Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:15 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Most under-rated movie of all time... 
Author Message
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Dark City (1998): The Matrix got all the fanboy love. But to me, this one is the better film. I don't pretend to be a fortune teller. But I strongly suspect that this one will hold up in 20 years. I'll be curious to see how well The Matrix holds up.


Agreed with everything you've said. To me, this is a great, destined to be classic, sci-fi film.

Ed, I feel like I've told you this before, but you should watch this ASAP. It's too bad this is one of the films that got abandoned in the last movie club go-round.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Thank You For Smoking: (2006) As far as Jason Reitman's movies go, I like this one way better than Juno and slightly ahead of Up In The Air.


I didn't like Juno at all, so it goes without saying I liked this better. As for Up In The Air, I like them both about equally for different reasons. I think Thank You For Smoking is a really good satire with some dramatic moments. The Clooney film I see as something close to it's polar opposite - a very good drama with moments of satire. Both are strong films.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009): Overlooked because it came out in the midst of Up mania. Up was great, don't get me wrong. But personally I thought this was the best animated film of 2009.


I'd disagree here and found Anderson's movie merely good. Thematically, he's doing little more than respinning his concerns about family. Nice voice work and a nice looking film, but I didn't find anything special in it. The first 15 minuntes of Up are better than the entirety of this one.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Quiz Show (1994): The most overlooked movie of 1994. The Shawshank Redemption was overlooked at the time. But it's finally started to find its audience. This one has been more forgotten and still waiting to be discovered. This is easily Robert Redford's best directorial effort and the performances from Ralph Fiennes, John Turturro and Rob Morrow are fantastic.


I really dig this movie. I have since I saw it at age 14 or 15. It's not much more than a period piece drama, but it's a very well made and acted one. I don't know if it's the most underrated movie of all time, but it's certainly an underseen one.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Dead Presidents (1995): This one I suspect was overlooked as badly as it was because it got mismarketed as a crime thriller, when in reality the crime film elements don't come into play until the last half hour. In actuality, it's a sober meditation on life in America in the late 60s-early 70s and a commentary on the shameful way America treats its veterans. The fact that it was following up Menace II Society, which was a masterpiece, didn't help it either. The story works quite well, the war scenes are as harrowingly effective as can be (they come close to rivaling the ones in Platoon and beat the ones in Saving Private Ryan) and the Hughes Brothers earn points for daring to end the film on an appropriately downbeat note.


You saved the best for last. This movie is so underrated, so miscategorized, that it's always blown my mind. Maybe it's too black, maybe the Hughes Brothers aren't respected enough (I dig most of their stuff), or maybe audiences were looking for another movie entirely. Whatever the reason, this movie is too often dismissed and it's one I really, really enjoy. Really strong filmmaking.


Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:05 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2387
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Idiocracy (2006) - A biting satire on modern-day dumbing down. Still flies under the radar after 5 years. I'm not surprised Fox apparently tried to play down the release, since it takes a swipe at their stock audience.

The Machinist (2004) - Still, in my view, Bale's career defining performance. For me it's just a quintessential indie flick. Dark, moody, grim, yet underplayed.

Miller's Crossing (1990) - Deserves higher status and recognition than it appears to receive. I bet Tarantino has seen this film a 100 times.

In Bruges (2008)- Not helped by a completely incorrect marketing campaign; this is actually subtle anglo/irish humour at its best.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:19 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2387
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
The Following (1996) - Christopher Nolan's first film. A cheap but effectively moody flick.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:30 pm
Profile
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
I will also play the quotation game because it is fun and because I was directly referenced.

PeachyPete wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Dark City (1998): The Matrix got all the fanboy love. But to me, this one is the better film. I don't pretend to be a fortune teller. But I strongly suspect that this one will hold up in 20 years. I'll be curious to see how well The Matrix holds up.


Agreed with everything you've said. To me, this is a great, destined to be classic, sci-fi film.

Ed, I feel like I've told you this before, but you should watch this ASAP. It's too bad this is one of the films that got abandoned in the last movie club go-round.


I think that, at worst, I'd like it too. I'm a big sucker for Sci-fi and just about everyone here likes Dark City. I was looking forward to that club entry too and had intended to check out both the original and the director's cut. I'm not sure why I haven't checked it out yet, I just suppose there's so much that I still want to see.

NotHughGrant wrote:
Idiocracy (2006) - A biting satire on modern-day dumbing down. Still flies under the radar after 5 years. I'm not surprised Fox apparently tried to play down the release, since it takes a swipe at their stock audience.

The Machinist (2004) - Still, in my view, Bale's career defining performance. For me it's just a quintessential indie flick. Dark, moody, grim, yet underplayed.

Miller's Crossing (1990) - Deserves higher status and recognition than it appears to receive. I bet Tarantino has seen this film a 100 times.

In Bruges (2008)- Not helped by a completely incorrect marketing campaign; this is actually subtle anglo/irish humour at its best.

The Following (1996) - Christopher Nolan's first film. A cheap but effectively moody flick.


I haven't seen Miller's Crossing but I'd argue that most of those films are "properly rated". Idiocracy has a great idea and some very fine scenes. It's not a great film though. I might agree that The Machinist is Christian Bale's best performance but outside of his role the movie wasn't special. In Bruges, I liked a lot. I was saddened by its commercial failure. Then I was mortified by its cult embrace. It's good, but again, far from great. I love Following just like I love all of Nolan's films. It's probably underrated too (or maybe just under-seen) but I would not include it in a "Most under-rated movie of all time" topic.


Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 pm
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2387
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Hmmm, I may have employed artistic license or hyperbole in saying the above were among the most underrated ever, however -

Millers Crossing - you really need to see!

Idiocracy - I will concede that the ideas are often better than the execution and that it can be mistaken for what it sending up, but it's still under-appreciated.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:39 am
Profile
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Most Underrated: A Bronx Tale and Downfall


Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:35 pm
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
HAL 9000 wrote:
Most Underrated: A Bronx Tale and Downfall


It's such a pity that most people know Downfall because of the Hitler meme. Can anyone watch those clips and then see the movie for the first time while holding a straight face? Oh well, it might cause more people to see the film so I suppose that's what counts.


Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:44 pm
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
ed_metal_head wrote:
HAL 9000 wrote:
Most Underrated: A Bronx Tale and Downfall


It's such a pity that most people know Downfall because of the Hitler meme. Can anyone watch those clips and then see the movie for the first time while holding a straight face? Oh well, it might cause more people to see the film so I suppose that's what counts.


Quite true. Lots of parodies about that particular scene.


Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:37 pm
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Definitely not 'of all time' but I feel Soderbergh’s Solaris (2002) was very underrated, was re-watching a couple weeks back and just love the atmosphere of the whole thing.


Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:23 pm
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
HAL 9000 wrote:
Most Underrated: A Bronx Tale and Downfall


A Bronx Tale is on my personal Top 100. It's one of the first movie's that I saw that really touched me. Thank you for mentioning it. :)


Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:02 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:38 am
Posts: 135
Location: Tornado Alley
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Not sure about "of all time," but here are some random thoughts:

I recently saw The Cry of the Owl, which has a 13% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I loved it.

I mentioned in another topic that I liked Dracula 2000, which has a 14%.

Speaking of recent horror movies, The Ruins (47%) and The Thing (33%).

I like Last Action Hero, borderline love it. 38%.

Speed 2 isn't very good at all, but the way that people talk about it like it's one of the worst movies ever made amuses me.

The Godfather Part III. Unnecessary, yes. Disappointing, yes. Even remotely a bad movie, no.

And someone needs to explain this injustice to me:

Terminator 3 - 71%
Terminator Salvation - 33%

_________________
Come watch me watch A Movie a Day IV: The Quest for Peace
"You'll howl with laughter!" —Earl Dittman


Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:10 am
Profile
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Jory wrote:
Not sure about "of all time," but here are some random thoughts:

I recently saw The Cry of the Owl, which has a 13% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I loved it.

I mentioned in another topic that I liked Dracula 2000, which has a 14%.

Speaking of recent horror movies, The Ruins (47%) and The Thing (33%).

I like Last Action Hero, borderline love it. 38%.

Speed 2 isn't very good at all, but the way that people talk about it like it's one of the worst movies ever made amuses me.

The Godfather Part III. Unnecessary, yes. Disappointing, yes. Even remotely a bad movie, no.

And someone needs to explain this injustice to me:

Terminator 3 - 71%
Terminator Salvation - 33%

Agreed on all counts, i'm also surprised at how much hatred Abduction has gotten, it's not a great film but it's hardly a trainwreck either, at the very least it's infinitely more tolerable thne any of the Twilight films. I also don't get all hatred for Killers I thought it was a pretty fun action-comedy.


Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:42 am
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
ed_metal_head wrote:
HAL 9000 wrote:
Most Underrated: A Bronx Tale and Downfall


It's such a pity that most people know Downfall because of the Hitler meme. Can anyone watch those clips and then see the movie for the first time while holding a straight face? Oh well, it might cause more people to see the film so I suppose that's what counts.

Now that the meme is played out and the scene is no longer funny, I'm sure they can.


Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:47 am
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 413
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Ken wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
It's such a pity that most people know Downfall because of the Hitler meme. Can anyone watch those clips and then see the movie for the first time while holding a straight face? Oh well, it might cause more people to see the film so I suppose that's what counts.

Now that the meme is played out and the scene is no longer funny, I'm sure they can.
I was one of those fortunate people who saw the film before it became an Internet Meme. Still, the actual scene itself is quite forceful when watching the film that even if you have seen all the Youtube videos, it will still have the same impact.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Jory wrote:
The Godfather Part III. Unnecessary, yes. Disappointing, yes. Even remotely a bad movie, no.

And someone needs to explain this injustice to me:

Terminator 3 - 71%
Terminator Salvation - 33%


Godfather III was nominated for Best Picture, no? Hard to call a nominee underrated, but I do agree that viewers are often a little harsher on the film than it deserves.

That Tomatometer is too lenient on T3, but I mostly agree. I was really excited for Salvation but it's not nearly as good as the disappointing third instalment.


Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:43 pm
Gaffer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:57 am
Posts: 38
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Most under-rated movie of all time...

The Fountain
25th Hour
In Bruges
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Eastern Promises
Mr. Nobody
The American
Blue Valentine
The Fall


Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:46 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr