Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes 
Post Re: Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
90. "You know how I know you're gay?"

Why it's great

Much of the dialogue in The 40-Year-Old Virgin was improvised, as was the case with this scene. But this is an example of how shooting from the hip and improvisation can result in something pretty funny. There's several different versions of this scene. However, I've included the best one below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkiIIk0ygks

I love pretty much everything about this movie, including the line you've quoted and the scene it comes from. However, if I was to make my own personal top 100 quotes, I'd take a different line from this one. My favorite part has always been when Carrel says, "I'm a virgin. I always have been." It never ceases to make me giggle at both it's hilarity and cleverness. There's always that "come clean" moment in romantic comedies when whatever miscommunication has complicated the romance is finally revealed, and I think that particular line does a great job of making fun of those moments while also being a pretty sweet moment itself.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:13 pm
Director

89. "Well they can't all be winners, can they?"

Why it's great

It's Billy Bob Thornton at his curmudgeonly best. Bad Santa was one of his best roles, and it is without a doubt one of the funniest films of the past decade. Picking one line from this film was tough, because there are so many funny lines, but this is one I've actually used in my day-to-day life...so it makes the cut.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ht4Ei3pdR8&feature=feedlik

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 am
PeachyPete wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

Why it's great

Much of the dialogue in The 40-Year-Old Virgin was improvised, as was the case with this scene. But this is an example of how shooting from the hip and improvisation can result in something pretty funny. There's several different versions of this scene. However, I've included the best one below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkiIIk0ygks

I love pretty much everything about this movie, including the line you've quoted and the scene it comes from. However, if I was to make my own personal top 100 quotes, I'd take a different line from this one. My favorite part has always been when Carrel says, "I'm a virgin. I always have been." It never ceases to make me giggle at both it's hilarity and cleverness. There's always that "come clean" moment in romantic comedies when whatever miscommunication has complicated the romance is finally revealed, and I think that particular line does a great job of making fun of those moments while also being a pretty sweet moment itself.

I'll have to be "that guy" and say I actually disagree strongly with this inclusion. I love the movie and find it very quotable. However, the whole "You know how I know" exchange gets tired really quickly. I much prefer stuff like "I always thought of Matt Damon as more of a Streisand..." or "If I hear Yamo Be There one more time..."

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:09 pm
Director

88. "If they hadn't have done what I told 'em not to do, they'd still be alive."

Why it's great

Reservoir Dogs was the first taste of the snap-crack kind of writing we'd get from Quentin Tarantino that he'd perfect with Pulp Fiction, and continue with ambitious scripts like Jackie Brown and Inglourious Basterds. In all of his work he's written clever, memorable characters, and Mr. Blonde was one of those. This line really sums up his character in a quick, succinct way.

I couldn't find the scene on Youtube, but the line is in the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvoKT481EmU

And, an even better version of the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hj5vOIrTEs

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Reservoir Dogs was the first taste of the snap-crack kind of writing we'd get from Quentin Tarantino that he'd perfect with Pulp Fiction, and continue with ambitious scripts like Jackie Brown and Inglourious Basterds. In all of his work he's written clever, memorable characters, and Mr. Blonde was one of those. This line really sums up his character in a quick, succinct way.

Something from this one had to be included somewhere, right? It's the coolest "cool" movie of my lifetime and one that never gets old. I like the inclusion at 88 and am anxious to see where, if at all, some other QT lines rank.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Sexual, I'm definitely checking your list out. None of the quotes so far have made me jump out of my seat and say, "GREAT CHOICE, MAN," but I'd be hard pressed to disagree with anything you've put forward thus far. Keep it up!

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:26 pm
Director

87. "This fucker's gone completely nuts."

Why it's great

Cannibal! The Musical was Trey Parker and Matt Stone's first film, and you can see they were destined for greatness just by watching it. Cannibal! is irreverent, funny, and full of zany zingers. I chose one that I could find a clip of (and the clip itself is really funny), but I'll give a sampling of some of my other favorite lines from the film:

"Hey, you're cutting into his butt!"
"Well what sort of meat do you want?"
"Not butt!"

"Fudge, Packer?"

"Oh gosh, I never thought I'd be sleeping next to a naked man on this trip."

Point is, Cannibal is worth a look if you haven't seen it. It's rough around the edges, but it showcases Parker and Stone's early comic potential, and holds up really well.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ1ZOFNBL68

Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 pm
Director

86. "You know how I stayed alive this long, all these years? Fear."

Why it's great

Bill the Butcher's speech in the middle of Gangs of New York may be the most perfect description of America's ruling class ever uttered on film. Consider the things and people we've been told to fear over the decades: the Irish, the Jews, the Russians, the blacks, the Muslims, Mexicans, terrorism, that person who might be stalking us as we walk to our car...

Fear works. It sells products, enables corruption, and makes usually rational people behave irrationally. Bill the Butcher understood that and I'm sure Martin Scorsese does too. This is a powerful scene that works on many levels, within the film and apart from it.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY2tbeP_K1M

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:51 pm
Director

85. "Fuck you, asshole."

Why it's great

I'll admit that I got a bit of a laugh the first time I saw this scene, and it stuck with me ever since. These days, James Cameron's films are mostly humorless affairs; he's become so convinced of his own greatness to the point where his ego outweighs his actual talent. But it wasn't that way with The Terminator. The Terminator was lean and mean, with this bit of levity thrown in.

As a side note, I'll add this anecdote about The Terminator: Cameron cribbed some of the ideas for the film from short stories by Harlan Ellison. When Ellison decided he wanted a bit of credit for it, Cameron referred to him as "a parasite who can kiss my ass." This is just one of the reasons why I have rather little respect for James Cameron, especially considering that Harlan Ellison is an immeasurably more talented writer.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeV-DI09Q3w&feature=fvst

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:26 am
Producer

John D. Hackensacker III: "That's one of the tragedies of this life - that the men who are most in need of a beating up are always enormous." (The Palm Beach Story)

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm
Director

Syd Henderson wrote:
John D. Hackensacker III: "That's one of the tragedies of this life - that the men who are most in need of a beating up are always enormous." (The Palm Beach Story)

That's a great quote.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 pm
Director

84. "This way, ya stupid honkey!"

Why it's great

Everything about Return of the Living Dead works. It's humor is just right, its scares are genuine, its soundtrack (featuring 45 Grave, The Cramps, The Damned and Roky Erickson) is killer, and Linnea Quigley is naked. This line never fails to crack me up; I suppose that any time someone gets called a honkey, it's funny...but in the context of a zombie invasion, it's just awesome.

Watch here, around the 4 minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZ3k0YCOAU&feature=related

Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:50 am
Director

83. "That's entertainment."

Why it's great

The way Scorsese designs this scene is perfect. He shows Jake La Motta already in his decline before any of the main events of the film, and while I generally don't care for flashbacks, in this case it serves to make the lead character less sympathetic, which was precisely Scorsese's intent. Of course, De Niro's performance is masterful; there's little I can say about it that hasn't been said already. But then again, all of us should be familiar with Raging Bull.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuoiAt_k-CE

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:32 pm
Director

82. "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

Why it's great

Is it any wonder The King of Comedy flopped upon first release? It was a great film, but too far ahead of its time. Now, though, De Niro's deranged Rupert Pupkin looks like a normal representation of today's celebrity culture. If that seems a little far-fetched, I'd challenge anyone to examine the life of Kate Gosselin, who has most likely irreversibly fucked up her eight kids just so she could have a taste of the good life. Or, does anyone remember the balloon boy hoax? When placed in that context, The King of Comedy is a film that continues to be timely and important.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63UwqxX9_1M

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:47 pm
Director

81. Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

Why it's great

Test audiences reacted in horror to the ending of Seven, so the studio tacked on this voice-over from Morgan Freeman at the end to try and "soften the blow." As a means of easing the darkness in the film, it is a complete failure.

Throughout the film, Somerset and Mills have shared banter about the differences between lightness and darkness in the world. Mills, the young cop, believes in the good nature of people, and that despite the daily horrors he is exposed to on the job, people are still capable of kindness, generosity, and good deeds in general. Somerset is hardened, and thinks people are more animalistic, and it is our nature resort to viciousness, evil and vile acts. But there are glimmers of light in Somerset's personality; Mills brings them out, and it is this yin and yang that makes the pairing of Pitt and Freeman in this film one of the best ever, and it makes the ending all that more devastating.

Which brings me to the last line. The studio's intentions here failed because the quote only confirms everything Somerset had previously believed, only now we know that his faith in the goodness of humanity is completely gone, and not coming back. At the end of Seven, everyone is a victim in one way or another.

As an unrelated note, Seven was released in 1995, and it is miles better than any of the Best Picture nominees that year. Of course it had no chance of being nominated; anything this dark is way too much for the ultra-conservative Academy.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xG5hSOMGn0

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:37 pm
I still say Copycat was a much better film and should've been nominated that year.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:45 pm
Director

80. "Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

Why it's great

I can understand why many people dislike Napoleon Dynamite. Its deadpan sense of humor isn't for everyone, and none of the characters in the film are likeable in a conventional sense. But the film does have a lot of goofy quotes, and this is one of my favorites. It's one of the ultimate geek lines, and that makes it worthy of a mention.

On a side note, when I was a college film critic, I was the first to write anything in any school publication about Napoleon Dynamite...before any of the alternative publications did, I wrote the first little blurb about the film, and gave it a modestly positive write-up. By the end of the semester, every other person was wearing Vote For Pedro t-shirts. I'm kind of proud that I'm the one who broke it, at least on campus.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3lUQ3vWB4k&feature=feedlik

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:25 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

My favorite part has always been when Carrel says, "I'm a virgin. I always have been." It never ceases to make me giggle at both it's hilarity and cleverness.

I much prefer stuff like "I always thought of Matt Damon as more of a Streisand..." or "If I hear Yamo Be There one more time..."

The movie is too hilariously quotable. I just had to include one of my favorites with you guys.

Trish goes something like, "I mean, my God, you ride a bicycle to work in a stockroom."
Andy goes, "And I ride a bike because I like to. Einstein rode a bike."
She responds, "He had a wife who he fucked, by the way."

I just love it too much.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:02 pm
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I have to admit that this is a line a hate passionately from The 40 Year Old Virgin. Not only is it annoyingly repeated to point of tedium, but it also evokes annoying gay stereotypes. Just saying. Otherwise, nice list so far.
-Jeremy

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 pm
thered47 wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:

I have to admit that this is a line a hate passionately from The 40 Year Old Virgin. Not only is it annoyingly repeated to point of tedium, but it also evokes annoying gay stereotypes. Just saying.

Give me a break. If anything, the movie trivialized the use of homophobic language with that phrase's inclusion - presenting homophobic logic as immature and brash. I hate how almost everything in America needs to either be sterilized or left on the cutting room floor just because some liberal white guy somewhere thinks it's offensive to a minority or put-upon demographic. I've never heard anyone complain about this phrase when speaking of 'The 40 Year Old Virgin', and I lived in the heart of the Metropolitan area for decades. Just because someone makes a joke about the homosexual lifestyle or uses the word 'gay' in a humorous subtext, does not mean they hate gays or fear becoming one. In fact, it's usually the opposite - people who oppose homosexuality are usually rather serious and militant about it. Sorry, but if you find the use of the word 'gay' funny, you're no worse or better than someone who found seasons 1 & 2 of 'Wonder Showzen' (which pretty much satirizes everything that can be satirized) to be the funniest thing since tickling. In the words of Joe Rogan - 'Everything is funny. Fuck you.'

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:33 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next