Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Most under-rated movie of all time... 
Post Re: Most under-rated movie of all time...
Vexer wrote:
Unke wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I agree with Last Action Hero being underrated, it was enjoyable although it was a bit too long for it's own good, another film I found highly underrated was Adventures of Pluto Nash, Eddie Murphy gave a more restrained performance and was complimented nicely by Rosario Dawson, it's a shame the film didn't do better as I had way more fun with it thne I expected to. Other films I found highly underrated were Hostel Part II, Hills have Eyes Part II, Alien Vs. Predator Reqiuem, House Of The Dead, Alone In The Dark, Underclassmen, In The Mix, Pokemon The First Movie, Yu-gi-oh THe Movie, Knock Off, Double Team, Universal Soldier The Return ALL Steven Seagal films, Dukes Of Hazzard, Bad Boys II, Ballistic:Ecks Vs. Sever, Reindeer Games, Jason X, Ghost In The Machine, Children Of The Corn 2, Captivity, Aces:Iron Eagle III, Excessive Force, Fair Game, Mortal Kombal Annihilation, 300 Miles To Graceland, Judgment Night, Barb Wire, Doom, Wing Commander, Rollerball(2002), Soldier, Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter, Double Dragon, Cursed, Bad Company, The Punisher, Shadow Conspiracy, and Speed 2. i know my list will definitely raise more thne a few eyebrows.

Raise a few eyebrows? Mine are through the roof! I get the impression that you've been copying a list of worst-reviewed movies to make the list (with a totally appropriate addition of all of Steven Seagal's films).

Well i'm not just copying, as hard as it might be for alot of people to believe, I really DO enjoy all of those movies, I tend to enjoy films that most people hate rather then ones most people love.

Vexer, you're a contrarian! ;)

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:38 pm
Vexer wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Vexer, I'm sure you didn't see ALL of Steven Seagals movies can no person, sane or insane, can ever like, love or tolerate The Patriot(no, not the Mel Gibson one) or Attack Force

UGh!!! :evil: I REALLy hate it when poeple call me insane just cause I like his films! :roll: :roll: :roll: Yes I liked all of Segal's films in some ways, and my dad enjoyes watching them with me, and my enjoyment of all these films might have something to do with me being autistic if you will so i guess i'm not really "sane" in your perfect sense of the wrod now am I? :roll: but I still don't see why I should be insulted for enjoying those films jsut cause most poeple on here don't like them, I think people including James just take them too seriously to really enjoy them, I mean with action films you don't usually expect much in the way of acting, yeah Seagal can't act worth a damn but is that REALLY surprising, most people don't watch sEagal's films for acting, they watch them to see Seagal kick ass! And as long as he does that, I couldn't care less whether he can act or not!

I like some Steven Seagal movies too, I even blogged about my Top 10 favorite Steven Seagal movies. And that wanting to see him break somebody's neck is exactly why The Patriot sucked, he only kicked people's ass for like 45 seconds out of 100 minute movie. The rest of the time he's trying to break a terrorist-controlled disease neck using science instead of his hands! I mean what the fuck is that! As for Attack Force, some old guy is dubbing him for like half the movie! And it's really boring...I like the wrist blades he used though.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:44 pm
Patrick wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Vexer, I'm sure you didn't see ALL of Steven Seagals movies can no person, sane or insane, can ever like, love or tolerate The Patriot(no, not the Mel Gibson one) or Attack Force

UGh!!! :evil: I REALLy hate it when poeple call me insane just cause I like his films! :roll: :roll: :roll: Yes I liked all of Segal's films in some ways, and my dad enjoyes watching them with me, and my enjoyment of all these films might have something to do with me being autistic if you will so i guess i'm not really "sane" in your perfect sense of the wrod now am I? :roll: but I still don't see why I should be insulted for enjoying those films jsut cause most poeple on here don't like them, I think people including James just take them too seriously to really enjoy them, I mean with action films you don't usually expect much in the way of acting, yeah Seagal can't act worth a damn but is that REALLY surprising, most people don't watch sEagal's films for acting, they watch them to see Seagal kick ass! And as long as he does that, I couldn't care less whether he can act or not!

I like some Steven Seagal movies too, I even blogged about my Top 10 favorite Steven Seagal movies. And that wanting to see him break somebody's neck is exactly why The Patriot sucked, he only kicked people's ass for like 45 seconds out of 100 minute movie. The rest of the time he's trying to break a terrorist-controlled disease neck using science instead of his hands! I mean what the fuck is that! As for Attack Force, some old guy is dubbing him for like half the movie! And it's really boring...I like the wrist blades he used though.
okay yeah they're are pretty crapp next to all his other films, but I still found them enjoyable in a so-bad-it's-good way, and i'd still gladly see thme over overrated garbage like the Lord Of The Rings series, blech!!! :evil:

Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:57 pm
Unke wrote:

Or: Reelviews' first troll.

Vexer wrote:

My compliments. This is really trolling at the highest level here. Note the "accidental" spelling errors.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:56 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Unke wrote:

Or: Reelviews' first troll.

Vexer wrote:

My compliments. This is really trolling at the highest level here. Note the "accidental" spelling errors.
Okay Metal Head, let me make one thing REAL clear to you, i'm just stating my goddamn opinion! That DOES NOT make me a goddamn troll!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: And those spelling errors are only there because I have a tendency to type fast and post without checking my grammar, and the fact that you'd automatically brand someone a troll just cause of a few minor spelling errors actually shows you have MORE ignorance then the average troll if you ask me :lol: :twisted:

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:33 pm
It sounds like the Vexer has been vexed.....sorry couldn't resist. :D

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:36 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

Yeah yeah go ahead, laugh at me, but i'm still not a freakin troll! :evil: Got it?!! :evil:

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:42 pm
Guys cool it! Anymore insolence from anyone will immediately get a warning and their post deleted. If Vexer wants to make a list that's confusing, that's his right! I don't need a flame war over it.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:46 pm
Vexer wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

Yeah yeah go ahead, laugh at me, but i'm still not a freakin troll! :evil: Got it?!! :evil:

Lighten up man. You enjoy what most people think are crap movies. If that's really the case, and you aren't trolling, you should be used to a certain amount of backlash stemming from that by now. When you list 20-30 movies as being the most underrated movies of all time, and most of them are examples of some of the worst reviewed movies in recent film history, it's only natural that people think you're a little off. You yourself even admitted that. Another acceptable reaction is to think you are being contrary just for the sake of being contrary (which would be trolling), because most people don't like ALL of those movies, let alone think they all merit discussion as the ost underrated movies of all time. That doesn't mean you can't like those movies, just like it doesn't mean other people should agree that they are underrated. Of the movies I've seen on your list, I'm of the opinion that they are all crap. The Hills Have Eyes II is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I hated both Jason X and Hostel II. If you actually like them, that's fine, but to think someone is out of line for being skeptical of your intentions based on your list isn't right. That's a perfectly acceptable reaction given the situation. Again, it seems like this list would be met with similar reactions frequently, making the reactions to it in this thread acceptable.

Bottom line: If you like it, you like it, who cares if others don't?

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:58 pm
Yeah I guess your right, being autistic I just tend to to get a little defensive over my opinions, but I still didn't deserve to be labelled a troll over a few spelling errors! :evil:

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:23 pm
How about we get back to the topic at hand, eh? To those who mentioned Amorres Perros, great call on that one. Babel was also very good; however, I still need to see 21 Grams. Inarritu is coming out with a new film later this year which has me excited! Another film that I have mentioned but I don't think that I could mention enough is Adventureland, an undeserved box-office flop. I guess the fact that it had the misfortune of the same weekend as Fast and Furious was probably the main reason why it tanked. After all, why sit down to watch an intelligent, character driven dramatic comedy when you could gorge yourself on car chases and crashes as well as big-breasted women and equally attractive guys, none of whom shows much more than a shred of acting ability? I went to go see Adventureland with a friend and even he wasn't into it but personally, I couldn't help but be drawn in by the characters and the sharp dialogue. James' review hit the nail on the head. I can't wait for this to come out on DVD!

Last edited by oafolay on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:17 pm
oafolay wrote:
How about we get back to the topic at hand, eh? To those who mentioned Amorres Perros, great call on that one. Babel was also very good; however, I still need to see 21 Grams. Inarritu is coming out with a new film later this year which has me excited! Another film that I have mentioned but I don't think that I could mention enough is Adventureland, an undeserved box-office flop. I guess the fact that it had the misfortune of the same weekend as Fast and Furious was probably the main reason why it tanked. After all, why sit down to watch and intelligent, character driven dramatic comedy when you could gorge yourself on car chases and crashes as well as big-breasted women and equally attractive guys, none of whom shows much more than a shred of acting ability? I went to go see Adventureland with a friend and even he wasn't into it but personally, I couldn't help but be drawn in by the characters and the sharp dialogue. James' review hit the nail on the head. I can't wait for this to come out on DVD!

Critics loved it, but underrated by audiences definitely.
It was a tough movie to market - the trailers didn't sell it very well.

Anyway, I loved it too, and I hope it is one of those films that becomes a hit once it's out on DVD.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:05 pm
DylnFan96818 wrote:
A couple of underrated films have already been mentioned; those being "City of God" and "Dark City". I would also add "Everything is Illuminated". I really like Liev Schrieber's direction and the performances of Eugene Hutz and the grandfather. Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. isn't bad either.

Great call on both City of God and Dark City.City of God is in my top five favorites ever. I love it's gritty, kinetic sense of style and its uncompromising depiction of life in the slums. Dark City was a great stylistic, atmospheric treat. I need to buy this one eventually. I might have enjoyed this one even more than The Matrix which had a similar storyline...and once again everyone disappears after a near-flame war!!!!!

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 pm
Producer

In terms of movies that got a beating they did not deserve:

Gigli - it's not a great by any means, it's incredibly uneven and contains it's fair amount of scenes that don't work but one of the worst movies of all time? Give me a break!

I gotta say I loved The Postman (the Kevin Costner one) and that also got atrocious reviews.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:27 am
One movie that seemed to get a ton of critical acclaim back in the day when it first came out but that no one seems to talk about much anymore is the gritty urban 1994 drama/thriller Fresh. I have seen it once but it left a permanent impression. The film was intelligently-written and full of tension and suspense; having a 12-year-old as the protagonist only amplified these effects. I also appreciated the film's approach to depicting inner-city life as it really is. Moments of violence are surprisingly rare (at least for this sort of film) but when they occur, they have a blunt, direct impact. The movie is not afraid to show that even young children can be killed in this sort of environment. Thankfully, some of the potentially more gruesome moments are just out of view of the camera. The acting was strong all around, particularly from Sean Nelson (making his debut here) and Samuel L. Jackson, who proves that he can be equally as excellent in lower-key roles as in the more flamboyant roles he usually takes (such as Pulp Fiction which also came out that year). And the somewhat ambiguous ending adds another layer to the story. Overall, an excellent film that deserves more attention than it's gotten.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:39 am
Gaffer

Searching for Bobby Fischer
Birdy
Midnight Express
King of the Hill
The Saint of Fort Washington
Lucas
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
Night of the Creeps
Starman
They Live
Up the Creek
A Midnight Clear
Memphis Belle
Racing with the Moon
Johnny Dangerously
My Bodyguard
The Dead Zone
Funny Farm

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:02 am
I love Remo Williams. Don't know if you read any of the Warren Murphy "Destroyer" series, but it's definitely an entertaining read. And with Fred Ward, Joel Grey, and Wilford Brimley...how can you go wrong? I can't believe they still haven't released the DVD in a widescreen version. Stupid pan and scan.

And I have to agree with the John Carpenter flicks. He's terribly underrated. Just watched They Live again last night...such a classic.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:14 am
'The Abominable Dr. Phibes' (with Vincent Price, 1971)

...and for that matter 'Witchfinder General' (AKA: 'The Conqueror Worm', also with Vince - 1968)

Way, way underrated flicks. IMHO that is.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:04 pm
Director

Here are a couple of mine:

Rosewood (1997): Easily John Singleton's most overlooked film and his best one not named Boyz N The Hood. Part of me hopes that since his descent into being a director for hire, more people might discover this one.

Shattered Glass (2003): This proves that Hayden Christensen can actually act, even if he does go overboard at times. But the best performance in this film was by Peter Saarsgard who really deserved an oscar nomination for it.

Dark City (1998): The Matrix got all the fanboy love. But to me, this one is the better film. I don't pretend to be a fortune teller. But I strongly suspect that this one will hold up in 20 years. I'll be curious to see how well The Matrix holds up.

Talk Radio (1988): Oliver Stone's most underrated film. As to how it got overlooked I attribute it to 2 factors: First, the fact that it came in between 2 of his best known films (Wall Street and Born On The Fourth Of July). Second, it was also ahead of its time. It predicted the direction political discourse would take in America by about 2 decades.

Thank You For Smoking: (2006) As far as Jason Reitman's movies go, I like this one way better than Juno and slightly ahead of Up In The Air.

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009): Overlooked because it came out in the midst of Up mania. Up was great, don't get me wrong. But personally I thought this was the best animated film of 2009.

The Abyss (1989): Among the best of Cameron's films. The only ones I'd rank ahead of it are Aliens and the 2 Terminator picks. This one is way better than Titanic or Avatar.

Quiz Show (1994): The most overlooked movie of 1994. The Shawshank Redemption was overlooked at the time. But it's finally started to find its audience. This one has been more forgotten and still waiting to be discovered. This is easily Robert Redford's best directorial effort and the performances from Ralph Fiennes, John Turturro and Rob Morrow are fantastic.

Dead Presidents (1995): This one I suspect was overlooked as badly as it was because it got mismarketed as a crime thriller, when in reality the crime film elements don't come into play until the last half hour. In actuality, it's a sober meditation on life in America in the late 60s-early 70s and a commentary on the shameful way America treats its veterans. The fact that it was following up Menace II Society, which was a masterpiece, didn't help it either. The story works quite well, the war scenes are as harrowingly effective as can be (they come close to rivaling the ones in Platoon and beat the ones in Saving Private Ryan) and the Hughes Brothers earn points for daring to end the film on an appropriately downbeat note.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:21 pm
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Here are a couple of mine:

Rosewood (1997): Easily John Singleton's most overlooked film and his best one not named Boyz N The Hood. Part of me hopes that since his descent into being a director for hire, more people might discover this one.

Shattered Glass (2003): This proves that Hayden Christensen can actually act, even if he does go overboard at times. But the best performance in this film was by Peter Saarsgard who really deserved an oscar nomination for it.

Dark City (1998): The Matrix got all the fanboy love. But to me, this one is the better film. I don't pretend to be a fortune teller. But I strongly suspect that this one will hold up in 20 years. I'll be curious to see how well The Matrix holds up.

Talk Radio (1988): Oliver Stone's most underrated film. As to how it got overlooked I attribute it to 2 factors: First, the fact that it came in between 2 of his best known films (Wall Street and Born On The Fourth Of July). Second, it was also ahead of its time. It predicted the direction political discourse would take in America by about 2 decades.

Thank You For Smoking: (2006) As far as Jason Reitman's movies go, I like this one way better than Juno and slightly ahead of Up In The Air.

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009): Overlooked because it came out in the midst of Up mania. Up was great, don't get me wrong. But personally I thought this was the best animated film of 2009.

The Abyss (1989): Among the best of Cameron's films. The only ones I'd rank ahead of it are Aliens and the 2 Terminator picks. This one is way better than Titanic or Avatar.

Quiz Show (1994): The most overlooked movie of 1994. The Shawshank Redemption was overlooked at the time. But it's finally started to find its audience. This one has been more forgotten and still waiting to be discovered. This is easily Robert Redford's best directorial effort and the performances from Ralph Fiennes, John Turturro and Rob Morrow are fantastic.

Dead Presidents (1995): This one I suspect was overlooked as badly as it was because it got mismarketed as a crime thriller, when in reality the crime film elements don't come into play until the last half hour. In actuality, it's a sober meditation on life in America in the late 60s-early 70s and a commentary on the shameful way America treats its veterans. The fact that it was following up Menace II Society, which was a masterpiece, didn't help it either. The story works quite well, the war scenes are as harrowingly effective as can be (they come close to rivaling the ones in Platoon and beat the ones in Saving Private Ryan) and the Hughes Brothers earn points for daring to end the film on an appropriately downbeat note.

I'm ashamed to say that I've only seen four of those (Smoking, Mr. Fox, Abyss and Quiz Show) but each of them were very good so I will make note of the other movies you mentioned.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next