Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:45 pm

The Most Underrated Movies of 2010 
Post Re: The Most Underrated Movies of 2010
Oh, and Splice. The film is completely unfocussed (family drama, cautionary tale of genetics, monster-movie etc.) but it does have a good amount of ambition. It lost me towards the end, but parts of it were among the most thoughtful sci-fi I had seen for the year.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:06 pm
Director

Kick-Ass has seemed to have gotten a lot of hate for some reason around here, I personally very much enjoyed it.

My #1 pick would be Paranormal Activity 2. A lot of critics, including JB, called it a meaningless sequel. I thought the sequel almost matched the first film actually. In fact, I'd say the second was more suspenseful, even if it sucked a tad more in the character development department. The ending was straight out of Hell too, had me jumping at least.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
DunkinDan89 wrote:
My #1 pick would be Paranormal Activity 2. A lot of critics, including JB, called it a meaningless sequel. I thought the sequel almost matched the first film actually. In fact, I'd say the second was more suspenseful, even if it sucked a tad more in the character development department. The ending was straight out of Hell too, had me jumping at least.

The second film felt as scripted as it was, which really took away the scare factor. The characters were annoying, too few of the scares actually worked and the film followed the perfect cardboard cutout plot the first set up so well. It had some good jump moments and the first ending (before the second and the third and on and on and on...) in the basement was legitimately scary, but not much else.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:44 pm
Director

JJoshay wrote:
DunkinDan89 wrote:

The second film felt as scripted as it was, which really took away the scare factor. The characters were annoying, too few of the scares actually worked and the film followed the perfect cardboard cutout plot the first set up so well. It had some good jump moments and the first ending (before the second and the third and on and on and on...) in the basement was legitimately scary, but not much else.

I disagree. I guess it comes down to me simply not understanding how you love the first movie but dislike this one, since the two are almost identical in terms of story-telling and the fact that you know that you're going to get a few "jump" moments. I did not find the characters annoying, which ones were annoying? The dad was pretty funny, the mom seemed normal - I guess the only one that comes close to being a tad annoying, at least for me, was the daughter.

But if you're going to level the movie with that complaint, I'm just surprised you didn't find the Micah character in the first film annoying. I didn't think he was irritating, but one of the most popular shortcomings many argue the first film has is that Micah was SUPER annoying.

UPDATED 8/26 - Top 100 List *Updated*

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:02 am
Profile WWW
I disliked Paranormal Activity 2 for the same reasons I was lukewarm on the first entry: I don't like the format. Strangely, I would have liked the movie more if the dialogue had contained 50% more bullshit like:

"Damn it! This milk carton is empty. Why did you put it back in the fridge?"

or

"Christ, dad, light a match... that smell coming from the bathroom!"

As it stands, I was always wondering why the compilers of the footage had compiled the footage EXACTLY the way they did. Because they knew they were making a fictional horror flick. It's a forensic video, right? Why the pool cleaner shot over and over and over? Or:

"The fucking pool cleaner! I'm scared about the pool cleaner!"

The first movie wasn't great (Micah's bold show of masculinity with "Come on, evil, I'll kick your keister!" was hilarious) but it least had a creepiness factor.

But these movies are always a little bit stupid, right? People don't use home video recording equipment this much, they don't gradually move into nervousness... you should watch someone find a hairless mole on their shoulder. They move from placid to panic in 0.02 seconds.

I dunno. I can't suspend disbelief when I'm asked to take what I'm seeing as documented evidence.

Plus that scene in the basement was the biggest let-down of all 2010. NOTHING HAPPENED. A little suspenseful but badly shot, mostly incoherent. The worst film of 2010? I think so.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:36 am
Producer

I hated the first Paranormal Activity but thought the sequel was actually pretty good and a much better movie in every way possible. Better characters, better acting, better scares, better everything.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:57 am