Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:14 pm

The Most Underrated Movies of 2010 
Producer

Post The Most Underrated Movies of 2010
I thought since we have an overrated list for 2010 why not have an underrated list too? So what did you think were the underrated movies of 2010? What movies did you see that you think the critics were too harsh on and actually liked?

My list for underrated movies of 2010:

Green Zone
Knight and Day
The American
Never Let Me Go
It's Kind of a Funny Story
Conviction
Love and Other Drugs
Fair Game
Tron: Legacy
Daybreakers
Legion
From Paris With Love
Clash of the Titans
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Jonah Hex
Grown Ups
Salt
Dinner for Schmucks
Takers
Case 39
Paranormal Activity 2 (weird since the first one was in my overrated list last year, but I actually think this was a huge improvement over the original)
Morning Glory
Skyline
Faster
Burlesque

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:54 am
Post Re: The Most Underrated Movies of 2010
Kick-Ass (although it has been nominated as Best Picture in the Evening Standard film awards, it won't win) - I love this movie; I could watch it over and over again. I have, in fact.
Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Much better than the reviews led me to expect and an improvement over Prince Caspian.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:09 am
I definitely agree with most of the films on your list, though i'd also add Killers, The Tourist, The Losers, The A-Team and Due Date to the list.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:02 pm
The Expendables got dumped on by pretty much everyone I know, but I ended up liking it. Same with The A-Team. I suppose they're both largely forgettable in the end, though. Neither one has the staying power of Unstoppable.

I'd say Please Give was tossed aside by most of you as just another indie film. I found it to be an excellent meditation on how people want to see themselves, regardless of how it looks to others. This is something I've been jiving with lately.

And maybe that's it. Enter the Void, despite baffling pretty much everyone here, has even been given its proper dues.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:12 pm
Pedro wrote:
The Expendables got dumped on by pretty much everyone I know, but I ended up liking it. Same with The A-Team. I suppose they're both largely forgettable in the end, though. Neither one has the staying power of Unstoppable.

I'd say Please Give was tossed aside by most of you as just another indie film. I found it to be an excellent meditation on how people want to see themselves, regardless of how it looks to others. This is something I've been jiving with lately.

And maybe that's it. Enter the Void, despite baffling pretty much everyone here, has even been given its proper dues.

Agree 100% on Expendables, I seriously odn't get all the hate for that film, i'll gladly take that film over the overrated Inception ANY day!

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:52 pm
Add my vote to the Expendables.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:57 pm
Scott Pilgrim has gotten a fair shake here, but moviegoers by and large seemed to completely overlook it. That was unfortunate.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 pm
Pedro wrote:
The Expendables got dumped on by pretty much everyone I know, but I ended up liking it.

I liked The Expendables, not great or even very good but enjoyable. I'd also throw my vote behind Salt and Burlesque, the former being ridiculous but fun and well made and the latter being fairly enjoyable trash.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Alex wrote:
Kick-Ass (although it has been nominated as Best Picture in the Evening Standard film awards, it won't win) - I love this movie; I could watch it over and over again. I have, in fact.

I actually think Kick-Ass is a little overrated. Fun flick and I enjoyed both my theatrical viewings but ultimately it struck me as a little empty. Still, a solid movie.

My underrated movies:

Four Lions - I suppose under-seen is more apt, but I'll include this anyway. This suicide bomber comedy is occasionally uneven, but by the hilarious and completely un-politically correct ending it had won me over. A better comedy about suicide bombers won't ever be made.

Hot Tub Time Machine - I can almost guarantee that this movie would never have been made if it wasn't for the success of The Hangover. However, instead of being a poor facsimile, Hot Tub Time Machine is much funnier, more irreverent and has more pathos than The Hangover. It's by no means a great film but it is pretty good.

Piranha - I saw Piranha with a ghetto-ish audience. Most fun theatrical experience of last year. All you need to know about this one is that they're filming a sequel that will probably be title Piranha DD.

She's Out of My League wasn't a great film either but it is one of the better poor-man's-Apatow comedies I've seen. Jay Baruchel as one of the breakout stars of 2010. Who would have thought?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:11 pm
A lot of movies put out there to start the thread.....

Personally, I think underrated is a relative term. Underrated in terms of what is always the question. Is it in terms of viewership? Ratings? both? etc.

For me, a few that stand out that need a little more love from a discerning movie crowd like our little community here would be:
The Art of the Steal
Tokyo Sonata
Cyrus
Kisses
Solitary Man
The American
Cairo Time

Last edited by bob harris on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:16 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
She's Out of My League wasn't a great film either but it is one of the better poor-man's-Apatow comedies I've seen. Jay Baruchel as one of the breakout stars of 2010. Who would have thought?

Agreed. Watched it on a plane with my wife. She declined my offer to use headphone splitters and watch it together but kept sneaking peaks until finally relenting and watching the rest with me.

I'll add...

The Crazies
. The best action/horror film since 28 Days Later. Not that there have been very many, but it was a damn good watch.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:20 pm
bob harris wrote:
The Art of the Steal
Tokyo Sonata
Cyrus
Kisses
Solitary Man
Cairo Time

I've only seen Cyrus (disliked) and Solitary Man (good choice, I agree. Michael Douglas fans take note!). I'll be sure to make note of the others.

JamesKunz wrote:

I'll add...

The Crazies
. The best action/horror film since 28 Days Later. Not that there have been very many, but it was a damn good watch.

Totally agree with the choice of film, though not necessarily with the text that follows. 28 Days Later strikes me as much superior but The Crazies was still a pleasant early-year surprise.

Better to sneak a peak than a valley I say...

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:26 pm
Critic

ed_metal_head wrote:
Totally agree with the choice of film, though not necessarily with the text that follows. 28 Days Later strikes me as much superior but The Crazies was still a pleasant early-year surprise.

Oh I agree that 28 Days Later is much better, but that doesn't repudiate my statement, semantically-speaking.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:28 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
I definitely agree with most of the films on your list, though i'd also add Killers, The Tourist, The Losers, The A-Team and Due Date to the list.

I agree with you on The Tourist. It was a surprisingly fun movie due mostly to Johnny Depp's fun and actually kind of clever performance.

Also agreed on Due Date. A very funny movie with a great pairing of Downey and Galifianakis.

Wasn't a fan of Killers and The Losers though. In fact, I thought Killers had what might be the single dumbest twist in the history of movies with twists.

The A-Team is a tricky one. Because some of the reviews were bad, and some of the reviews were decent. So it's kind of hard to call a movie with such mixed reviews either underrated and overrated. I myself found the movie to be a fun, but ultimately forgettable time waster.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:09 am
Producer

I was personally kind of disappointed in The Expendables. It wasn't bad by any means, but it was just okay to me. Nothing special.

As for The Crazies, I like that movie a lot. But I didn't put it on my list because I don't feel it's underrated. The reviews were actually pretty solid all around.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:17 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Vexer wrote:

I agree with you on The Tourist. It was a surprisingly fun movie due mostly to Johnny Depp's fun and actually kind of clever performance.

Also agreed on Due Date. A very funny movie with a great pairing of Downey and Galifianakis.

Wasn't a fan of Killers and The Losers though. In fact, I thought Killers had what might be the single dumbest twist in the history of movies with twists.

The A-Team is a tricky one. Because some of the reviews were bad, and some of the reviews were decent. So it's kind of hard to call a movie with such mixed reviews either underrated and overrated. I myself found the movie to be a fun, but ultimately forgettable time waster.

Well if you'd seen even half the movies I have, you wouldn't be saying that about Killers twist, sure it was kind of ridiculous and farfetched but i've seen WAAAYYYYYY worse twists in films like say Hide And Seek and The Forgotten, plus any film that uses the REALLY stupid and done-to-death "it-was-all-a-dream" twist.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 am
Producer

Haha. I actually like The Forgotten and Hide and Seek. In Hide and Seek, it gave De Niro a chance to play a character he's never played before and I thought he was awesome.

I'm a huge fan of The X-Files, and The Forgotten is very much like The X-Files in some ways, so that might be why I enjoyed that movie more than most.

Killers, on the other hand, had a twist so inane that it made the entire movie pointless. And then how the movie ends is just irredeemable, ugh. The first half hour or so of that movie is actually pretty enjoyable. But it's goes completely downhill from there and I found the ending to be insultingly bad. What a waste of Tom Selleck's talent and charisma too.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:52 am
ilovemovies wrote:
Haha. I actually like The Forgotten and Hide and Seek. In Hide and Seek, it gave De Niro a chance to play a character he's never played before and I thought he was awesome.

I'm a huge fan of The X-Files, and The Forgotten is very much like The X-Files in some ways, so that might be why I enjoyed that movie more than most.

Killers, on the other hand, had a twist so inane that it made the entire movie pointless. And then how the movie ends is just irredeemable, ugh. The first half hour or so of that movie is actually pretty enjoyable. But it's goes completely downhill from there and I found the ending to be insultingly bad. What a waste of Tom Selleck's talent and charisma too.

Well like I said i've seen FAR worse twists(I actually think Shymalan's twists are a million times worse) and I found it an enjoyable film overall, this review pretty much echoes my thoughtshttp://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/k/10_killers.htm As for Hide And Seek, I thought it was one ofthe worst horror films ever and De Niro was terrible beyond belief, easily his absolute WORST performance ever, it looked like he was sleepwalking through the entire film, he was probably just eager for a big paycheck, course pretty much the whole cast in that film stunk up the joint and the rotten, asinine ending made Hide And Seek one of the worst horror films of all time. The Forgotten certainly lives up to it's name as even with it's horrible, stupid beyond belief twist, it's still very easy to forget about that incredibly mediocre film as soon as the credits start rolling, another film with a terrible twist is Life Of David Gale.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:43 pm
bob harris wrote:
A lot of movies put out there to start the thread.....

Personally, I think underrated is a relative term. Underrated in terms of what is always the question. Is it in terms of viewership? Ratings? both? etc.

For me, a few that stand out that need a little more love from a discerning movie crowd like our little community here would be:
The Art of the Steal
Tokyo Sonata
Cyrus
Kisses
Solitary Man
The American
Cairo Time

I really enjoyed "Cyrus" in a squirm-in-my-seat, uncomfortable-at-times sort of way. "Solitary Man" was excellent, although I was a little disappointed at the ending, when

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the writers used Michael Douglas's poor health as the reason for his sophomoric behavior. Couldn't he just be a jerk for the sake of jerkiness?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:56 pm
Another underrated film for me would be Sorcerer's Apprentice, sure it's cliched and predictable, but is that REALLY so terrible? I certainly don't think so, I thought it was pretty fun for what it was, Baruchel was engaging enough, Cage wasn't too bad either, it's certainly FAR from being as terrible as his work in bottom of the barrel crap like Knowing and The Wicker Man remake, and Molina makes for a great villain, Theresa Palmer and Monica Belluci were decent if underdeveloped, bottom line, it's a pretty decent film so long as you don't expect too much from it.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 am