Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:23 am

Best Stephen King Movies 
Post Best Stephen King Movies
This guy's had a lot of his work thrown up on the the big (and small) screen, so we have a pretty good-size body of work to talk about. Personally, I'm going with these (I'm sure there will be agreements):

Stand by Me
Misery
Carrie
Christine
The Dead Zone
The Shawshank Redemption

I'll add two more here, which I base on more specific merits, although they may not be the greatest films:

Pet Sematary - Actually a pretty scary movie, even scarier if you have kids.

The Dark Half - I would say the most faithful adaptation of any of his books.

Your turn.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:26 pm
Post Re: Best Stephen King Movies
Stand by Me
Shawshank
Green Mile
Shining
The Running Man if only to hear the most puntastic movie of Arnold's career

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 pm
erm....

The Mist

Rob

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm
Patrick wrote:
Stand by Me
Shawshank
Green Mile
Shining

Arnie in The Running Man is the stuff legends are made of. The one-liners in that movie are priceless.

Aside from The Running Man, I'd say Shawshank, The Green Mile, The Shining, Misery, and Stand By Me.

He has a lot of decent movies too, but I'd say those are the best. I loved the book 'It', but the movie/miniseries (can't remember, but I think it was a miniseries) was a huge disappointment.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 pm
The Shining is my favorite King book made into a movie. Stand By Me would be second.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:51 pm
Stand By Me
The Mist
Carrie
Misery

His books are hard to adapt as the many mediocre attempts have shown over the years. These four are my favorites.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:52 pm
Hmm, I'll throw this out to the topic creator....best actual film or best translation into a film?

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:31 pm
Patrick wrote:
Stand by Me
Shawshank
Green Mile
Shining

Agreed, but I would probably add 1408.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:25 pm
ADayintheLife1979 wrote:
Hmm, I'll throw this out to the topic creator....best actual film or best translation into a film?

I was meaning best actual film...and of course this is all subjective. Stand by Me tops my list because I was the same age as the characters and my group of buddies was very similar. Aside from the fond memories, I think this film won't ever age and probably because it's already set in the past.

I give due credit to Shawshank, but it never struck me like Stand by Me did.

And I still think The Dark Half is the best translation from word to screen, with The Stand miniseries being a very close second.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:28 am
Is it too soon to hope the JJ Abrams helmed Dark Tower is a top this list in two years?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:58 pm
stiefmo wrote:
Is it too soon to hope the JJ Abrams helmed Dark Tower is a top this list in two years?

Probably, in about 100 years it'll still be too soon. I think this is the exact definition of unfilmable

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:37 pm
stiefmo wrote:

I'm skeptical on whether or not this can be pulled off. Looking at the Harry Potter series, it's easier to see the progression. With the Dark Tower, there are major tone shifts, specifically between I and II, II and III, and IV is such an anomaly in the series. I'm hoping that some of these transitions will be smoothed out because the journey is so fantastic.

I also wonder if the many ties to King's other works will be retained. I know that for people who have not read the series, King's book Insomnia plays a fairly significant part in the least few books, but you would have read the book in order to understand the tie.

I'm sure large amounts of material will be clipped, but, like Harry Potter fans, I will be sad to see it omitted.

I am looking forward to this if it actually does get made.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:39 pm
The best actual film based on a work by Stephen King is The Shining.

Best adaptations of his work, however, are something else...films that don't stray too far from the source material but are also great films. These include the following:

Dolores Claiborne
Misery
The Shawshank Redemption
The Dead Zone
The Mist (save for the ending, but the film extends it nicely)

Personally, I'm looking forward to some adaptation of Cell.

Erik

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:52 pm
What? No love for the King directed Maximum Overdrive? ;)

My pick

Christine
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
Misery
Stand By Me
Carrie
Salem's Lot (TV - the one with David Soul in it!)
Firestarter
Silver Bullet

Slightly off topic, my fave S.K. books
Dark Tower series
Salem's Lot
The Stand
The Shining (not keen on the film)
Christine
It
Tommy Knockers
Night Shift

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:11 pm
Director

Misery
Carrie
The Shining
The Running Man
The Dead Zone

and of course

Shawshank

I didn't think Apt Pupil was that bad at all.

On the other hand the less said about Christine, Cujo and Needful Things the better.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:24 pm
Jeff Wilder wrote:
On the other hand the less said about Christine, Cujo and Needful Things the better.

:ugeek: I like Christine, one of John Carpenter's underrated movies, a total hoot!

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 pm
Stand by Me is one of the definitions of overrated; not bad but not very good either.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:28 pm
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Misery
Carrie
The Shining
The Running Man
The Dead Zone

and of course

Shawshank

I didn't think Apt Pupil was that bad at all.

Jeff,

I saw Dead Zone when it came out and really liked it. Genuinely exciting.

Great pick, I'd forgotten that one

Rob

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:17 am
I'm not an avid Stephen King reader and I don't particularly care about how faithfully his material weathers the transition from book to film.

The only film based on his work that I consider absolutely indispensable is The Shining. Beyond that, it's a big drop-off.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:21 am
apatt wrote:
What? No love for the King directed Maximum Overdrive? ;)

My pick

Christine
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
Misery
Stand By Me
Carrie
Salem's Lot (TV - the one with David Soul in it!)
Firestarter
Silver Bullet

Way to put Christine right up there! I love that movie, and I had such a crush on the dude that played the main character Dennis, Arnie's best mate, he was a babe (when I was like 16). Whatever happened to that dude? Never saw the Salem's Lot TV series, but that book is one of my all time scariest, so should totally seek it out. Pretty samies with the rest of your list + The Shining. Which incidentally, I watched for the first time after seeing Twister - remember how it was the movie on at the drive-in? It took me a couple of goes to get through it because it was so very terrifying.

Hate to hate on SK, but what was that terrible, terrible adaption about the gang of kids and Duddits? Dreamcatcher? I couldn't even pretend to like it.
I'm also going to weigh in on the Mist not-in-the-book-but-in-the-movie-ending here too - bonza, made the movie worth the price of admission.

Totally going off topic here, but have you read the 2 x Joe HIll novels? SK's kid Joe Hill? Now there are some movies just begging to be made.
Horns was probably my book of the year last year, and I swear I was casting in my mind while I read it.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 am