Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:59 pm

The Most Overrated Movies of 2010 
Post The Most Overrated Movies of 2010
I just came across this list of the 10 most overrated movies of 2010:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/23/most-overrated-movies-2010/

It's flamebait, no doubt, but it got me thinking. What are some of your most overrated movies of 2010?*

* a short explanation saying why you find it overrated would be appreciated, but is totally not necessary.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:42 pm
Post Re: The Most Overrated Movies of 2010
Scott Pilgrim is rather overrated if you ask me, it wasn't nearly as clever or as engaging as Edgar Wright seemed to think it was and it was 15 minutes too long for it's own good, sure I appreciated the nostalgia and visual aspect of it all, but that can only keep my interest for so long before it gets old, on top of that Michael Cera gives yet ANOTHER variation on the nerdy-shy-guy role that he plays in every film(seriously Cera REALLY needs to learn how to play a different type of character in his next film, or he's gonna fall behind fast), so I found it difficult to generate much interest in his character, the love-story also didn't compel me as much as it should have, that's less the faultof the actors then it is the fault of Scott and Rmona just not coming across as compatible with one another, Scott and Knives just seemed to work so much better
[Reveal] Spoiler:
in fact, in the alternate enidng on the DVD, Scott and Knives actually do get back together, I wish the filmmakers would've gone with that ending instead
I just didn't see why critics were so blown away by that film, and I just KNOW i'm going to find Inception overrated since i'm not much of a Nolan fan and the film's overly long running time dosen't give me much hope.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:23 pm
Vexer wrote:
Scott Pilgrim is rather overrated if you ask me, it wasn't nearly as clever or as engaging as Edgar Wright seemed to think it was and it was 15 minutes too long for it's own good, sure I appreciated the nostalgia and visual aspect of it all, but that can only keep my interest for so long before it gets old, on top of that Michael Cera gives yet ANOTHER variation on the nerdy-shy-guy role that he plays in every film(seriously Cera REALLY needs to learn how to play a different type of character in his next film, or he's gonna fall behind fast), so I found it difficult to generate much interest in his character, the love-story also didn't compel me as much as it should have, that's less the faultof the actors then it is the fault of Scott and Rmona just not coming across as compatible with one another, Scott and Knives just seemed to work so much better
[Reveal] Spoiler:
in fact, in the alternate enidng on the DVD, Scott and Knives actually do get back together, I wish the filmmakers would've gone with that ending instead
I just didn't see why critics were so blown away by that film, and I just KNOW i'm going to find Inception overrated since i'm not much of a Nolan fan and the film's overly long running time dosen't give me much hope.

One of the many points/great things about Scott Pilgrim is that Ramona and Scott aren't supposed to be compatible with one another. They have no chemistry and yet Scott still engages in life-and-death battles for her favor. Why he does this, and why there are so many fights, are two of the many reasons why the film has depth.

Also: if you 'just know [you're] going to find Inception overrated' why bother watching it at all? Just to say it's overrated?

Other than the obvious picks for year's most unimpressive critical successes I'll throw out three that I've written less about:

Get Him To The Greek -- not awards material but given some critical love. The movie wasn't particularly funny, clever, anything worth a look.

Cyrus -- below-average Indie comedy that got a free pass from critics because, and this is just a guess, it was an Indie comedy rather than a studio pic. A waste of time and totally one-dimensional. That the ending was terrible and yet didn't manage to bring down the rest of the picture is a testament to this film's crappiness.

The Fighter -- it'll get some nominations, some of those will be deserved, but the whole is unspectacular thanks to the mediocre script. The cast (aside from Stone Cold Wahlly) and director elevate the material to better-than-average but it's far from great.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:57 pm
ed_metal_head wrote:
I just came across this list of the 10 most overrated movies of 2010:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/12/23/most-overrated-movies-2010/

It's flamebait, no doubt, but it got me thinking. What are some of your most overrated movies of 2010?*

* a short explanation saying why you find it overrated would be appreciated, but is totally not necessary.

Inception is not on that list.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:01 pm
There's that stupid word again. Why can't people just say, "Here's the movies I didn't like"? Why does it have to turn into a judgment of other people's opinions?

While I liked Inception and Black Swan, neither one blew me away. Lots of people absolutely loved those two movies, which is good. I want people to love movies.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:58 pm
majoraphasia wrote:
Vexer wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

One of the many points/great things about Scott Pilgrim is that Ramona and Scott aren't supposed to be compatible with one another. They have no chemistry and yet Scott still engages in life-and-death battles for her favor. Why he does this, and why there are so many fights, are two of the many reasons why the film has depth.

Also: if you 'just know [you're] going to find Inception overrated' why bother watching it at all? Just to say it's overrated?

Yeah I understood that them not being compatible was the whole point, but it still didn't really work for me because I just didn't find Cera's character to be very compelling or interesting(and that's partially due to Cera plaiyng pretty much the same character in every movie he's been in so far, if Scott was played by a different actor I might've found him more engaging) as for Inception, well just because i'm probably going to find it overrated dosen't necessarily mean I won't enjoy it, I certainly enjoyed Dark Knight despite finding it overrated, so I can see the same thing happening with Inception as well.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:18 pm
[Reveal] Spoiler:
When I saw the ending to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, all I could think about was, "Man, did every Asian get the cold shoulder in this movie or what?" My friend told me the other day that there was an alternate ending where Scott and Knives get together at the end. Vexer has confirmed it. I'm happy to know this. It doesn't change the film for me. The film goes out of its way to have Asian characters only to ultimately disregard them as villains or petty love interests. I don't see how this film does anything but encourage stereotypes. Perhaps Knives didn't deserve Scott in the end. Who does she deserve, a nice, quiet Asian boy?

I still like the film. It might even have depth like Mark suggests. It's too muddled for me by my complaints, though.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:40 pm
[Reveal] Spoiler: Scott Pilgrim
Scott Pilgrim perpetuates negative Asian stereotypes? What is this, IMDB now?

Newsflash: movies use generalizations as shorthand for character development. Scott Pilgrim intentionally evokes the type of the Asian schoolgirl, because the movie is, among other things, a send-up of American fanboy culture. The Asian schoolgirl is not a character, so much as an abstract ideal to be attained.

I do not see how this harms Asians, as Scott's obsessions are not portrayed as an admirable trait. People need to explain why something is negative without taking it for granted as such.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:49 pm
Vexer wrote:
Yeah I understood that them not being compatible was the whole point, but it still didn't really work for me because I just didn't find Cera's character to be very compelling or interesting(and that's partially due to Cera plaiyng pretty much the same character in every movie he's been in so far, if Scott was played by a different actor I might've found him more engaging) as for Inception, well just because i'm probably going to find it overrated dosen't necessarily mean I won't enjoy it, I certainly enjoyed Dark Knight despite finding it overrated, so I can see the same thing happening with Inception as well.

Cera was a good choice for lead but... if you are expecting a different character from what he normally plays, you're right. His character is World's Biggest Cipher and that's exactly what Michael Cera seems like to me.

Ken. wrote:
...as Scott's obsessions are not portrayed as an admirable trait.

Right. He's a cipher. What pop culture does, Scott is. The movie doesn't necessarily see him as noble.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:58 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Bryan Lee O'Malley, writer of the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World graphic whatever-they-call-it-these-days, is Asian.

As far as I'm concerned, he can do what he wants with these Asian stereotypes. Whether or not they were in the original comic book, I don't know, never read it.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Ken wrote:
There's that stupid word again. Why can't people just say, "Here's the movies I didn't like"? Why does it have to turn into a judgment of other people's opinions?

Because that's not the same thing, of course. I liked Inception. And it was the most overrated movie of the year. These are not incompatible ideas.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:57 pm
One being compatible with the other isn't and never was the point.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:25 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
One being compatible with the other isn't and never was the point.

I dunno about "never." I think for about 2 seconds it was the point and then ceased to be. In any event though, you're right, I didn't quite address what you were saying. But I find your point silly. We're writing on the forum of a critic. We obviously care not only about what we think about a movie, but what others think as well. So why can't we discuss which films we disagreed with the critics/public on?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:31 pm
Director

The Kids are All Right. Simply not a great film. We're supposed to root for an angry, passive-aggressive, selfish jerk for PC reasons. Good acting, not a bad movie, but simply not great.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:08 pm
JamesKunz wrote:
I dunno about "never." I think for about 2 seconds it was the point and then ceased to be. In any event though, you're right, I didn't quite address what you were saying. But I find your point silly. We're writing on the forum of a critic. We obviously care not only about what we think about a movie, but what others think as well. So why can't we discuss which films we disagreed with the critics/public on?
"Overrated" is a substitute for insight. Attempts at explanations either aren't made at all or typically don't involve justification for calling the opinions of others into question. (Beyond "I think I'm right and other people are wrong.")

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:17 pm
firefly wrote:
The Kids are All Right. Simply not a great film. We're supposed to root for an angry, passive-aggressive, selfish jerk for PC reasons. Good acting, not a bad movie, but simply not great.

I did not see a "great" movie in 2010
Rob

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:43 am
Producer

I'm glad to see "The Kids Are All Right," "Splice" and "Morning Glory" on the list. Disagree with some of the others, naturally, but those three make up for it.

Some others: "The Fighter" seemed to me a rather dull story which managed to make its boxing scenes and Triumph over Adversity (and not all that much Adversity) unexciting.

"The Town" is simply not a good movie yet some critics think it's a candidate for for a best picture nomination.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm
Director

Robert Holloway wrote:
firefly wrote:

Rob

In one sense, I'm not sure you can really identify a great movie when you initially see it. It's one thing to see a movie one time and be wowed. It's something else entirely to have that movie hold up over time and in retrospect. I remember the first time I saw Casablanca--I was still a teenager. I enjoyed it but I didn't really see the greatness until subsequent viewings. Same with Serenity.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:36 pm
firefly wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
firefly wrote:

Rob

In one sense, I'm not sure you can really identify a great movie when you initially see it. It's one thing to see a movie one time and be wowed. It's something else entirely to have that movie hold up over time and in retrospect. I remember the first time I saw Casablanca--I was still a teenager. I enjoyed it but I didn't really see the greatness until subsequent viewings. Same with Serenity.

Firefly - Of course that is true.

I guess what I meant was that i did not see a film that genuinely wanted me to go out and shout at everyone to see it

That said, i saw an unusual amount of good and very good films

Rob

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:42 pm
Director

Ah. For me, Winter's Bone, Inception, and The Social Network fit the bill.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:17 am