Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Good Voice-work 
Post Good Voice-work
I wasn't a fan of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland but I did like the voice work a lot. There was the great Alan Rickman (oh, what a voice!) as the Blue Caterpillar, Stephen Fry (another great voice actor) as the Cheshire Cat and the underrated Timothy Spall as Bayard the dog.

What other voice performances do you like (try to give the movie/role as opposed to the actor)? It doesn't have to be animated. Live-action narrators are perfectly welcome.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:43 pm
Producer

Post Re: Good Voice-work
Ed Asner and Christopher Plummer in Up
Robin Williams in Aladdin
Tom Hanks and Tim Allen in the Toy Story movies
Albert Brooks in Finding Nemo
Kevin Spacey in A Bug's Life
Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, Larry the Cable guy in Cars

As far as live action goes I've got 2 words for you:

Darth Vader - James Earl Jones IS the man!

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:07 pm
I can't get enough of Alec Baldwin's narration at the beginning of The Royal Tenenbaums.

Morgan Freeman narrates everything, so fuck him.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:00 pm
Two from live-action, two from animation.

Live-action: One scene, and only one, in Persona has narration by Ingmar Bergman. Out of nowhere comes the director to comment on Alma's decision to stay on the island. Very quick and surprising, the first of two times Bergman appears in the film and the first time the audience learns that they're not just watching a movie, they're watching Bergman make a movie. The second time he appears in the film he's shown with his crew directing a scene.

Samuel L. pops up twice in Inglourious Basterds. He explains the 'origins' of Hugo Stiglitz and later explains the plan to blow up the theater (with a nice lesson on acetate). These two bits of narration are beyond cool, Tarantino making it clear what movies can do and (before the big fire) what only movies can do.

From animation: Tom Hanks is Woody. The greatest voice performance that I've heard/seen. Hanks remembered that you have to actually act in order to get the character right... see Kevin Spacey's mediocre turn in A Bug's Life for what it sounds like when someone forgets this.

You have to go to the Japanese-language track to hear it but, if you listen to the original soundtrack for Spirited Away you'll get Rumi Hîragi's wonderfully dramatic performance as Chihiro. Really melodious stuff that adds an extra layer of depth to an already perfect movie.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:29 pm
All of the Disney dubs of Miyazaki's films have been excellent, the only Japanese dub I prefer out of the bunch is for Kiki's Delivery Service.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:18 pm
Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker. I would bet that most 20-somethings who ever read a Batman comic were hearing those voices come out of the characters' mouths.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 am
I asked that we specify a role instead of an actor because I so intend to cheat.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film didn't really work but Alan Rickman was absolutely perfect as Marvin the paranoid android. I don't think any other actor alive or dead could have nailed the role like he did.

You know who else was really good in that movie? The voice of Stephen Fry! With him as the voice of "The Guide" you never feel the need to panic.

I'm off to look up what other movies both Alan Rickman and Stephen Fry did voice work in...

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm
Assistant Director

ed_metal_head wrote:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film didn't really work but Alan Rickman was absolutely perfect as Marvin the paranoid android. I don't think any other actor alive or dead could have nailed the role like he did.

Damnt, Ed. I was just going to say that. Poop.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:47 pm
John Ratzenberger in Toy Story
Billy West as Dr. Zoidberg, Phillip J Fry...and Stimpy of course!
Frank Oz...for every freaken Muppet he voiced

That's all I can think of for now...

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:21 pm
Colin wrote:
John Ratzenberger in Toy Story
Billy West as Dr. Zoidberg, Phillip J Fry...and Stimpy of course!
Frank Oz...for every freaken Muppet he voiced

That's all I can think of for now...

Good choices. Ratzenberger is in every frickin Pixar movie there is so it's interesting that you've singled out Toy Story.

Totally agree with Frank Oz. I'd like to piggyback your choice and submit his voice work as Yoda. Certainly one of the most memorable voices of all time.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:32 am
Director

Chuck Jones in a slew of Looney Tunes.

I thought Miley Cyrus did just fine in Bolt. Actually the other actors were fine, too.
Samuel E. Wright as Sebastian the Crab in The Little Mermaid.
Liv Ullman in The Danish Poet.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:32 pm
I have young kids, so Pixar is heavily played in our house.

Ellen Degeneres as Dory
Patton Oswalt as Remy
Peter O'Toole as Anton Ego

and, unexpectedly, Craig T. Nelson as Mr. Incredible.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:57 pm
I have always liked Minnie Driver's performance as Jane in Disney's Tarzan.

"At least things can't get any worse." (it rains) "Yes, they can."

(Tarzan is touching her dress) "Get off! (giggle), get off! (giggle), GET ORFF!"

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:47 am
I'm not a big fan of Seth MacFarlane but he can do some good voices. I particularly liked his small role in Hellboy II: The Golden Army especially when he tells them to "shoot it in the energy ganglion". Weird, I know, but still something that stood out for some reason.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 pm
Alex wrote:
I have always liked Minnie Driver's performance as Jane in Disney's Tarzan.

She also brought a good amount of humanity to her character in Princess Mononoke.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 pm
Director

One I'd forgotten was Surf's Up!, the animated penguin surfing movie with Shia LaBoeuf, Zooey Deschanel, James Woods and Jeff Bridges (who was born to play the part of a surfing penguin). I like the movie a lot more than Happy Feet.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 pm
Syd Henderson wrote:
That would be Mel Blanc, most likely.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:21 am
Director

Ken wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:
That would be Mel Blanc, most likely.

Uh, yeah.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:23 pm
Awf Hand wrote:
I have young kids, so Pixar is heavily played in our house.

Ellen Degeneres as Dory
Patton Oswalt as Remy
Peter O'Toole as Anton Ego

and, unexpectedly, Craig T. Nelson as Mr. Incredible.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Those Pixar folk sure know how to pick them, no? Ellen did some stuff with Dory, didn't she. The whole, "I'm home" talk near the end there. Who knew?

I'm also quite fond of Bonnie Hunt's voice in her Pixar films. And then there's Kristen Schaal as Trixie (the other dinosaur) in Toy Story 3. And now that I'm thinking dinosaur, Wallace Shawn, as Rex. Brilliant!

I should probably give more credit to those that cast at Pixar, because I'm realizing I could go on and on and on with the incredible voice work that goes on in their films.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:37 am
Mike Rowe, of Dirty Jobs fame, has narrated a number of documentaries, some of which have very little to do with slime, muck, or goo. His voice is excellent for that kind of work: pleasant to listen to, great enunciation and flow, and when needed, traces of humor.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:27 pm