Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:01 am

The New Jersey Trilogy 
Post The New Jersey Trilogy
My wife and I watched Chasing Amy last night for the first time in years and it got me thinking about the first time I ever watched a Kevin Smith movie, which was Mallrats and how my friends and I loved it, but then hated Clerks when we went back and rented it the same night. My opinion on the latter has since changed, as I even love the short-lived animated series, but Mallrats remains my favorite Kevin Smith movie. Of the six films in this "trilogy," I'd probably rate them thusly:

Mallrats
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Chasing Amy
Clerks
Dogmas
Clerks 2

How about you?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:42 pm
Post Re: The New Jersey Sextet (If ya wanna be technical)
Kevin Smith was one of the first filmmakers I seriously got into about a decade ago; him and Tarantino. My preferences in order would probably be:

Chasing Amy: ***1/2 (out of) ****
Clerks: ***1/2 (out of) ****
Clerks 2: *** (out of) ****
Dogma: *** (out of) ****
Mallrats: *** (out of) ****
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: **1/2 (out of) **** (maybe a weak ***)

Last edited by oafolay on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:16 pm
Post Re: The New Jersey Trilogy
Clerks - 10/10
Dogma - 10/10
Chasing amy - 9/10
Clerks 2 - 9/10
Jay and Silent bob - 6/10
Mallrats 5/10

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:09 pm
My opinion of him has become somewhat jaundiced in recent years. Clerks is and always has been my favorite Smith movie, but I don't like it nearly as much as I used to. I mainly appreciate it for its low budget scrappiness more than anything else. Most of his other stuff is mediocre.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:05 am
Looks like i'm the odd man out here, Clerks was always my least favorite Smith film, Dogma being my favorite.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:07 am
EinShane wrote:
My wife and I watched Chasing Amy last night for the first time in years and it got me thinking about the first time I ever watched a Kevin Smith movie, which was Mallrats and how my friends and I loved it, but then hated Clerks when we went back and rented it the same night. My opinion on the latter has since changed, as I even love the short-lived animated series, but Mallrats remains my favorite Kevin Smith movie. Of the six films in this "trilogy," I'd probably rate them thusly:

Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Clerks
Dogmas
Clerks 2

How about you?

Dogmas? Seriously. That's a crazy typo by me. Did any of you ever watch the animated series?

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:52 am
EinShane wrote:
EinShane wrote:

Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Clerks
Dogmas
Clerks 2

How about you?

Dogmas? Seriously. That's a crazy typo by me. Did any of you ever watch the animated series?

The animated series had moments of brilliance and one amazing episode with Dante on trial but that was about it.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:00 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
Looks like i'm the odd man out here, Clerks was always my least favorite Smith film, Dogma being my favorite.

Dogma's also my favorite followed closely by Clerks.

Dogma ****
Clerks ****
Chasing Amy ****
Clerks 2 ***1/2
Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back ***
Mallrats ***

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:46 pm
Since Kevin Smith hasn't made three good movies this should be easy... unless, of course, it turns out there is fierce competition for the bottom three slots. What will it be?! The excitement mounts! And mounts! And MOUNTAINEERS!

1. Clerks ***
2. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back ***
3. Dogma **1/2
4. Clerks 2 **
5. Chasing Amy *1/2
6. Mallrats *

Ah, what a career! He could be this generation's Fred Olen Ray.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:17 pm
'Clerks', easily. It'd the film he staked his reputation on, and since has seemed to lose all interest in ever approaching his debut's level of quality again, I'm going to pencil it in as the film he will be remembered for. Of the rest of his films, I would give the second place nod to 'Chasing Amy', although it's not a close finish.

My overall opinion of Smith is that he is essentially a one-hit wonder - he has made films that sporadically approach the quality of 'Clerks' since its release, but no other film of his is anywhere near as memorable from start to finish. After all, it is the film which he cannibalizes the most for new material - bar none.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:27 pm
I'm not really a fan of his stuff. It used to be cool to throw a Smith film on in the dorm room when I was in college. He burst onto the scene with "Clerks", but everything else has been pretty disappointing. I used to give him credit for being anti the Hollywood establishment and not selling out after his early success, but then he made "Jersey Girl". If he never made another film, I probably wouldn't care either way.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:52 am