Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Worst 5 movies of all time 
Post Worst 5 movies of all time
Hello all,

You knew someone was going to start this list. I think that it would be better if we listed films that are in the "So bad its Bad" category. The classic bad films like those of the Ed Wood variety are givens. I think it would be more entertaining to list movies that could have been successful but crashed and burned on every turn... or just a movie that makes your stomach turn...
here are my least favorites...

5. The Happening (Shyamalan, there is no excuse)
4. The Cat in the Hat(You know a movies bad when the widow of Dr. Seuss disallows another live-action Dr. Seuss Story)
3. Catwoman (Not even a half-nude Halle Berry could save this Feature length music video rip-off)
2. Battlefield Earth (It's amazing how epically this movie failed in every aspect.. The fact that ANYONE in this movie continued a career after participating in this film bewilders me) Damn you John Travolta! :o
1.Bug (I entered this film with the highest of expectations... When I walked out I felt that someone had taken my mind, stomach, and anything else important to me and my well-being through a car wash that used human filth as detergent and all the above movies as wax... I will never see this movie again, and will publicly tell it to everyone that it is the worst I have ever seen.) :evil:

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:31 pm
Post Re: Worst 5 movies of all time
ok, here's the list I have on my website, but I'm sure I'll be able to think more eventually:

1. House of the Dead - laughable, horribly shot, vomit-inducing performances, and an awful soundtrack
2. Alone in the Dark - simply bad, bad, bad and bad.
3. Son of the Mask - an insult to the original film, one of my favorite childhood films.
4. Epic Movie - a funeral is funnier than this movie.
5. Mortal Kombat 2 - worst action film I've ever seen.
6. Showgirls - simply insulting.
7. Battlefield Earth - like you said, fails in every aspect.
8. Bloodrayne - still don't get why Ben Kingslet likes to appear in awful films.
9. Ultraviolet - this movie right here bewildered me. looks like a BAD SNES videogame.
10. Batman and Robin - just ridiculous.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:37 pm
You wusses, you haven't known pain until you seen these:

-Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
-Captivity
-Adrenalin: Fear the Rush
-Alone in the Dark(so Sebastian somewhat knows pain)
-The Pest

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:42 pm
Patrick wrote:

you forget I've also seen Mortal Kombat Annhiliation... although if you say the rest of those films provide with real pain, I don't plan to watch them never in my life, hehe.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:49 pm
I didn't see it cause you had a 2 instead of Annihilation. As for Captivity, I think South America got a different cut of it so I'm think you might be in less pain than I was when I saw it.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:53 pm
Patrick wrote:
I didn't see it cause you had a 2 instead of Annihilation. As for Captivity, I think South America got a different cut of it so I'm think you might be in less pain than I was when I saw it.

yeah, I remember it was released in here last year, although unlike the Saw movies, it lasted in theatres for like one week and was quickly replaced by new releases.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:56 pm
Patrick wrote:
You wusses, you haven't known pain until you seen these:

-Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
-Captivity
-Adrenalin: Fear the Rush
-The Pest

LOL I totally agree with this list... For me I find that a good film in the horror genre is definitely an exception to the rule and therefore rarely watch them. All of these movies were definitely on my mind when making the list. I just listed films that I was excited or interested to see only to be sucker-punched while viewing them.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:56 pm
There's a lot of really terrible movies out there. Thankfully I haven't seen a lot off of these lists (except Bloodrayne which was awful, yes).
The movies I really like the least are usually movies I have a little more hope for than a Uwe Boll movie, but end up despising for some reason. Some examples:
Chocolat - I hate hate hate this movie. I hate its preachiness and what it tries to preach. I hate Juliette Binoche in it even though I love her in everything else.
Shrek 2 - A sad retread of the first movie, which substituted pop-culture references instead of clever and humorous references like the first one. It suffered from the Family Guy syndrome (which I also hate) where you forget to make jokes and instead just cue the audience to laugh by making a pop-culture reference.
Star Wars Episode I - Not a terrible movie overall, but it ruined my life at a time when I was an enormous Star Wars geek (maybe this was for the better, I don't know).

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm
Trevor wrote:
Shrek 2 - A sad retread of the first movie, which substituted pop-culture references instead of clever and humorous references like the first one. It suffered from the Family Guy syndrome (which I also hate) where you forget to make jokes and instead just cue the audience to laugh by making a pop-culture reference.
Star Wars Episode I - Not a terrible movie overall, but it ruined my life at a time when I was an enormous Star Wars geek (maybe this was for the better, I don't know).

and what about Shrek the Third? that's quite possibly the worst animated sequel I've ever seen, definitely much worse than the second part. regarding Episode I, I was lucky enough to be 9 years old when it was released in theatres, so I don't remember my immediate reaction, if I was disappointed or not, if George Lucas "raped my childhood" (you have no idea of how badly I hate that term) or not. maybe that's why I'm softer with the prequel trilogy than the average SW fan...

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:06 pm
Sebastian wrote:
Trevor wrote:

and what about Shrek the Third? that's quite possibly the worst animated sequel I've ever seen, definitely much worse than the second part. regarding Episode I, I was lucky enough to be 9 years old when it was released in theatres, so I don't remember my immediate reaction, if I was disappointed or not, if George Lucas "raped my childhood" (you have no idea of how badly I hate that term) or not. maybe that's why I'm softer with the prequel trilogy than the average SW fan...

After Shrek 2, I managed to avoid anything else Shrek-related in the future, thankfully.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:08 pm
then you're lucky, because since I actually liked Shrek 2 and disliked Shrek the Third, I can't image what your reaction to the second sequel would have been.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:10 pm
Wow, I guess I'm the only here that actually liked the Shrek sequels, even liking the second one more than the first.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:10 pm
Patrick wrote:
Wow, I guess I'm the only here that actually liked the Shrek sequels, even liking the second one more than the first.

I have to agree with Patrick and Sebastian... About Shrek 2. I enjoyed the second more than the first, but I detested the third one. I found it to be unwatchable. I felt the first one set a great premise but Shrek 2 executed it just the right way for me.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:15 pm
5. Manos, The Hands of Fate
4. Date Movie
3. Epic Movie
2. Meet the Spartans
1. Disaster Movie.

I think I won.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:35 pm
I really don't know if I have a top 5. I tend to avoid movies if I think I'll hate them. So most of the movies I watch I do enjoy. With exceptions of course. So here are a few that I thought were terrible:

The Lost World - Why, Spielberg, why?
Runaway Bride - My then-girlfriend (now wife) dragged me to the theater to see this tripe. The fact that I didn't break up with her right then speaks highly of me (I'm not egotistical, just a smartass)
Hide and Seek - Why, De Niro, why?

If I think of anymore I'll post them.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:21 pm
Along came polly (the only upside was it helped me start dating my wife)
Medicine Man (I know a lot of people like this one, but not even sleep could save me!)

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:45 pm
The Love Guru is the most recent really terrible movie I saw. I love hockey and I used to like Mike Myers so I thought I'd give it a shot. Very very bad idea.

My friend that I saw it with and I have an agreement that if either of us mention or allude to this movie in any way, the other person has to slap them.
He's not here right now, so I'll just slap myself.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:52 pm
As much as you could be objective for best film, I could say similar things for worst film candidates. I CAN give you a list of films that I disliked immensely.

5. Art School Confidential - Where did Zwigoff go wrong? A pretentious horror.
4. Saving Silverman - An appallingly repetitive film; mean-spirited comedy can still have substance underneath the nastiness.
3. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back - A film bustling with good ideas, but shot and plotted in a way that constantly undermine or ignore the story's better aspects. Extremely frustrating.
2. 27 Dresses - My ex-girlfriend showed me this gem. I could imagine every single plot development; she and her friend were resolutely clueless and enamored. Tell me this isn't a gender thing...
1. Irreversible - Unlike 'Audition' or 'Requiem For A Dream' (which is, nevertheless, boring in the first half), this film has only shocks with little to no substance. The tagline: 'Time destroys everything.' Um, what drama doesn't argue this? 'The Deer Hunter'? 'The Sweet Hereafter'? '21 Grams'? This is basic dramatic plotting, not great philosophy, and Gaspar Noe definitely left the more promising plateau of 'I Stand Alone' behind long ago.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 pm
Raymong wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I have to agree with Patrick and Sebastian... About Shrek 2. I enjoyed the second more than the first, but I detested the third one. I found it to be unwatchable. I felt the first one set a great premise but Shrek 2 executed it just the right way for me.

I'm in full agreement here. The third movie will always remain one of my greatest disappointments in cinema, mostly because I dragged someone to it. I went out of that theater with my palm squarely on my face.

As for worse movies, ANYTHING by the Epic Movie/Disaster Movie/Spartans guys. Anything. Thankfully, it seems Disaster Movie did them in according to IMDB. Let's just pray that's the truth.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:08 pm
Freddy Got Fingered
Baby Geniuses
House of the Dead

I try my best to avoid crap, so coming up with a top five is borderline impossible for me. There are a ton of bad movies out there that I know are bad, and so I avoid them. In the golden age of Rotten Tomatoes, I'm probably not going to see anything that's rated too poorly. I wasn't as adept at wading through garbage when I was younger, though. The aforementioned exceptions have stuck with me for the latter half of my teenage life. Freddy Got Fingered is tasteless, Baby Geniuses is stupid, and House of the Dead is preposterous. I generally respect anything that takes advantage of the medium of film, and these three simply ridicule it.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:19 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next