Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..? 
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Hi everyone,

I don't post this in any way to be judgmental, but I do wonder how our lists are influenced by our age, gender and location.

My list has changed over the years. I'm 50, male, British and living in California

When I was 15 (1973) my list would have been full of James Bond and Hammer horror movies

Having been to college in the UK and left in 1982 I had discovered "serious" film. Despite running two film clubs - the science fiction and horror film club and the alternative (read arty foreign stuff)

Being European, French and Italian cinema was a natural next step. However, the Japanese cinema always seemed more daunting.

Age changed all that. As we get older mortality comes into play and maybe we change again?

I'm not 100% sure about this.

Rob

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:21 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi everyone,
I don't post this in any way to be judgmental, but I do wonder how our lists are influenced by our age, gender and location.

Age I notice first in top10 lists. My list, and lists from other people in their 20's naturally have more films from the 90's on them than do older filmgoers.
It just has to do with what I've seen most of. After studying film in college, my list has skewed slightly older, but I still fell in love with cinema in the late 90's so some of those films will always be my favorites.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Hi everyone,

My list has changed over the years. I'm 50, male, British and living in California

When I was 15 (1973) my list would have been full of James Bond and Hammer horror movies

Having been to college in the UK and left in 1982 I had discovered "serious" film. Despite running two film clubs - the science fiction and horror film club and the alternative (read arty foreign stuff)

Being European, French and Italian cinema was a natural next step. However, the Japanese cinema always seemed more daunting.

Age changed all that. As we get older mortality comes into play and maybe we change again?

I'm not 100% sure about this.

Rob

For me it's the time since I've seen the movie, the longer it's been since I've seen it, the more it falls down my list.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:59 pm
KRATZ,

what did you think of the cinecast of Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway? I thought it was mucho better than the movie version. (keeping this short so as to no go too far off topic)

as for my list... haha!! that'll take some time. cant do it now. no way.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:22 am
well, since I'm "only" 18, taste changes have been a little more frequent and noticeable for me. heck, only 10 years ago I was 8 and my "favorite movie" list would have probably been all cartoons or animated movies - probably the only live action films being Mortal Kombat, The Mask and The Fifth Element.

now that I run a film criticism website, watch about 200 films a year and have seen even more films on DVD/Blu-Ray, I have a lot more to chose from (artsy films, blockbusters, animation, foreign movies, etc.) and thus making a list is harder. it's obvious it will change, though, so yeah, age has affected me.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:53 am
So my interest in movies really stems from my love of pop culture in general, and I'll always see something if I think it will broaden my horizons. Unfortunately, between my full-time job and social life, I'm finding less and less time for a comprehensive film library.

Last edited by munroe on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:18 pm
My favorite films in alphabetical order: (it takes too much effort to rank them)

Amadeus
Before Sunrise
Blue (3 color trilogy)
Capturing the Friedmans
Cinema Paradiso
Cries & Whispers
Good Night & Good Luck
Raise the Red Lantern
Say Anything
Stand by Me
The Sweet Hereafter
This is Spinal Tap
When Harry Met Sally
all Johnny Depp movies. :)

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:59 pm
sheryl wrote:
My favorite films in alphabetical order: (it takes too much effort to rank them)

Amadeus
Before Sunrise
Blue (3 color trilogy)
Capturing the Friedmans
Cinema Paradiso
Cries & Whispers
Good Night & Good Luck
Raise the Red Lantern
Say Anything
Stand by Me
The Sweet Hereafter
This is Spinal Tap
When Harry Met Sally

I'm ashamed to say that of all the films you've mentioned (excluding the "all Johnny Depp movies" thing) I've only seen four.

I think I still have a lot of moviewatching ahead, heh.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:03 pm
sheryl wrote:

Amadeus
Before Sunrise
Blue (3 color trilogy)
Capturing the Friedmans
Cinema Paradiso
Cries & Whispers
Good Night & Good Luck
Raise the Red Lantern
Say Anything
Stand by Me
The Sweet Hereafter
This is Spinal Tap
When Harry Met Sally

Great list Cheryl,

Cinema Paradiso is surely the best film about the magic of cinema itself
Don't you think that Before Sunrise is just incredibly romantic?
and (as a parent) Sweet Hereafter has to be the saddest
but....
Pirates of the Caribbean 3 :-)

Cheers
Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:10 pm
[but....Pirates of the Caribbean 3 :-)
Cheers
Rob[/quote]

Pirates of the Caribbean 3 is not that bad if you watch it muted while you're cooking or something...

Cry-baby might be a better choice... at least Johnny Depp sings in the movie...

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 pm
Does BBC or A&E's "Pride & Prejudice" count as a "movie?" If yes, it's definitely in my top 10. One of the best screen adaptations of a book. I read this book at least once a year. Clearly, I enjoy romantic-comedies.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:37 pm
The maelstrom scene toward the end of Pirates 3 is pretty fun. It's kind of like a redemption for sitting through the other two hours. I remember when I saw it in the theater, I was adjusting my right leg and I ended up kicking the head of the dude in front of me. I almost lol'd because his delivery of WHAT THE was genius.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 pm
sheryl wrote:
[but....Pirates of the Caribbean 3 :-)
Cheers
Rob

Pirates of the Caribbean 3 is not that bad if you watch it muted while you're cooking or something...

Cry-baby might be a better choice... at least Johnny Depp sings in the movie...[/quote]

Sheryl

I'm just teasing. I love cooking and bought a house last year. the key consideration was that the kitchen and lounge was one room and i could watch my home theater while I cook and eat.

My two sons love the Pirates movies and we did a trilogy a few weeks ago. I actually enjoyed part 3 alot more than the first time.

Now Cry baby is wonderful!

Have you seen Secret Window - where he's an author in a little house in the countryside. I really liked that movie.

Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:14 pm
Yes I have seen Secret Window. I remember liking it. I am very biased with Johnny Depp films so I enjoy watching his movies - even the bad ones like The Ninth Gate and Astronaut's Wife. Of all the movies listed in Depp's filmography at IMDB, I have seen all but 10 (lol that's kinda pathetic). Coincidentally, I have seen most of Burton's films (except the TV stuff and the films he made in the late 70s). He is one of my fave directors.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 pm
sheryl wrote:
Yes I have seen Secret Window. I remember liking it. I am very biased with Johnny Depp films so I enjoy watching his movies - even the bad ones like The Ninth Gate and Astronaut's Wife. Of all the movies listed in Depp's filmography at IMDB, I have seen all but 10 (lol that's kinda pathetic). Coincidentally, I have seen most of Burton's films (except the TV stuff and the films he made in the late 70s). He is one of my fave directors.

Sheryl,

I think I am even more pathetic, if that's the description of us Depp fans :-)

My favorites of his are:
Gilbert Grape, Ed Wood, Don Juan, Dead Man, Sleepy Hollow, Chocolate Factory, Donnie Brasco

Like you, I've seen all but about ten of them.

Rob

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:53 pm
I am looking forward to the new Burton/Depp collaboration - Alice in Wonderland. I think it's scheduled for release next year.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:05 pm
sheryl wrote:
I am looking forward to the new Burton/Depp collaboration - Alice in Wonderland. I think it's scheduled for release next year.

If this was the 90's I would be excited for whatever Tim Burton is making. But since I haven't liked anything he's done since Sleepy Hollow and officially losing all faith in him after Sweeney Todd, it's kinda hard to be excited.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:11 pm
Patrick wrote:
sheryl wrote:

If this was the 90's I would be excited for whatever Tim Burton is making. But since I haven't liked anything he's done since Sleepy Hollow and officially losing all faith in him after Sweeney Todd, it's kinda hard to be excited.

Patrick

Come on. He has an amazing visual style and seems to have the gothic sensibility nicely sorted.

He's always worth checking out

Rob

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:44 pm
Robert Holloway wrote:
Patrick wrote:
sheryl wrote:

Patrick

Come on. He has an amazing visual style and seems to have the gothic sensibility nicely sorted.

He's always worth checking out

Rob

But the problem with Burton is that he's gotten complacent and lazy. It's like he's thinking "I've got Depp, I got my incredibly hot British wife and I'm Tim Burton. Let's make a movie. It won't matter how mediocre it is, I'm Tim Burton. People will still love it. Now to sleep with my incredibly hot British wife in my bed made of the money of laziness."

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:52 pm
I thought Burton had a slow period of Mars Attacks through Planet of the Apes.

But everything Big Fish onward has been great in my opinion. I loved the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next