Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Guilty Pleasures - Bad Movies you love 
Post Movies you love but everyone else seems to hate
Forgive me if this has been a discussion topic before. Moderators, if it has, please feel free to combine this thread with the already existing one.

The point of this thread is very simple: what are some movies that you like that no one else seems to? We all have our guilty pleasures. Here are a few of mine:

Hook
Cutthroat Island
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Transformers
Repo! The Genetic Opera
Commando

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:48 pm
Post Re: Guilty Pleasures - Bad Movies you love
I have a thing for the two Transformers films, and as I have pointed out before, my ultimate guilty pleasure is Caligula.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:29 pm
Director

Under Seige 2: Dark Territory
Warriors of Virture

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:38 pm
Profile YIM
Post Re: Guily Pleasures - Bad Movies you love
stiefmo wrote:
Starship Troopers is the best Guilty Pleasure movie of all time. I mean it's got NPH in it for Christ's sake. I watch it several times a year and it still gets the blood flowing. It has everything a guilty pleasure movie should have;

Guns
Explosives
Terrible Acting
A Mixed Gendered Shower Scene
Football - or some variant of
Love Story
Space Flight
and Michael Ironside

Still holding by it. I also love Return of the Living Dead. I actually just re-watched it last night.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:39 pm
Redline
Torque
Ballistic:Ecks Vs. Sever
Rollerball remake
Battlefield Earth
Stealth
House Of The Dead
Alone In The Dark
Cool As Ice

There's more but those are all I can think of right now.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:27 pm
As I've mentioned in a few threads already, Grandma's Boy is a movie I'm beginning to love. It does everything wrong, and maybe that's why it's funny. Maybe it's the content that makes this practice agreeable in this case - it's about pot and video games, after all.

I don't know, but the movie makes me smile. It shouldn't, but it does.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:48 pm
Vexer wrote:
Battlefield Earth

I actually didn't hate this movie for a while of its running length: I thought it was stupid from the beginning, but then it became unbearably boring, and I finally snapped at the stupidity when the main character gave the enemy his gun >.<

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:10 pm
I didn't mention The Marine? Hercules in New York? Possibly Going Overboard?

What the hell me

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:14 pm
Director

I recently saw "Nacho Libre," and, while I didn't think it was that great, it definitely wasn't bad, either. There were some laugh-out-loud moments and it had an odd tone that nonetheless held your interest throughout. So I guess this is a guilty pleasure by my standards. A few more I own: "Meatballs," "Bachelor Party," "Con Air," "The Rock," "The Mummy" (1999), "Commando."

Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 am
In the Name of the King - A Dungeon Siege Tale (Uwe Boll; 2007)
-- It's a terrible film, but not Boll's worst by far. I laughed a lot, and found it an easy watch.

The Twilight films
-- Do not share the near-universal hate, though definitely recognize the glaring flaws.

Signs (M. Night Shyamalan; 2002)
-- Plot holes or leaps in logic aside, I though this had great atmosphere/suspense, and I was scared throughout it; didn't like the ending that much. I don't know if this really counts as bad, but it seems to get bashed nowadays.

There's probably more...

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:07 am
Patrick wrote:
I didn't mention The Marine? Hercules in New York? Possibly Going Overboard?

What the hell me

One of these days (maybe in April), I'm going to sit down and watch these three and report back. I actually rented The Marine from the library once, but didn't get around to watching it before it was due.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:27 am
I liked the first Twilight (***) 7/10. yeah, I said it.

I did NOT like New Moon (**) 5/10, although I personally think Michael Sheen's character Aro should now have his own movie after watching his deliciously over-the-top performance.

Oh, and if your wife makes you listen to all four of these novels of audiobook, I suggest finding another hobby to concurrently entertain yourself (like Russian roulette).

Erik

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:44 am
This scene, from a bad movie that I still like very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu00xKxpcCs

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:18 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
This scene, from a bad movie that I still like very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu00xKxpcCs

It's been years since I've seen Kentucky Fried Movie, but this clip really brought me back. I also get reminded of this film whenever I watched episodes of Boston Legal that Henry Gibson appeared in (he of the "United Appeal for the Dead" sketch in KFM).

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:22 pm
Critic

Don't forget The Untouchables RagnaRok

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Don't forget The Untouchables RagnaRok

I don't consider The Untouchables a bad film, even if it did have Kevin Costner in it. The closest thing to a guilty pleasure for me is that I still watch The Matrix Reloaded on occasion.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:19 pm
Moleman wrote:
The Twilight films
-- Do not share the near-universal hate, though definitely recognize the glaring flaws.

I agree with this. I'll add one of my own: Sorority Row (2009)

This movie was cliched, completely lacked scares, and thought it was witty, but it wasn't...yet I still very much enjoyed watching this piece of crap.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:44 pm
I was going to type out "FROM DUSK TIL DAWN" but there isn't any way I'll call it 'bad'. I do love it, however. Kind of an expensive b-movie, it was. There's something about the fact that it looks so clean and perfected that I've always disliked, however. That's just me.

The opening scene is among the best of the 90s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fK58Vs9iA

Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:06 pm
Hudson Hawk...yeah, I liked Hudson Hawk.

When I was younger, I came across a Betamax at a yard sale that came with an ass load of tapes. Amongst the tapes the dude had recorded Hudson Hawk. I would watch it endlessly...

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:34 pm
ram1312 wrote:
Hudson Hawk...yeah, I liked Hudson Hawk.

When I was younger, I came across a Betamax at a yard sale that came with an ass load of tapes. Amongst the tapes the dude had recorded Hudson Hawk. I would watch it endlessly...

I too enjoyed Hudson Hawk, it's just one those films that's so strange that you can't help but enjoy it on some level.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next