Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Guilty Pleasures - Bad Movies you love 
Post Guilty Pleasures - Bad Movies you love
After going through all the many topics I couldn't see this as a topic, so thought I would start a thread:

These are movies that you know are not good but when you are at home alone, you secretly put into the DVD:

Hudson Hawk
Red Planet
Soul Man
Weekend at Bernies
The Bodyguard

am I am getting embarassed even thinking about them

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:31 am
Post Re: Guily Pleasures - Bad Movies you love
Showgirls.

Once you're numb to the nudity (and believe me, this movie will make you practically forget there's copious amounts of nudity), this movie entertains on a level that's so low that you have to wonder if it wasn't intentional. Writing so bad it's hysterical. Acting so bad it's almost genius.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:20 am
These three come to mind:

The Omega Man
Hell Comes to Frogtown
Iron Eagle

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 am
The Punisher '89
DOA - the videogame movie, not the Dennis Quad movie
Street Fighter

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:24 am
Surviving the Game with Ice-T, Gary Busey, and Rutger Hauer. It's kind of based on The Most Dangerous Game, a short story, about humans hunting humans. If anyone watches that new Joss Whedon show Dollhouse (which is horrible), it's similar to the second episode.

The shining moment is a monolouge by Gary Busey about Prince Henry Stout, his childhood dog. I swear Busey is the only actor who can give that speech. It's a crazy speech and he's the craziest actor I can think of. It's awesome.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Surviving the Game with Ice-T, Gary Busey, and Rutger Hauer. It's kind of based on The Most Dangerous Game, a short story, about humans hunting humans. If anyone watches that new Joss Whedon show Dollhouse (which is horrible), it's similar to the second episode.

The shining moment is a monolouge by Gary Busey about Prince Henry Stout, his childhood dog. I swear Busey is the only actor who can give that speech. It's a crazy speech and he's the craziest actor I can think of. It's awesome.

I think that is the most prototypical Busey moment ever in film.

But if you liked Surviving the Game you're gonna like Hard Target as well, it's pretty much the same story but Ice-T is now Jean Claude Van-Damme, Rutger Hauer is now Lance Henriksen and Charles S. Dutton is now Arnold Vosloo. It's awesome enough to be the second-best Van-Damme movie, only behind Sudden Death.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 pm
For me, Coneheads, Demolition Man, The Santa Clause,

aside on the Santa Clause:

The wife and I watched this in a late-show on a Tuesday night. I'd finished work at 9:00 and picked her up at home. We drove through a raging snowstorm to the cineplex and we were the only two in the whole theater.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:50 pm
Patrick wrote:
But if you liked Surviving the Game you're gonna like Hard Target as well, it's pretty much the same story but Ice-T is now Jean Claude Van-Damme, Rutger Hauer is now Lance Henriksen and Charles S. Dutton is now Arnold Vosloo. It's awesome enough to be the second-best Van-Damme movie, only behind Sudden Death.

Hard Target really is an amazingly entertaining movie. JCVD's character name is Chance Boudreaux and Wilford Brimley plays a butt kicking cajun curmudgeon (strangely his second heavy action performance of 1993 - he played the enforcer character in The Firm. Must have been a good year for senior citizens). Shootouts, roundhouse kicks, explosions, dames, more roundhouse kicks. Movie goodness.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:07 pm
Empire Records
Hackers
Dogma
House
Alien Apocalypse
Swordfish
The Net

You'll notice a few movies revolving around computers. I'm a software developer, and I have yet to see a movie that gets computers even remotely correct. The three I listed are SO bad that they're funny.

I mean flying through 3D towers to locate the "garbage" file? What a fucking joke.

Plus Wendell "Bunk" Pierce is in it. Which I discovered after seeing the movie about 50 times, and well after the Wire had ended its run.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:21 pm
munroe wrote:

You'll notice a few movies revolving around computers. I'm a software developer, and I have yet to see a movie that gets computers even remotely correct. The three I listed are SO bad that they're funny.

I mean flying through 3D towers to locate the "garbage" file? What a fucking joke.

Plus Wendell "Bunk" Pierce is in it. Which I discovered after seeing the movie about 50 times, and well after the Wire had ended its run.

Is that the alien apocolypse with Bruce Cambell? Hehe. That one looked soooo bad.

As far as computers in movies, how about Aronofsky's Pi. Kind of a cool kafkaesque take. Who knows, maybe the Tron remake will hit the nail on the head...haha.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:30 pm
munroe wrote:
Empire Records
Hackers
Dogma
House
Alien Apocalypse
Swordfish
The Net

I haven't seen The Net but I know Sandra Bullock is lonely computer person-thingy. And that's the problem, she's Sandra Bullock during her peak hotness years! There is no way she can even conceive of being lonely. The other nerds probably sneak in hugs, touches and hair sniffs!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:42 pm
Roadhouse is so DUMB. But damned if it didn't make me want to be a bouncer.

Worst bunch of bad guys ever.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:31 pm
Just thought of another one....Hercules in New York. It was Arnie's first feature role, and it truly has to be seen to be believed. The unintentional comedy is through the roof. It's so God-awfully bad that I can't take my eyes off the screen any time it comes on. Arnie's performance is probably the worst acting I've ever seen. It's just hilarious. I remember getting together with friends and playing poker and drinking all night, then putting in the DVD and laughing hysterically for the next hour and a half. I'd nominate this for worst movie ever, but I love it too much to do so. I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to please watch.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:51 pm
Iowa Jeff wrote:
Roadhouse is so DUMB. But damned if it didn't make me want to be a bouncer.

Worst bunch of bad guys ever.

Hey! John Doe was one of those villians (well an unethical bartender at least), as was Ben Gazzara. Big Lebowski also shared Sam Elliot so its got that going for it...and...Pain Dont Hurt!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm
I wouldn't say I "love" it, but Van Damme's CYBORG is pretty damn hilarious to watch (have yet to see it drunk; bet it's ten times more fun).

It amazes me how incompetent this movie is: from the shit camera angles, cheap costumes and locations, the main characters named after guitars, the blue-eyed bad guy who threatens others by removing his sunglasses (with a stupid closeup thrown in for effect), Van Damme freeing himself from being crucified by KICKING the wooden post he's tied to, and Jean-Claude's frequent stares into the camera as if he's reading cue cards... damn, this movie's funny.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:14 pm
Under Siege is my all time favorite bad movie. It's unintentional comedy is off the charts!
Also always watch at least part of Cruel Intentions when I see it on. I don't know whey, I just do.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 pm
The mentioning of Rutger Hauer made me quickly remember Blind Fury...definitely add that to my list! ;)

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:17 pm
bob harris wrote:
Under Siege is my all time favorite bad movie. It's unintentional comedy is off the charts!
Also always watch at least part of Cruel Intentions when I see it on. I don't know whey, I just do.

Watch Exit Wounds, you get to see Steven Seagal in anger management AND him being too fat for the desks resulting in ripping the top of the desks off. Or you can watch Seagal blow up a helicopter using a standard-issue handgun. Or Steven Seagal...traffic cop.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 pm
Patrick wrote:
Watch Exit Wounds, you get to see Steven Seagal in anger management AND him being too fat for the desks resulting in ripping the top of the desks off. Or you can watch Seagal blow up a helicopter using a standard-issue handgun. Or Steven Seagal...traffic cop.

I actually think this is one of Seagal's better films (at least way better than the unwatchable crap he started making afterwards), but that's probably because he's not really the main character. It is hilarious in parts, though.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 pm
neco82 wrote:
Patrick wrote:

I actually think this is one of Seagal's better films (at least way better than the unwatchable crap he started making afterwards), but that's probably because he's not really the main character. It is hilarious in parts, though.

I'm with but replace better with best. I honestly think Exit Wounds is a near-brilliant parody of the standard Seagal movie. But some of his DTV movies are good like Pistol Whipped, Belly of the Beast and Mercenary for Justice.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:58 pm