Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Most underused talent? 
Post Most underused talent?
The topic of best actors made me think....What actors and actresses waste their talents more than anyone else. Whether it be for choosing horrible film choices(Nic Cage, Ben Kingsley, Kevin Spacey) or by working too infrequently(Daniel Day-Lewis jumps to the front of this one).

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 pm
Post Re: Most underused talent?
Agreed with your choices. I'd like to see Kevin Spacey work more often - he's always fun to watch and I have never seen him give a bad performance.

Add Eddie Murphy to that list. The man can be so funny at times, that it hurts to see him taking bland parts in family comedies or dressing up in a fat suit. You know he has more talent than that.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:52 pm
How about Samuel L. Jackson. There's nothing this man won't do for a paycheck apparently. I'd actually like to see him step back and choose a significant role like he did in Black Snake Moan.

John Travolta- I'd like to see him do something worthy since Pulp Fiction

Then the obvious Spacey and Cage factors.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:30 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:
How about Samuel L. Jackson. There's nothing this man won't do for a paycheck apparently. I'd actually like to see him step back and choose a significant role like he did in Black Snake Moan.

Agreed. It's a shame that a great actor like Samuel L. Jackson is wasting his talent in tosh, such as The Spirit or Jumper. My advise: Stay clear of a Samuel L- Jackson film, if he's got an exotic hairstyle.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:48 pm
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

John Travolta- I'd like to see him do something worthy since Pulp Fiction

Then the obvious Spacey and Cage factors.

Samuel L is a perfect example of this. He has the ability to do more but chooses big paychecks in movies he can scream in!

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:51 pm
Unke wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Agreed. It's a shame that a great actor like Samuel L. Jackson is wasting his talent in tosh, such as The Spirit or Jumper. My advise: Stay clear of a Samuel L- Jackson film, if he's got an exotic hairstyle.

But he had an exotic hairstyle in Unbreakable and that movie was awesome

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:52 pm
Patrick wrote:
Unke wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

But he had an exotic hairstyle in Unbreakable and that movie was awesome

I stand corrected. I also forgot about the strange facial hair in Jackie Brown.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:07 pm
I heard a stat saying that John Cazale was only in five motion pictures...all of which were nominated for best picture (3 of which won.)

Talk about underused...

He was Fredo in The Godfather movies...

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:12 pm
ram1312 wrote:
I heard a stat saying that John Cazale was only in five motion pictures...all of which were nominated for best picture (3 of which won.)

Talk about underused...

But Cazale had that unfortunate case of death so he has an excuse to waste his talent.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 pm
Patrick wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Talk about underused...

But Cazale had that unfortunate case of death so he has an excuse to waste his talent.

why is this making me laugh? the unfortunate case of death?? :lol: especially when you use the phrase waste his talent.

great actor though. i think al pacino referred to him as "my true acting partner", something along those lines.

damn,just looked him up, he was engaged to meryl steep at the time of his death.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:33 pm
Technically Cazale was in 6 films, they use footage of him in The Godfather 3. All were nominated for Best Picture. IMDB says they don't credit him though, so I guess he was really technically in only 5 films.

I agree with Cage, to an extent. I think he underuses his talent by choosing terrible movies recently, but not for his entire career. The past few years he's been in a bunch of stinkers, but as recently as 2002, he was in (and nominated for) Adaptation. He's a great actor and can be great in any genre, and in almost any role. He just chooses suckfests now, for some reason.

I'd personally say someone like Guy Pearce is underused. After the success of LA Confidential and Memento, I thought he'd become a major star. I know a lot of it has to do with him shying away from the limelight, and I've read he's difficult to work with (but really, what actor don't they say that about?), but I think he can really act, and would be a star if he was in more mainstream films. Or choose better mainstream films. Recently, his mainstream movies have been Bedtime Stories and Traitor, both as the second, or third fiddle. He's way better than that.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:51 pm
Patrick wrote:
ram1312 wrote:

Talk about underused...

Ha...good one. I was thinking along the lines of in between films or before The Godfather. 5 films in 6 years. I don't know what the averages are but seems like a little.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:00 pm
Ryan Gosling and William Fitchner. I think both of these guys are phenominal actors. Gosling had a brief flash of fame with the Notebook but has chose some really odd movies following including Half Nelson and Lars and the Real Girl. Fitchner has always had bit parts most notably in Armaggedon and Prison Break but has never really gotten a shot at the lead.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:53 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
Technically Cazale was in 6 films, they use footage of him in The Godfather 3. All were nominated for Best Picture. IMDB says they don't credit him though, so I guess he was really technically in only 5 films.

I agree with Cage, to an extent. I think he underuses his talent by choosing terrible movies recently, but not for his entire career. The past few years he's been in a bunch of stinkers, but as recently as 2002, he was in (and nominated for) Adaptation. He's a great actor and can be great in any genre, and in almost any role. He just chooses suckfests now, for some reason.

I'd personally say someone like Guy Pearce is underused. After the success of LA Confidential and Memento, I thought he'd become a major star. I know a lot of it has to do with him shying away from the limelight, and I've read he's difficult to work with (but really, what actor don't they say that about?), but I think he can really act, and would be a star if he was in more mainstream films. Or choose better mainstream films. Recently, his mainstream movies have been Bedtime Stories and Traitor, both as the second, or third fiddle. He's way better than that.

Guy Pearce is a great call. Have you seen him in The Proposition?

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:04 pm
bob harris wrote:

That's interesting that you ask about that movie. I haven't seen it, but I'm taking a class on the history of the Western and we're watching it in a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to checking it out. It's the only movie in the class we get to see in a theater, and it's at the only AFI theater in the country, which is amazing. Since you asked about it, I'm assuming it's good. I surely hope so.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 pm
Kat Dennings. She's so beautiful and so passionate about her work; I'd like to see her in something that's not a comedy. I also think Steve Carell has the gravitas to pull off a drama, if people would let him. Same with Seth Rogen; he's shown some dramatic chops in a few of his comedies. Adam Sandler's great under the right director.

I agree about Day-Lewis needing to work more.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Let's not forget the elephant in the room: Robert DeNiro.

Seriously, what happened to this guy? He just looks tired in every movie he's in now.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:28 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
bob harris wrote:

That's interesting that you ask about that movie. I haven't seen it, but I'm taking a class on the history of the Western and we're watching it in a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to checking it out. It's the only movie in the class we get to see in a theater, and it's at the only AFI theater in the country, which is amazing. Since you asked about it, I'm assuming it's good. I surely hope so.

I'm a little jealous, I didn't get to see it in theaters but it is a very good western. If you're a fan of the genre, you'll enjoy this, I'm curious to hear your thoughts after.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:40 pm
Damaj wrote:
Let's not forget the elephant in the room: Robert DeNiro.

Seriously, what happened to this guy? He just looks tired in every movie he's in now.

I don't think I've seen or heard a more accurate quote than that about DeNiro. He really does look tired. He seemed a little energized at the Oscars. Of the senior circuit of actors(him, Pacino, Nicholson, etc), I've always thought he was the most talented. All three of them waste their abilities these days. I mean look at Dustin Hoffman(who admittedly has some stinkers now and again) in dignified roles like Last Chance Harvey. That's the way to continue your craft at that age. DeNiro has the chops to do several different types of roles, it would be nice to see him choose something strong.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:47 pm
I'd love to see Zac Efron in more flicks.

............haha, just kidding.

What's Tobey Maguire up to these days?

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:02 pm