Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Top ten Catalog(non 2010) Films of last year 
Post Re: Top ten Catalog(non 2010) Films of last year
Blonde Almond wrote:
I can't remember far back enough last year to make any kind of comprehensive list. I only started keeping track of my film viewing in the final three months of the year, so I'm going to highlight the best films from that time period, in the order in which I saw them:

La Dolce Vita
The Sweet Hereafter
Eyes Without A Face
Chop Shop
Waltz With Bashir
Candyman
The Cove
Ace In The Hole
Fitzcarraldo
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Walkabout
Ikiru

I saw Ace in the Hole last year too. I bought it, actually. Excellent film. Kirk Douglas is really something. I don't know if he was acting or being himself, but it's a hell of a performance either way. The ending is pretty great, too. So cynical and much ahead of its time.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:05 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
Great question Joel. It's difficult for me to rank these so I'll simply list my 10 favourite ones (and 10 runners-up). I saw a bunch of good 2009 releases in 2010 so I'm leaving those off to make things more interesting, however this list still won't be as great as the fantastic list Josh has offered:

The 10 best (in random order):

The White Ribbon
(2009) - I lied about that 2009 thing. The White Ribbon is in my top 3 of 2009 and would probably be my favourite film if it was released in 2010.

L'atalante (1934) - This disappointed me a little (it's listed as the 16th best film of all time) but it's still great. And, certain scenes are surprisingly sensual.

Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005) - John Hawkes fans take note! ))<>((

Network (1976) - mad as hell that I didn't catch this earlier. Very relevant today, no?

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) - certainly one of Woody's top 5 films (though I blot my copybook by saying the top 5 might include Match Point)

What's Up, Doc? (1972) - Peter Bogdanovich's screwball picture is probably the funniest I've seen this year.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) - hat-tip to ram1312. The secret is in her eyes.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God
(1972) - I would have given this a 10 if not for the obvious dubbing. Possibly the best film I've seen this year.

Toy Story 2 (1999) - I never saw any Toy Story picture until this year. All three are fine films, but this is the best.

Crash (1996) - I'll keep saying this is the best movie called "Crash" until Josh is ready to kill me.

The runners-up:

The Killing (1956) - Stanley Kubrick + film-noir + shadows = great success!

Baby Doll (1956) - Eli Wallach seducing a foxy married virgin (yes, you read right). Mmmmmm.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) - Pure madness, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) - one of the best ever movies about food.

Winchester '73 (1950) - My first Jimmy Stewart/Mann film and it was damn good.

A Christmas Tale (2008) - A not so Merry Christmas, or: the funniest movie in the cancer/mental illness genre.

Trouble in Paradise (1932) - Ernst Lubitsch was the Billy Wilder of the 30s. The two write eerily similar dialogue.

Boy A (2007) - Everything in its right place. How to Disappear Completely. Idioteque. Need I say more?

Little Manhattan (2005) - it's just sooooooo cute and sweet.

Monsoon Wedding (2001) - The better of two fine Mira Nair flicks I caught this year.

Some really good films. I originally put Me and You and Everyone You Know in my 10 until I realized I saw it in 2009, not 2010.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:48 am
JamesKunz wrote:
Point 1: I don't think you know what 'dovetail' means.

Point 2: Trouble in Paradise is a delightful film and even if Ninotchka is a little better (I haven't seen it) you shouldn't dissuade people from seeing it because, after all, it's delightful.

Well that was certainly an embarrassing error. I'm currently dovetailing myself a hole to lie in.

However, I'm pleased that Pete did manage to decipher my message. I listed Trouble in Paradise among the best movies I'd seen last year so I certainly don't intend to dissuade anyone from seeing it. Quite the opposite, in fact. I was merely offering a counter-suggestion which I felt would be a better introduction to Lubitsch. I also listed the placing on the top 1000 lists specifically so that he had enough information to disregard my counter-recommendation if he so chose.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:48 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Point 1: I don't think you know what 'dovetail' means.

Point 2: Trouble in Paradise is a delightful film and even if Ninotchka is a little better (I haven't seen it) you shouldn't dissuade people from seeing it because, after all, it's delightful.

Well that was certainly an embarrassing error. I'm currently dovetailing myself a hole to lie in.

However, I'm pleased that Pete did manage to decipher my message. I listed Trouble in Paradise among the best movies I'd seen last year so I certainly don't intend to dissuade anyone from seeing it. Quite the opposite, in fact. I was merely offering a counter-suggestion which I felt would be a better introduction to Lubitsch. I also listed the placing on the top 1000 lists specifically so that he had enough information to disregard my counter-recommendation if he so chose.

Oh I'm sorry I misinterpreted you Ed. It was certainly not my goal. The upshot of the whole situation though is that I want to see Ninotchka now.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:55 pm
Wow, I did not realize how hard it would be to narrow this down to 10 titles when I started picking through titles on my movie list. Needless to say, I saw a lot of amazing films in 2010 and I hope to keep that up in 2011. Now, here's ten titles and ten more runner-ups (because there's no way I'd manage just 10):

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
Juliet of the Spirits
Fellini Satyricon
The Spirit of the Beehive
Intolerance: Love's Struggles Through the Ages
Coup de Torchon
Moulin Rouge!
Trapeze
Dogville
My Neighbor Totoro

And the runner-ups:

Baby Doll
Audition
The Mirror
Performance
A Taste of Cherry
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
Rome, Open City
A Confucian Confusion
Lola Montes
Diary of a Country Priest

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:54 pm
Zeppelin wrote:
Wow, I did not realize how hard it would be to narrow this down to 10 titles when I started picking through titles on my movie list. Needless to say, I saw a lot of amazing films in 2010 and I hope to keep that up in 2011. Now, here's ten titles and ten more runner-ups (because there's no way I'd manage just 10):

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
Juliet of the Spirits
Fellini Satyricon
The Spirit of the Beehive
Intolerance: Love's Struggles Through the Ages
Coup de Torchon
Moulin Rouge!
Trapeze
Dogville
My Neighbor Totoro

And the runner-ups:

Baby Doll
Audition
The Mirror
Performance
A Taste of Cherry
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
Rome, Open City
A Confucian Confusion
Lola Montes
Diary of a Country Priest

Tarkovsky only made it into the runner-up section? Young man, you are faltering. Glad to see another Baby Doll mention though. Kind of sexy, huh? And that Eli Wallach. He'll probably be remembered solely as "The Ugly" but he has some really impressive stuff out there.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:55 am
I find it impossible to rank the best films I’ve seen in 2010 from 1 to 10. My favourite first-time viewings in 2010 were

Top 4 - 9/10 (excellent)
Au Revoir, les enfants,
Inception
Manhattan
The White Ribbon

Top 5 to 25 - 8/10 (very good)
Coraline
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Dog Day Afternoon
Irreversible
Jacob’s Ladder
The King of Comedy
The Lives of Others
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril
The long Good Friday
Mary and Max
My Neighbour Totoro
Night Moves
Pom Poko
A Prophet
Purple Noon
Things to Come
Throne of Blood
Time of the Wolf
Toy Story
World on a Wire

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:50 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Zeppelin wrote:
Lists and stuff

Tarkovsky only made it into the runner-up section? Young man, you are faltering. Glad to see another Baby Doll mention though. Kind of sexy, huh? And that Eli Wallach. He'll probably be remembered solely as "The Ugly" but he has some really impressive stuff out there.

If I could have had my way, The Mirror, A Taste of Cherry and Performance all would have been in that top section, but instead I decided to play by the rules and actually do ten films. Also, Claire Denis' The Intruder would have made it too. Don't know how I forgot that.

Baby Doll isn't just kind of sexy; one of the scenes in there (you know the one, Eddy) made me want to furiously hump for days. Maybe not the sexiest film out there, but easily the one that most pulls off being completely soaked in eroticism and still being a fantastic piece of filmmaking. Now who said the 1950s American cinema didn't have balls?

And Eli Wallach? I've only seen the two films you mentioned, but he knocked the ball out of the park in both. The man's got loads of talent, not to mention the secret to immortality. Him and Manoel de Oliveira should make a film together some time.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm
Unke wrote:
Time of the Wolf

Cool. I love that movie and I like how it can accurately be labeled "hoperful". The last shot is one of my very favorites.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:06 pm
Critic

Zeppelin wrote:
one of the scenes in there (you know the one, Eddy) made me want to furiously hump for days.

Roffle.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:21 pm
Director

Quote:
I should point out the this is the lesser of two Lubitsch films I've seen. Both are excellent, but Trouble in Paradise dovetails a bit at the end. Ninotchka would be a better starting point (of course, this is just my opinion. The Top 1000 list rates Trouble In Paradise much higher).

TCM is showing 5 Lubitsch films on Friday: Shop Around The Corner, To Be Or Not To Be, Ninotchka, The Merry Widow, Trouble In Paradise

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 pm
calvero wrote:
Quote:
I should point out the this is the lesser of two Lubitsch films I've seen. Both are excellent, but Trouble in Paradise dovetails a bit at the end. Ninotchka would be a better starting point (of course, this is just my opinion. The Top 1000 list rates Trouble In Paradise much higher).

TCM is showing 5 Lubitsch films on Friday: Shop Around The Corner, To Be Or Not To Be, Ninotchka, The Merry Widow, Trouble In Paradise

Sweet. I hope a few folks were able to watch/DVR the marathon.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 pm
Director

Lawrence of Arabia
Where The Wild Things Are
High and Low
The Hurt Locker
A Fish Called Wanda
Monty Python And The Holy Grail
Being John Malkovich
Dead Man Walking
Ratatoullie
Black Book

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:09 pm
Profile YIM
corpen11 wrote:
Lawrence of Arabia
Where The Wild Things Are
High and Low
The Hurt Locker
A Fish Called Wanda
Monty Python And The Holy Grail
Being John Malkovich
Dead Man Walking
Ratatoullie
Black Book

That's a pretty good list. I wish I could go back and see The Holy Grail for the first time again.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm
Special Mentions: Vertigo and Blue Velvet, films I watched for the second time and loved.

10. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
9. Koyaanisqatsi
8. 35 Shots of Rum
7. Safety Last!
6. Don't Look Now
5. 2046
4. The Thin Blue Line
3. Dogtooth
2. Dogville
1. Cache

This particular list skews newer, but if I had a list like this for 2009, it'd probably have more older [foreign] films (e.g. Solaris) because that was when I was doing the country focus.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:36 pm
Pedro wrote:
3. Dogtooth
2. Dogville
1. Cache

I really like your picks for 1 and 3, obviously. Especially your #1. Obviously.

I need to see Dogville again; when I checked it out the first time (2003? 04?) I thought it was all kinds of aggravating but I'm a semi-different person than I was then and expect that I'd really, really, really like it. All the talk of national security and fear-mongering had really gotten to me when I saw it and Dogville seemed lie=ke more bitter politikotivityniciousness.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:57 pm
Pedro wrote:
Special Mentions: Vertigo and Blue Velvet, films I watched for the second time and loved.

10. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
9. Koyaanisqatsi
8. 35 Shots of Rum
7. Safety Last!
6. Don't Look Now
5. 2046
4. The Thin Blue Line
3. Dogtooth
2. Dogville
1. Cache

This particular list skews newer, but if I had a list like this for 2009, it'd probably have more older [foreign] films (e.g. Solaris) because that was when I was doing the country focus.

Great list, Pedrito. I know you really dug Cache, but I didn't realise that you really, really dug Cache.

The inclusion of Safety Last! is a little surprising. I like the movie well enough, but based on my limited silent picture knowledge I'd put Lloyd behind Chaplin and Keaton.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:44 pm
Director

Quote:

Quote:

Its tomorrow.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 pm
calvero wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Its tomorrow.

Whoops, I thought you meant last Friday. In that case, get cracking people!

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:15 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
calvero wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Its tomorrow.

Whoops, I thought you meant last Friday. In that case, get cracking people!

I thought he meant last Friday too and was upset I missed it. I saw they were re-airing (which apparently is their initial airing) and set all of them to record. I'm excited.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:29 pm