Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Top ten Catalog(non 2010) Films of last year 
Post Top ten Catalog(non 2010) Films of last year
Simply put, what were the top 10 movies that you discovered for the first time last year that were not released in 2010. For me:
In no order:

Yi Yi
Boy A
Little Manhattan
The African Queen
North by Northwest
Ali
The Pope of Greenwich Village
Paths of Glory
Terribly Happy
The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm
Director

Post Re: Top ten Catalog(non 2010) Films of last year
Make Way For Tomorrow
Marty
Letter From An Unknown Woman
Chop Shop
The Heiress
The Hurt Locker
Away From Her
Wendy And Lucy
High and Low
Days of Wine and Roses

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:10 pm
Critic

I have you to thank for Boy A, which might also be on my list.

I'll throw down, with annotations,

The Ballad of Narayama (1983) A movie unlike any other I've seen. Completely devoid of sentimentality, it tells the story of a village in Japan where the inhabitants live so close to death that their perspectives on life are very different than ours. Remarkable movie.

Vera Drake (2004) Hard to say I "discovered" this film in 2010 because I've really liked Mike Leigh ever since Secrets & Lies, but I think this particular one is his masterpiece.

Flirting (1991) I've touted this one on the forums a lot but I'll do it again here. If you like sweet, honest romances (and especially if you fancied yourself an outsider at school) you HAVE to see this movie.

Make Way for Tommorow (1937) Leo McCarey won Best Director in 1937 but he won it for the wrong movie (the forgettable screwball comedy The Awful Truth). Make Way For Tomorrow is the desperately sad story of two old people who find they're a burden on their children. It's so, so sad but a **** film all the way.

Defending Your Life (1991) Another one I've touted on the forums (with some success too!) but I'll keep singing its praises since Bob gave me an opening. Inventive, funny, heartwarming, and ultimately triumphant, this unjustly-forgotten movie is miles better than anything you think Albert Brooks is capable of.

The Fallen Idol (1948) Carol Reed's best film (and yes, I've seen The Third Man), this intriguing character study captivated me with its masterful photography and Hitchcock-like plot.

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) The rarest of all rare movie creatures--a courtroom drama which realizes that a man on trial for murder is enough drama for one film, and we don't need bizarre twists or amateur sleuthing. Long but excellent.

My other finds include:

Matinee (1993)
Open Your Eyes (1997)
Lucas (1986)
Bicycle Thieves (1948)

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
I have you to thank for Boy A, which might also be on my list.

I'll throw down, with annotations,

The Ballad of Narayama (1983) A movie unlike any other I've seen. Completely devoid of sentimentality, it tells the story of a village in Japan where the inhabitants live so close to death that their perspectives on life are very different than ours. Remarkable movie.

Vera Drake (2004) Hard to say I "discovered" this film in 2010 because I've really liked Mike Leigh ever since Secrets & Lies, but I think this particular one is his masterpiece.

Flirting (1991) I've touted this one on the forums a lot but I'll do it again here. If you like sweet, honest romances (and especially if you fancied yourself an outsider at school) you HAVE to see this movie.

Make Way for Tommorow (1937) Leo McCarey won Best Director in 1937 but he won it for the wrong movie (the forgettable screwball comedy The Awful Truth). Make Way For Tomorrow is the desperately sad story of two old people who find they're a burden on their children. It's so, so sad but a **** film all the way.

Defending Your Life (1991) Another one I've touted on the forums (with some success too!) but I'll keep singing its praises since Bob gave me an opening. Inventive, funny, heartwarming, and ultimately triumphant, this unjustly-forgotten movie is miles better than anything you think Albert Brooks is capable of.

The Fallen Idol (1948) Carol Reed's best film (and yes, I've seen The Third Man), this intriguing character study captivated me with its masterful photography and Hitchcock-like plot.

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) The rarest of all rare movie creatures--a courtroom drama which realizes that a man on trial for murder is enough drama for one film, and we don't need bizarre twists or amateur sleuthing. Long but excellent.

My other finds include:

Matinee (1993)
Open Your Eyes (1997)
Lucas (1986)
Bicycle Thieves (1948)

Love Defending Your Life, good call. I haven't seen Flirting in about 15 years, I am now convinced to re-visit.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:45 pm
calvero wrote:
Make Way For Tomorrow
Marty
Letter From An Unknown Woman
Chop Shop
The Heiress
The Hurt Locker
Away From Her
Wendy And Lucy
High and Low
Days of Wine and Roses

Some really good choices, particularly Marty, I haven't seen that in forever.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm
I can't give you ten, Joe, because I failed to keep track of my 2010 viewing habits. I could always search the forum for "superlative" and "majoraphasia" but I'm gonna have to go by memory. That should be reliable enough.

In no order:
Jeanne Dielman 23, quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Lawrence of Arabia
High and Low
The Earrings of Madame de...
M
It's a Wonderful Life
Paths of Glory

I also loved Hitchcock's Frenzy but believe I saw two others, titles evading me, that I liked more.

EDIT: Added a few titles.

Last edited by majoraphasia on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 pm
I've just spent the past 2 hours of a slow work day compiling this list:

1. Breathless
2. Throne of Blood
3. The Battle of Algiers
4. Cache
5. Le Cercle Rouge
6. Boogie Nights
7. It's a Wonderful Life
8. M
9. The Great Dictator
10. The Last Metro

I've seen a bunch of other great films this year too, including: Sullivan's Travels, Rififi, Paths of Glory, Le Samourai, Le Doulos, The White Ribbon, The 400 Blows, Bicycle Theives, Shoot the Piano Player, Notorious, and Modern Times.

All in all this was a great year for me.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:48 pm
PeachyPete wrote:

1. Breathless
2. Throne of Blood
3. The Battle of Algiers
4. Cache
5. Le Cercle Rouge
6. Boogie Nights
7. It's a Wonderful Life
8. M
9. The Great Dictator
10. The Last Metro

I've seen a bunch of other great films this year too, including: Sullivan's Travels, Rififi, Paths of Glory, Le Samourai, Le Doulos, The White Ribbon, The 400 Blows, Bicycle Theives, Shoot the Piano Player, Notorious, and Modern Times.

Awesome list, as expected. And you've reminded me of a couple of films that I forgot to include on mine.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:

1. Breathless
2. Throne of Blood
3. The Battle of Algiers
4. Cache
5. Le Cercle Rouge
6. Boogie Nights
7. It's a Wonderful Life
8. M
9. The Great Dictator
10. The Last Metro

Can't believe you're in the Breathless fan club, but this is an indubitably awesome list. Melville, my boy Jules Dassin, Boogie Nights, Battle of Friggin Algiers (amazing film) with a slice of Truffaut and a dollop of Italian neorealism? What a year for Josh.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Awesome list, as expected. And you've reminded me of a couple of films that I forgot to include on mine.

Thank you kindly. Most of the Melville is thanks to your pimping of him, so you deserve some credit for my awesome list.

JamesKunz wrote:
Can't believe you're in the Breathless fan club, but this is an indubitably awesome list. Melville, my boy Jules Dassin, Boogie Nights, Battle of Friggin Algiers (amazing film) with a slice of Truffaut and a dollop of Italian neorealism? What a year for Josh.

Thank you as well Kunz, but not as kindly, because I am Pete, not Josh. I was wondering why you couldn't believe I was in the Breathless fan club. My guess is reading is your problem, not memory loss. 8-)

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm
Critic

PeachyPete wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:

Thank you kindly. Most of the Melville is thanks to your pimping of him, so you deserve some credit for my awesome list.

JamesKunz wrote:

Thank you as well Kunz, but not as kindly, because I am Pete, not Josh. I was wondering why you couldn't believe I was in the Breathless fan club. My guess is reading is your problem, not memory loss. 8-)

I think general stupidity is the reason. I was for some reason convinced that Josh wrote that post, and I have no idea why. I'm hoping it's because I was alternating between different threads. But yeah, Pete being in the Breathless fan club is hardly a "can't believe" situation :)

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm
Great question Joel. It's difficult for me to rank these so I'll simply list my 10 favourite ones (and 10 runners-up). I saw a bunch of good 2009 releases in 2010 so I'm leaving those off to make things more interesting, however this list still won't be as great as the fantastic list Josh has offered:

The 10 best (in random order):

The White Ribbon
(2009) - I lied about that 2009 thing. The White Ribbon is in my top 3 of 2009 and would probably be my favourite film if it was released in 2010.

L'atalante (1934) - This disappointed me a little (it's listed as the 16th best film of all time) but it's still great. And, certain scenes are surprisingly sensual.

Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005) - John Hawkes fans take note! ))<>((

Network (1976) - mad as hell that I didn't catch this earlier. Very relevant today, no?

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) - certainly one of Woody's top 5 films (though I blot my copybook by saying the top 5 might include Match Point)

What's Up, Doc? (1972) - Peter Bogdanovich's screwball picture is probably the funniest I've seen this year.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) - hat-tip to ram1312. The secret is in her eyes.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God
(1972) - I would have given this a 10 if not for the obvious dubbing. Possibly the best film I've seen this year.

Toy Story 2 (1999) - I never saw any Toy Story picture until this year. All three are fine films, but this is the best.

Crash (1996) - I'll keep saying this is the best movie called "Crash" until Josh is ready to kill me.

The runners-up:

The Killing (1956) - Stanley Kubrick + film-noir + shadows = great success!

Baby Doll (1956) - Eli Wallach seducing a foxy married virgin (yes, you read right). Mmmmmm.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) - Pure madness, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) - one of the best ever movies about food.

Winchester '73 (1950) - My first Jimmy Stewart/Mann film and it was damn good.

A Christmas Tale (2008) - A not so Merry Christmas, or: the funniest movie in the cancer/mental illness genre.

Trouble in Paradise (1932) - Ernst Lubitsch was the Billy Wilder of the 30s. The two write eerily similar dialogue.

Boy A (2007) - Everything in its right place. How to Disappear Completely. Idioteque. Need I say more?

Little Manhattan (2005) - it's just sooooooo cute and sweet.

Monsoon Wedding (2001) - The better of two fine Mira Nair flicks I caught this year.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:09 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Crash (1996) - I'll keep saying this is the best movie called "Crash" until Josh is ready to kill me.

But I don't have to kill you: you get to walk around like Hester Prynne in The Scarlet Letter with everyone in their right mind judging you for how wrong you are in your (over)praise of this ineffective mess.

As for me, I discovered
Apocalypse Now
Blood Simple
Chinatown
Come and See
The General
In the Mood for Love
Nashville
Un Chien Andalou
Vertigo
The Wages of Fear

As well as
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Dark City
Femme Fatale
Fitzcarraldo
Make Way for Tomorrow
Mysterious Skin
Platoon
Rear Window
Sansho the Bailiff
The Third Man

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:48 am
I have seen so many great movies over the years and had no "discoveries" in 2010 that rated 9 or higher.

Here ar the best films I saw from pre 2010

Chinatown
Chop Shop
Day Of The Jackal, The
African Queen, The
Amadeus
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
In The Line Of Fire
It's A Wonderful Life
Toy Story
Leon : Professional, The
Let The Right One In
Man With A Movie Camera, The
Mary And Max
Forrest Gump
Heiress, The
Passing Strange
Night Of The Demon
Playtime
Toy Story 2
Wall-E

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 am
ed_metal_head wrote:
Great question Joel. It's difficult for me to rank these so I'll simply list my 10 favourite ones (and 10 runners-up). I saw a bunch of good 2009 releases in 2010 so I'm leaving those off to make things more interesting, however this list still won't be as great as the fantastic list Josh has offered:

The White Ribbon
(2009) - I lied about that 2009 thing. The White Ribbon is in my top 3 of 2009 and would probably be my favourite film if it was released in 2010.

I laughed pretty hard at all of this. You're a funny young man, Duard.

Also, The White Ribbon would easily be the best movie of the year had it been released in 2010. By a wide margin, says me - hence the italics. I don't think there were any great movies released in 2010. A lot of very good ones, but nothing the flat out floored me. I thought about putting The White Ribbon in my top 10, but I went with the (slightly) better Haneke film, Cache.

ed_metal_head wrote:
Network (1976) - mad as hell that I didn't catch this earlier. Very relevant today, no?

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) - certainly one of Woody's top 5 films (though I blot my copybook by saying the top 5 might include Match Point)

Toy Story 2 (1999) - I never saw any Toy Story picture until this year. All three are fine films, but this is the best.

All terrific choices and movies.

ed_metal_head wrote:
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974) - Pure madness, but the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Sam! My pants are around my ankles just thinking about this movie!

ed_metal_head wrote:
Trouble in Paradise (1932) - Ernst Lubitsch was the Billy Wilder of the 30s. The two write eerily similar dialogue.

Consider me sold. Added to my Netflix queue.

JJoshay wrote:
As for me, I discovered
Apocalypse Now
Blood Simple
Chinatown
Come and See
The General
In the Mood for Love
Nashville
Un Chien Andalou
Vertigo
The Wages of Fear

As well as
Dark City
Femme Fatale
Fitzcarraldo
Make Way for Tomorrow
Mysterious Skin
Platoon
Rear Window
Sansho the Bailiff
The Third Man

As soon as I get a Blu-Ray player, I'll be watching The Wages of Fear. I'm excited for that one. I also think I'm going to make a point of seeing Sansho the Bailiff this year. Too many folks around here are effusive in their praise for me leave it unseen. I can't remember anyone on the forum disliking the movie.

A part of me hates you, in a completely loving way, for putting Blood Simple (a movie I like) and The General (a movie I don't much care for) ahead of The Third Man. I just can't get enough of old Joe Cotton. That guy was terrific.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:06 am
PeachyPete wrote:
JJoshay wrote:
As for me, I discovered
Apocalypse Now
Blood Simple
Chinatown
Come and See
The General
In the Mood for Love
Nashville
Un Chien Andalou
Vertigo
The Wages of Fear

As well as
Dark City
Femme Fatale
Fitzcarraldo
Make Way for Tomorrow
Mysterious Skin
Platoon
Rear Window
Sansho the Bailiff
The Third Man

As soon as I get a Blu-Ray player, I'll be watching The Wages of Fear. I'm excited for that one. I also think I'm going to make a point of seeing Sansho the Bailiff this year. Too many folks around here are effusive in their praise for me leave it unseen. I can't remember anyone on the forum disliking the movie.

A part of me hates you, in a completely loving way, for putting Blood Simple (a movie I like) and The General (a movie I don't much care for) ahead of The Third Man. I just can't get enough of old Joe Cotton. That guy was terrific.

I've only seen The Third Man once and while I think its a masterful film it wasn't an instant favorite. Closer to the top ten then the others (painfully close, I just barely didn't put it on) but not quite. I'm still surprised I haven't gotten any flak yet for putting Femme Fatale on the list there.

And yeah, I didn't organize my top ten except alphabetically but The Wages of Fear was easily the best film I saw last year, hands down. Sansho the Bailiff was a masterpiece as well, two wonderful films right there.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:38 pm
PeachyPete wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I should point out the this is the lesser of two Lubitsch films I've seen. Both are excellent, but Trouble in Paradise dovetails a bit at the end. Ninotchka would be a better starting point (of course, this is just my opinion. The Top 1000 list rates Trouble In Paradise much higher).

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:06 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:

I should point out the this is the lesser of two Lubitsch films I've seen. Both are excellent, but Trouble in Paradise dovetails a bit at the end. Ninotchka would be a better starting point (of course, this is just my opinion. The Top 1000 list rates Trouble In Paradise much higher).

Point 1: I don't think you know what 'dovetail' means.

Point 2: Trouble in Paradise is a delightful film and even if Ninotchka is a little better (I haven't seen it) you shouldn't dissuade people from seeing it because, after all, it's delightful.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:59 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
Point 2: Trouble in Paradise is a delightful film and even if Ninotchka is a little better (I haven't seen it) you shouldn't dissuade people from seeing it because, after all, it's delightful.

For what it's worth I didn't take Ed's post as him trying to dissuade me from seeing the film. I took it more as him throwing out another, better (in his opinion) recommendation since I'm interested in this one.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:51 pm
I can't remember far back enough last year to make any kind of comprehensive list. I only started keeping track of my film viewing in the final three months of the year, so I'm going to highlight the best films from that time period, in the order in which I saw them:

La Dolce Vita
The Sweet Hereafter
Eyes Without A Face
Chop Shop
Waltz With Bashir
Candyman
The Cove
Ace In The Hole
Fitzcarraldo
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Walkabout
Ikiru