Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes 
Director

Post Re: Sexual Chocolate presents: 100 years, 100 quotes
52. "Oh no! I've got AIDS, I've got AIDS, I've got AIDS, I've got AIDS!"

This is hands down the most tasteless line you'll find on the whole list. Another stroke of brilliance from the mind of Lloyd Kaufman, this one comes from his favorite (but least successful) film.

The background: A plane crashes onto an island, and our heroes discover some nefarious goings-on (Kaufman predated Lost by nearly two decades). The villains plot to spread AIDS throughout America, and during the film, one of our heroes is raped by Senor Sida. Afterward, she jumps up and shouts, "Oh no, I've got AIDS, I've got AIDS, I've got AIDS!"

It's a scene that is all at once horrific, disgusting, tasteless, and hysterical. And for about two weeks after I saw Troma's War, every time my fiancee (now my wife) would touch me, I'd jump up and go "Oh no, I've got AIDS, I've got AIDS, I've got AIDS!" Needless to say, she was not amused.

I couldn't find a clip of this scene, but even better, the whole film is available on Hulu:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdm9yi_troma-s-war-troma-s-war_shortfilms

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:34 pm
Director

51. "Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus. Just like me."

It's a Schwarzenegger film, and Arnold has some great lines in this, such as "You are one ugly motherfucker," "If it bleeds, we can kill it," and "Stick around." But the true classic one-liners belong to Jesse Ventura. He delivers this, and the hilarious "I ain't got time to bleed." It's one of the few times that anyone has ever out-Schwarzeneggered Schwarzenegger.

Predator is a film that got a negative critical reception upon release, but has been seen more favorably over the years. I've always liked its combination of sci-fi and thrills.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijy8fpdI5c

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 pm
Director

50. "You get to drink from the FIRE HOSE!!!!"

Now that my computer is back up and running, I can get back to the list, and we hit the top 50 with a classic line from UHF. There's plenty of great lines in this movie, such as Gedde Watanabe's "Supplies!" (oh, the days when you could put offensive Asian stereotypes in movies and not have to worry about anything), so choosing just one was tough.

Michael Richards (pre-Kramer) played a big part in this movie, and he was wacky, zany, and all sorts of goofy fun. Later, it would turn out that he had a hidden racist streak, but that was later. Back then he was Stanley Spudowski, and we loved him. UHF is still one of my favorite guilty pleasure comedies after all these years.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXc5ltzKq3Y&feature=related

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:46 pm
Pardon my ignorance but was "drinking from the fire hose" already considered an idiom prior to UHF or did the film popularise the phrase?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:50 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but was "drinking from the fire hose" already considered an idiom prior to UHF or did the film popularise the phrase?

I do not know. The first time I recall hearing it was in UHF.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:58 pm
Director

49. "Come on, Cohagen. You got what you want. Give these people air!"

Total Recall, after all these years, remains a favorite sci-fi film of mine. However, there's not a lot of quotable Schwarzenegger to be found in it. You've got a few classic lines, such as "See you at the party, Richter" and "Consider that a divorce," but on the whole, I've found the quotable Arnold to be lacking.

However, my friends and myself always considered this the best line from the whole film. I don't know why now and I didn't then; it just always stuck in my mind for some reason.

On a related note, why are they remaking this movie?

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5x9HXwlkBo

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:43 pm
Director

48. "Shut up and sit down you big bald fuck."

I'm not a big fan of Guy Ritchie's work. In my opinion, he's only made one really solid film (Snatch), and the rest have ranged from passable (Sherlock Holmes) to meh (Revolver) to downright atrocious (Swept Away). But this line is awesome. Is this not the greatest instance of someone telling another person to shut up in a movie scene ever?

You decide, watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhls6kF0YyA

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:05 pm
Have you seen Lock, Stock? Many folks think it the same movie as Snatch, only better. I disagree. The two are similar, but Snatch is much cooler. That line is a great example of why.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:06 pm
Director

ed_metal_head wrote:
Have you seen Lock, Stock?

I might have a while back, but I really can't remember. I'd need to watch it from the beginning either way.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:18 am
Director

47. "Oh, come on, there's always room for Jello."

I'm convinced that the only reason why the two Ghostbusters movies have any real humorous value is because of Bill Murray's impeccable timing. I can't think of many actors who are as good with a quip or a one-liner as he is. On top of that, his deadpan delivery is brilliant. Which is to say that I think Murray doesn't get enough respect as an actor; comedy is hard work, but he makes it look pretty easy.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqGnJzPeXFE

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:38 pm
Assistant Director

WHAT'D YOU DO?

This scene is classic. Director Peter Berg builds up the anticipation almost like a director would in a slasher movie. You can sense that something really funny is about to happen. Then finally, it does, and it zeroes in on Chris Farley, who nails the line with a hilarious reaction shot. One of the funniest scenes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJsbmQsq68w

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Director

46. "If that's the way you feel, then forget it Vic, just forget it. But I think you're really out of line."

I'll level with you: Friday the 13th Part 5 is a terrible movie. But it is notable for two things: First, Debi Sue Voorhees' nude scene, because she has the best rack in the history of the movies. And second is this line, which leads to the most hilarious axe murder ever filmed.

There's no really good video of this scene on Youtube :( so I'll give a brief summary. An awkward fat kid goes and bothers an obviously crazy dude chopping up wood with an axe. The crazy dude indicates he doesn't want to be bothered. The fat kid tries to be nice, and gives the crazy dude a chocolate bar, which the crazy dude promptly chops in half, leading to the line above. Then the crazy dude applies his wood-cutting skills to the fat kid's skull.

If anybody has a video of this scene, by all means post it. It would be great.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:22 pm
I actually kinda liked part 5, I felt it was an improvement over The Final Chapter, which I found a bit dissapointing.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:19 pm
Director

45. "She's got a GREAT ASS!!! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

I think what makes this scene such a hoot is that it's obvious that Pacino almost says "big ass" instead of "great ass." But Mann left the scene as it was, and it works well. I like Heat; I always thought it was a pretty good movie. A shame that Pacino and De Niro didn't get much screen time together.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlXpX3o3W2Q

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:35 am
:lol: Love, love, love that scene. Pacino is so ridiculously over the top that it completely works.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:32 am
Director

44. Gordon Gekko's other monologue.

Wall Street is probably best remembered for Michael Douglas's famous "Greed is good" monologue, and it's a good monologue, effectively capturing the "me first" culture of excess that was the 1980s. However, while that monologue was good, his second monologue was timeless, capturing all of the themes of American corporatism, and being just as relevant today as it was then. I'll paste it below; it deserves to be read.

Quote:

"The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bullshit. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it."

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:51 pm
Director

43. This house is a fucking prison! On planet BULLSHIT!! In the galaxy of this sucks camel dick!"

I really, really liked Step Brothers. It's one of those films that I love to pop in as a fun time-waster. There's all kinds of funny quotable lines in the film, and it all springs from the fact that the entire situation is so ridiculous; the film's sense of humor starts at juvenile, descends to infantile, and only sinks lower from there. I wouldn't have it any other way.

This film is a great showcase for two things: First, it shows how funny Will Ferrell can be when given the right material. Second, it shows John C. Reilly's significant comedic talents. He's made a significant mark as a guy who can effortlessly play "everyman" roles, but he's a very well-rounded actor, and he's hilarious in Step Brothers.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMnnI1DcMfk&feature=fvwrel

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:07 pm
Assistant Director

Who taught you math?

Why it's great: Kilmer's delivery. Watch the trailer and see what I mean.

Mighty Mike's Raging Reviews

http://mightymikesragingreviews.blogspot.com/

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Director

42. "Hey, Josephus!"..."Hey, motherfucker!"

This is one of the single most clever jokes Mel Brooks ever put in one of his films. The first time I heard it, I couldn't stop laughing. My friends didn't understand what I thought was so funny. I told them that you either get the joke, or you don't. So in keeping with Brooks' cleverness, I won't explain the joke here. You either get it or you don't.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0quUM-Nr2c

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:24 pm
Director

41. "Yeah, but you know, I'm really wired. What do you say I take you home and eat your pussy?"

All right, you knew it had to show up somewhere. If I have to explain why this line is so awesome, you really don't belong on this forum.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1XOfHax6Q8

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next