Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..? 
Author Message
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
ill have go.
now, i dont rate and make lists and top 100s and things like that, just not how i roll. so here's some that come to mind right now, take the info into mind that i haven't seen a big load of great movies that i know i ought to, so this will be easily revisable and personal preferences come into play, however stupid. if i was making a greatest movies list, maybe some here wont make it.. :)

the sweet hereafter
requiem for a dream
pan's labyrinth
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
- a no brainer. this one................................................... :lol:
let the right one in. - maybe cuz its recent.
the deer hunter
godfather I & II
south park - bigger, longer & uncut
- funny as hell and awesome when repeated. seen this 10 times in 2 months easy and i dont look like im gonna slow down. also, maybe the recent thing's working here too. my viewing is recent, not the movie. :)
Micheal Clayton -- i like this. i know this isn't gonna resonate much. maybe not even with me a year or 2 in the future.
holy shit, almost forgot lost in translation.

so..there, needless to say, in no particular order. figuring tha out will take another 20 mins.i wanna squeeze pulp fiction in there, but....screw it. OH EMMM GEEEE!!! i forgot the truman show. so lets just call it my top 12 or something.


Last edited by aameen on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:21 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Bump

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Last edited by DunkinDan89 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Robert Holloway wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
A Top 10 is almost impossible to come up with, but I suppose I'll give it a go.

10. Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I love John Huston and Bogart. Rewatching it after learning that PTA watched it while writing "There Will Be Blood", it is easy to notice similarities between Bogart's and Day-Lewis' characters decent into madness.
9. Dr. Strangelove - Didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it gets funnier and funnier everytime I see it. Everyone raves about Sellers, but I personally love George C. Scott more.
8. Pulp Fiction - Post modernism at it's finest. Easily the most influential film of the 90s and 00s.
7. Unforgiven - As a huge Western fan, the revisionist text is a thing of beauty. Eastwood, Hackman, and Freeman are flawless.
6. Lawrence of Arabia - I was fortunate enough to see this on the big screen a few months ago at the AFI Theater in Silver Spring, MD (I believe it's the only AFI theater in the country). What an experience. This is THE epic IMO.
5. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Leone's masterpiece.
4. Citizen Kane - Seems like a cliche choice, but all American filmmaking requires a thorough knowledge of this film. It's also entertaining as hell.
3. Fargo - The Coens are the best contemporary filmmakers, and this is their best. From camerawork, to script, to acting, this is a perfect film.
2. Goodfellas - Best mob movie ever made. I love that it deglamorizes the mafia lifestyle and tells the story of the regular guys in the mob. The camerawork isn't too shabby either.
1. The Maltese Falcon - Huston and Bogey again. Film noir starts here, and it couldn't be better. Fantastic use of the Macguffin to set off a character study about the humanity of the darker side of the world.

Anyway, that's my list as of Feb. 19, 2009. I'm sure by Feb. 20, 2009, it will be different.


Hey PeachyPete
It's now Mid march
What changed :-)
Rob


Well, since you asked..... :)

If I were to redo this list, I would think long and hard about putting 'Vertigo' in there. I recently caught a screening of it, and fell completely and utterly in love with it. I'd seen it a few times before, thought it was excellent, but didn't have a passionate love for it. For whatever reason, this time everything just clicked right for me. I think my favorite thing about watching it is noticing how Hitchcock uses the color green in just about every scene in a multitude of ways. It's fantastic.

Also, I'd consider adding something from Woody Allen on here. My favorite is 'Crimes and Misdemeanors', but I'm not sure it should be included with any of the titles I already listed. I personally love it, I'm just not sure if it belongs with the classics I have mentioned.

Maybe a few other changes, but nothing else jumps out at me at the moment. Check back in another month or so if you're still interested in my ever-changing tastes. :D


Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:45 pm
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Top ten is so hard--and this list would probably be different tomorrow . . .

Favorites, not best movies:

1. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
2. It's a Wonderful Life
3. Alien
4. The Godfather
5. Decalogue
6. Three Colors Trilogy
7. Children of Nature
8. North by Northwest
9. Unforgiven
10. Yojimbo
11. Solaris
12. Aliens
13. Sprited Away
14. Master and Commander
15. Crimes and Misdemeanors
16. Ratatouille
17. The Straight Story
18. The Right Stuff
19. Casablanca
20. Apollo 13


Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 pm
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
check out my list.

http://www.filmgazing.com/top100.html


i'm updating this list EVERY year for the rest of my life, so as i see more and more films, the list will get better and better! Keep in mind, i'm only 19.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:03 pm
Director
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 1142
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
moulton4 wrote:
check out my list.

http://www.filmgazing.com/top100.html


i'm updating this list EVERY year for the rest of my life, so as i see more and more films, the list will get better and better! Keep in mind, i'm only 19.


I'm 19 as well. Pretty good list from what I can see. The only real ones we disagree with are "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (way too long for me, a lot of uninteresting characters), "Atonement" (maybe I'm missing the artistic perspective on it or something, but if I did what James McAvoy did to Keira Knightly, I would've got my ass handed to me, yet he gets sex out of it?), and "Shawshank" (it's good, but I still think its probably the most overrated movie of all-time, that's just me).

That said, for the most part, good list, if I can think of it, I'll come up with a Top 100 list myself one day. By the way, I read your review on "Adventureland", I'm very interested in seeing that. Just wondering how you get to screen the movies in advance, your a student right?

_________________
My blog: http://dunkindan89.blogspot.com/

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*


Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Assassination of Jesse James isn't on my list yet is it? haha it will be though, i loved that film.
Next years list will be so different, i look at that list and cringe at some points already haha.

Yeah, here at Michigan State they offer free screenings in advance from time to time! They're showing "Observe and Report" on Thursday, so look for an early review of that too! Also, check out websites like filmmetro.com and gofobo.com for great information on advanced screenings!


Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:48 pm
Director

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:44 pm
Posts: 1439
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Quote:
check out my list.

http://www.filmgazing.com/top100.html


i'm updating this list EVERY year for the rest of my life, so as i see more and more films, the list will get better and better! Keep in mind, i'm only 19.


just curious, how did you get into old musicals? I'm guessing there aren't many 19 year olds who would list 3 Fred Astaire films among their favorite films.


Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:24 pm
Profile
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
calvero wrote:
just curious, how did you get into old musicals? I'm guessing there aren't many 19 year olds who would list 3 Fred Astaire films among their favorite films.



Hahaha very true. I just love the innocence of those films, the escape and the talent. Old musicals, for me, have a power that almost no other films have: they can completely take you to another place. Meaning, being made amidst the great depression and WWII, these films had the clear cut, simplistic purpose of entertaining and injecting joy into a, well, depressed society. They are unlike anything you see today, and that gives them charm. Not to mention the talent of Astaire and Rogers. How often do you see actors today sing and dance and act, while doing all 3 with equal talent?


Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:43 pm
Gaffer

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 pm
Posts: 13
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
First 5 cemented top 5 for a while now. The rest, a bit more malleable.


1. Lawrence Of Arabia
2. Doctor Zhivago
3. Godfather I + II
4. It's A Wonderful Life
5. Casablanca
6. JFK
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
(I truly loved this one, not just pretentiousness)
8. Seven Samurai
9. Boogie Nights
10. Jean De Florette/Manon Des Sources (Thanks James for that recommendation through your top 100)
11. High Noon
12. Almost Famous
13. The Great Escape
14. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (I'm a Bond nut)
15. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
16. El Cid
17. Munich
18. Ben Hur
19. LA Confidential
20. Superman

Hon Mentions: Empire Strikes Back, Indy 3, Z, Vertigo


Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 pm
Profile
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
eoxixis wrote:
First 5 cemented top 5 for a while now. The rest, a bit more malleable.


1. Lawrence Of Arabia
2. Doctor Zhivago
3. Godfather I + II
4. It's A Wonderful Life
5. Casablanca
6. JFK
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
(I truly loved this one, not just pretentiousness)
8. Seven Samurai
9. Boogie Nights
10. Jean De Florette/Manon Des Sources (Thanks James for that recommendation through your top 100)
11. High Noon
12. Almost Famous
13. The Great Escape
14. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (I'm a Bond nut)
15. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
16. El Cid
17. Munich
18. Ben Hur
19. LA Confidential
20. Superman

Hon Mentions: Empire Strikes Back, Indy 3, Z, Vertigo



David Lean fan, huh? Have you ever seen The Bridge on the River Kwai? It's another fantastic Lean film.


Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:32 am
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
moulton4 wrote:
check out my list.

http://www.filmgazing.com/top100.html


i'm updating this list EVERY year for the rest of my life, so as i see more and more films, the list will get better and better! Keep in mind, i'm only 19.


Peter Jackson's King Kong in your top 5? The over-long, over-hyped and under-entertaining King Kong? Have you seen the '33 King Kong...that's a masterpiece.


Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 am
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Patrick wrote:
moulton4 wrote:
check out my list.

http://www.filmgazing.com/top100.html


i'm updating this list EVERY year for the rest of my life, so as i see more and more films, the list will get better and better! Keep in mind, i'm only 19.


Peter Jackson's King Kong in your top 5? The over-long, over-hyped and under-entertaining King Kong? Have you seen the '33 King Kong...that's a masterpiece.


Seen both actually. He gave it the exact treatment it deserved: epic. Epic in every way. People may think its too long, but not many would support your "under-entertaining" claim. As for overhyped, the film was actually a mild flop at the box-office. It's not top 5 material, but it still holds a near and dear place in my heart!


Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:28 pm
Gaffer

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 pm
Posts: 13
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
PeachyPete wrote:
eoxixis wrote:
First 5 cemented top 5 for a while now. The rest, a bit more malleable.


1. Lawrence Of Arabia
2. Doctor Zhivago
3. Godfather I + II
4. It's A Wonderful Life
5. Casablanca
6. JFK
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
(I truly loved this one, not just pretentiousness)
8. Seven Samurai
9. Boogie Nights
10. Jean De Florette/Manon Des Sources (Thanks James for that recommendation through your top 100)
11. High Noon
12. Almost Famous
13. The Great Escape
14. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (I'm a Bond nut)
15. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
16. El Cid
17. Munich
18. Ben Hur
19. LA Confidential
20. Superman

Hon Mentions: Empire Strikes Back, Indy 3, Z, Vertigo



David Lean fan, huh? Have you ever seen The Bridge on the River Kwai? It's another fantastic Lean film.


I have and it's on top there, although not as quite as the other ones. If only William Holden (who I like in many other movies) were not so present in Bridge..


Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:02 am
Profile
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
1. The Godfather
2. Lord of the Rings
3. Braveheart
4. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
5. Schindler's List
6. Seven Samurai
7. Gladiator
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
9. Taxi Driver
10. Pulp Fiction
11. Casablanca
12. Raging Bull
13. Fight Club
14. Rounders
15. Memento
16. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
17. Unforgiven
18. Goodfellas
19. American Psycho
20. The Big Lebowski


Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:29 pm
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Image

11. Scenes From a Marriage
12. The Empire Strikes Back
13. It's a Wonderful Life
14. A Short Film About Love
15. Pulp Fiction
16. Once Upon a Time in America
17. The Seventh Seal
18. Raging Bull
19. Grave of the Fireflies
20. Spirited Away

I recently revised my top 100. These are my next ten. I'd put it in my signature, but James has banned pictures. I guess I'm cheating the system with my current one.


Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:28 am
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
PeachyPete wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
A Top 10 is almost impossible to come up with, but I suppose I'll give it a go.

10. Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I love John Huston and Bogart. Rewatching it after learning that PTA watched it while writing "There Will Be Blood", it is easy to notice similarities between Bogart's and Day-Lewis' characters decent into madness.
9. Dr. Strangelove - Didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it gets funnier and funnier everytime I see it. Everyone raves about Sellers, but I personally love George C. Scott more.
8. Pulp Fiction - Post modernism at it's finest. Easily the most influential film of the 90s and 00s.
7. Unforgiven - As a huge Western fan, the revisionist text is a thing of beauty. Eastwood, Hackman, and Freeman are flawless.
6. Lawrence of Arabia - I was fortunate enough to see this on the big screen a few months ago at the AFI Theater in Silver Spring, MD (I believe it's the only AFI theater in the country). What an experience. This is THE epic IMO.
5. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Leone's masterpiece.
4. Citizen Kane - Seems like a cliche choice, but all American filmmaking requires a thorough knowledge of this film. It's also entertaining as hell.
3. Fargo - The Coens are the best contemporary filmmakers, and this is their best. From camerawork, to script, to acting, this is a perfect film.
2. Goodfellas - Best mob movie ever made. I love that it deglamorizes the mafia lifestyle and tells the story of the regular guys in the mob. The camerawork isn't too shabby either.
1. The Maltese Falcon - Huston and Bogey again. Film noir starts here, and it couldn't be better. Fantastic use of the Macguffin to set off a character study about the humanity of the darker side of the world.

Anyway, that's my list as of Feb. 19, 2009. I'm sure by Feb. 20, 2009, it will be different.


Hey PeachyPete
It's now Mid march
What changed :-)
Rob


Well, since you asked..... :)

If I were to redo this list, I would think long and hard about putting 'Vertigo' in there. I recently caught a screening of it, and fell completely and utterly in love with it. I'd seen it a few times before, thought it was excellent, but didn't have a passionate love for it. For whatever reason, this time everything just clicked right for me. I think my favorite thing about watching it is noticing how Hitchcock uses the color green in just about every scene in a multitude of ways. It's fantastic.

Also, I'd consider adding something from Woody Allen on here. My favorite is 'Crimes and Misdemeanors', but I'm not sure it should be included with any of the titles I already listed. I personally love it, I'm just not sure if it belongs with the classics I have mentioned.

Maybe a few other changes, but nothing else jumps out at me at the moment. Check back in another month or so if you're still interested in my ever-changing tastes. :D



Ah hah, another one falls for Vertigo! Welcome aboard - a wise and sensible choice :-)
Rob


Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:41 am
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
Tuco wrote:
Top ten is so hard--and this list would probably be different tomorrow . . .

Favorites, not best movies:

1. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
2. It's a Wonderful Life
3. Alien
4. The Godfather
5. Decalogue
6. Three Colors Trilogy
7. Children of Nature
8. North by Northwest
9. Unforgiven
10. Yojimbo
11. Solaris
12. Aliens
13. Sprited Away
14. Master and Commander
15. Crimes and Misdemeanors
16. Ratatouille
17. The Straight Story
18. The Right Stuff
19. Casablanca
20. Apollo 13



Man, you have great taste, I'm rolling about laughing over your choices at 2 & 19. And we both know why :-)
Rob

PS - Nice to see rare love for Straight Story - I cried at the end
PPS - Surprised at the admiralation for Master & Commander ?


Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:44 am
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
eoxixis wrote:
First 5 cemented top 5 for a while now. The rest, a bit more malleable.


1. Lawrence Of Arabia
2. Doctor Zhivago
3. Godfather I + II
4. It's A Wonderful Life
5. Casablanca
6. JFK
7. 2001: A Space Odyssey
(I truly loved this one, not just pretentiousness)
8. Seven Samurai
9. Boogie Nights
10. Jean De Florette/Manon Des Sources (Thanks James for that recommendation through your top 100)
11. High Noon
12. Almost Famous
13. The Great Escape
14. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (I'm a Bond nut)
15. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
16. El Cid
17. Munich
18. Ben Hur
19. LA Confidential
20. Superman

Hon Mentions: Empire Strikes Back, Indy 3, Z, Vertigo


Nice list - A David lean fan. I'm surprised at the ranking of Dr. Zhivago. Can you elucidate :-)
Rob


Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:46 am
Post Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Films Are..?
moulton4 wrote:
check out my list.

http://www.filmgazing.com/top100.html


i'm updating this list EVERY year for the rest of my life, so as i see more and more films, the list will get better and better! Keep in mind, i'm only 19.



Hi Moulton

I hope you know me well enough by now to understand these comments and take them in the spirit they are intended

I really like your web site and would encourage anyone to visit as the reviews are excellent and I'm in awe that you're 19!!

The range of films is also extraordinary if you're really only 19 - I'm envious

However, i don't understand your top ten. can you give us some context about the types of films you love and why these films sit in there. I'm not in the slightest saying you're wrong (i can't because it's a subjective choice) I'm just confused. i guess I'm just trying to understand hw you see movies to better appreciate the films you choose.

Thanks
Rob


Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:53 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr