Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:46 pm

WGA's top screenplays. 
Post WGA's top screenplays.
http://www.wga.org/subpage_newsevents.aspx?id=1807

I haven't gotten around to looking at the list yet, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 pm
Post Re: WGA's top screenplays.
#68 Star Wars
I myself consider Star Wars to be among the top movies of all time, but even I admit that the plot is derivative and the dialog horrendous. I therefore would be interested in knowing why Star Wars is considered to have such a great screenplay.

#63 Jaws
Again, I'm not sure what makes it great. Basic monster movie plot that's considered a classic thanks to some great direction on Spielberg's part.

#67 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
!!!

And those are just those movies that I've seen.

-Jeremy

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:12 pm
Producer

Star Wars doesn't belong there, but Jaws does. The dialog between the 3 leads is among the best ever. 3 great characters. Jaws forever remains one of my all time favorites.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm
Director

Can't really disagree with most of the choices. Jaws had some good dialogue. But I agree that that's one case where great direction helped a film transcend a simply okay screenpl;ay.

Star Wars is a great movie from a technical standpoint. But George Lucas cannot write dialogue. (Neither can James Cameron obviously).

The only one that really triggered a WTF was The Sixth Sense. If they wanted to include a screenplay with a moment like that The Crying Game would've been a far better choice.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm
The only ones I don't agree with are Star Wars and The Sixth Sense. What do you think are some omissions from the list? Mine are:

In the Heat of the Night
12 Angry Men
The Sweet Hereafter

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:04 pm
I would personally get rid of Fargo (by now, everyone should know how overrated I find that movie to be) and replace it with Reservoir Dogs. Flame me if you wish bitches! :evil: :evil:

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:25 pm
oafolay wrote:
I would personally get rid of Fargo (by now, everyone should know how overrated I find that movie to be) and replace it with Reservoir Dogs. Flame me if you wish bitches! :evil: :evil:

You want to replace a slightly overrated movie with an even more overrated movie?

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:45 pm
Patrick wrote:
oafolay wrote:

You want to replace a slightly overrated movie with an even more overrated movie?

If you wanna put it that way; I'd put as replacing a movie which I didn't think had a truly great script with one that I thought had an amazing one! Each man to his own, tho!

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 pm
Producer

The Sixth Sense wasn't high enough on the list. A brilliant screenplay IMO!

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:58 am
ilovemovies wrote:
The Sixth Sense wasn't high enough on the list. A brilliant screenplay IMO!

Any "best of" fillm/screenplay list that has that piece of shit film on it is impossible for me to take seriously.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:12 am
Good to see the inclusion of Sweet Smell of Success, Double Indemnity, The Sting, LA Confidential, Rear Window and Memento - sharp screenwriting in each one, and crucial to the quality of the movies.

The only non-English language ones I noticed were 8 1/2 and La Grande Illusion, though - as these are included, I'm assuming it's intended to be an international list. Surely there must be some other non-English language films that could take some spots?

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:53 am