movies (although they are hilarious when you watch them with other people). I can see the humor in those movies, and they are certainly enjoyable and amusing. But Hot Rod was like Anchorman. Dull, tedious and unfunny.

1. Anchorman. Will Ferrell does nothing for me. I liked Elf, but that's probably because it had a good script and director. Anchorman was as if it were made by middle schoolers. It was as if a dirty word was somehow funny just because it was a dirty word.




hmmm. will ferrell doesn't do it for me either, although anchorman is his best. how could anchorman be on here but semi-pro or talladega nights be missing? also, i really like the royal tenenbaums AND ghost world. OPPOSING FORCES COLLIDE.

for me it'd be

envy
the happening
observe and report
i hope they serve beer in hell
you don't mess with the zohan


Anchorman is absolutely hilarious, but I can see it not being for everyone. But to call it the worst movie ever is a little over the top. It should at the very least be moved down to 1.5 because there is no way hot rod is better than anchorman.


While I admit to hating Hot Rod with a passion, it was one of those movies that I didn't have any hopes for in the first place, so it was not so much of a letdown (just aggressively boring and tedious). Anchorman, however, I did have high hopes for. I had heard good things about it, and was expecting something pretty funny. But having high hopes for something makes it worse if it turns out to be less than what you'd expect.

_________________
My movie review site:

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/


Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1563
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
For the most part I'm trying to avoid obvious ones (IE: Problem Child 2). I generally try to avoid bad movies. But I've seen quite a few. Here are what I would consider to be the 5 worst.

5: Bio-Dome. (3 words: Pauly Shore "Movie" (Or more accurately: Pauly Shore pathetic attempt at a movie.))
4: It's Pat The Movie. (The only reason I watched this was because I had to do as part of an online site. The success of The Blues Brothers and Waynes World aside, a federal law outlawing movies based on SNL sketches might be worth looking into.)
3: Hudson Hawk/Battlefield Earth (Two way tie.)
2: The Adventures Of Pluto Nash (The fact is, aside from the first 2 Shreks and Dreamgirls, the last decade was a crap one for Eddie Murphy. This one barely beat out Daddy Day Care and Norbit.)
1: Pearl Harbor (Not to keep picking on Michael Bay since this mess wasn't totally his fault. A good part of the blame does have to go to screenwriter Randall Wallace for the awful dialogue and a story that coulda been written on a piece of toilet paper.)

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:29 pm
Profile
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
So Jeff, what's your excuse for seeing Bio-Dome? Was that like a dare or something?


Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:03 pm
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Alice in Wonderland is one of the worst films I've seen in a while. And I had decent expectations for it.


Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:51 pm
Director

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:28 pm
Posts: 1537
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
5.) Chuck and Larry (Think of this as Soul Plane, but it's focused on gays).
4.) North
3.) September Dawn
2.) The Boondock Saints series (Directing and especially writing is not Troy Duffy's forte).
1.) Transformers :Revenge of the Fallen


Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 pm
Profile YIM
Director
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 1563
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Vexer wrote:
So Jeff, what's your excuse for seeing Bio-Dome? Was that like a dare or something?


Good question. I was with a friend, It was a Saturday night at Blockbuster and almost everything else was rented out. I was about ready to say screw it and go home. But my friend insisted. I tried to talk them out of it. Later on, they regretted not listening to me.

_________________
This ain't a city council meeting you know-Joe Cabot

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599


Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:20 pm
Profile
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Vexer wrote:
So Jeff, what's your excuse for seeing Bio-Dome? Was that like a dare or something?


Good question. I was with a friend, It was a Saturday night at Blockbuster and almost everything else was rented out. I was about ready to say screw it and go home. But my friend insisted. I tried to talk them out of it. Later on, they regretted not listening to me.

Oh I see, I actually like watching movies on IMDB's bottom 100 list out of curiosity, crazy it sounds I actually like some of those films better then some of the ones on the top 250 list(for example i'd MUCH rather watch an Uwe Boll film then Titanic)

I went back through this thread and someone mentioned David Lynch's films and I have to concur, his films just irritate the hell out of me and I don't really get his appeal(though I did love the lesbian sex scene in Mullohand Drive, too bad the rest of the film wasn't much good) I also hate ANYTHING with M Night Shyamalan's name on it, how ANYONE EVER thought he was talented is beyond me, i honestly believe Uwe Boll is a better director then Shyamalan, Boll's films may be ineptly made and very stupid for the most but at least they're fun! Shyamalan's films are just painful to sit through. But the one film I truly hate more then any other film in existence is I Heart Huckabees, I was truly shocked at how far David O Russell had fallen after the excellent Three Kings, Huckabees is a pretentious piece of shit that's terrible on every single level, the characters are quirky in a way that's supposed to make thme likeable and endearing but it instead makes them incredibly irritating and unlikeable, which makes the entire cast look terrible(except for Hoffman, who acts like he's on drugs for the whole film) the film only gets worse as it goes along, but it hits the absolute nadir with that incredibly stupid existentialism bullshit, I doubt there is or ever will be another film that's even close to the sheer magnitude of suckage that is Huckabees.


Last edited by Vexer on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:42 pm
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
I can't lie. Some of those bottom movies are indeed more entertaining than some of the top ones.


Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:05 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr