Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:06 pm

The Best Films of 2010 
Post The Best Films of 2010
Premature? Maybe. But if I don't add mine now I'm afraid I won't have a chance before 2011 rolls around. I'm leaving myself the option to revise after I check out a few that I've missed. So here we go.

--

The obligatory honorable mentions are:

Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky) - Very good look at the struggle over art.
Easy A (Will Gluck) - Best/sweetest teen comedy of the year says I.
Greenberg (Noah Baumbach) - The movie Noah Baumbach had been trying to make for a long, long time.
Daddy Longlegs (or, Go Get Some Rosemary) (Ben Safdie, Joshua Safdie) - Great portrait of a mediocre father. It had me worried about my own parenting.
Enter the Void (Gaspar Noe)- Too much something to be on the Best Of list but quite possibly the most irritating/haunting movie of the past few years. Frustrating and brilliant but a bit more frustrating than brilliant.
The Disappearance of Alice Creed - Standard material played just about perfectly with Eddie Marsan ruling every scene he's in.
The Human Centipede (First Sequence) (Tom Six) - This woulda been #11 if lists could be so long. I stand by my first comments on this one and will defend it until the cows return from their errands. The Human Centipede (Full Sequence) is in post and I'll be there with vomit bag proudly in hand.

Majoraphasia says these are the top ten movies of 2010:

10. Wild Grass (Alain Resnais) - The most genuinely romantic movie in a long time that doubles as a commentary on fears over privacy and modern marriage.

9. Animal Kingdom (David Michôd) - A spectacular crime film that features second-rate criminal minds trapped in a matter of course.

8. Chloe (Atom Egoyan) - The critics were lukewarm on what I thought was a wonderful look at the Post-feminist struggle to snap out of the old school wifely condition.

7. White Material (Claire Denis) - Straight-faced surrealism around the preservation of a coffee plantation made me want to buy a camera and start trying my hand at photography.

6. A Prophet (Jacques Audiard) - Awesome fable-ishnessivity in a prison with the year's best male lead performance by Tahar Rahim as an outsider's outsider doing his best to become less so. Surprisingly optimistic!

5. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Edgar Wright) - Still great for all the reasons I've peppered throughout this forum.

4. Winter's Bone (Debra Granik) - Jennifer Lawrence nails the best female lead performance of the year in a movie with dramatic intensity enough for six movies. Naysayers be damned! I loved this movie.

3. I Am Love (Luca Guadagnino) - A thematic relative of Wild Grass that makes American downers look like kid's birthday parties.

2. Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold) - Fucking righteous coming-of-age drama about a kid who just wants to dance with mom's boyfriend. It's like Catcher in the Rye with even more foul language and the most shameful and involving set of relationships of 2010.

1. Dogtooth (Giorgos Lanthimos) - It took two viewings to get it down but this ended up being the movie to beat. A study of language? Check. Challenge to the idea of family? Check. Hilarious and shocking and hilarious again and the closest thing 2010 in movies got to getting every single scene 100% perfect.

Feel free to complain/comment and, you know, post your own damn lists.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:37 pm
Post Re: The Best Films of 2010
It's so easy to criticize other peoples top lists of the year. Here's my thoughts.

I don't agree with your list but that would be boring. That said I really like it because I can totally understand how you came to the choices.

There are a few unseens for me that I hope to address over the next few weeks.

I don't do films of the year until just before the Oscars. The problem is that the year is always backloaded and many of the best films are not even available outside NY and LA until 2011.

But where is Inception my friendly fanboy?

Rob

PS get a camera - you'll love it

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:21 am
I'm going to be in a non-posting position, at least for the most part, until the 3rd of January so I wanted to get my grand display of self-importance in before 2011 started. That said I stand by the list which reflects a good percentage of what I wanted to see (no Buried, Exit Through the Gift Shop, True Grit and so on quite yet... I'll worry about that later) and realize that it's not final or, really, all that important.

Robert Holloway wrote:
I
don't agree with your list but that would be boring. That said I really
like it because I can totally understand how you came to the choices.

Lists, just lists, are boring.

Robert Holloway wrote:
I
don't do films of the year until just before the Oscars. The problem is
that the year is always backloaded and many of the best films are not
even available outside NY and LA until 2011.

No doubt. That's why I would never label any list I created as Official or anything ridiculous like that. If I played "fair" I'd wait until Oscar season as opposed to populating my 2010 with a good number of 2009 titles. It all evens out.
Robert Holloway wrote:
But where is Inception my friendly fanboy?

That'll be on everyone else's list. If I make a list of 2010's Most Disappointing Films it'll be #1.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:35 am
There's a distinction in my head.

The Domestic 2010 List:

10. The Milk of Sorrow
9. Toy Story 3
8. Black Swan
7. The Social Network
6. The Ghost Writer
5. The Town
4. Inception
3. Enter the Void
2. Exit Through the Gift Shop
1. Dogtooth

The Actual 2010 List:

10. Shutter Island
9. Toy Story 3
8. Black Swan
7. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
6. The Social Network
5. The Ghost Writer
4. The Town
3. Inception
2. Enter the Void
1. Exit Through the Gift Shop

I posted a facebook note earlier this year about my top films of 2008, where 2008 refers to the year the film was released in the country it belongs to. Next year, I'll probably do a note about the best and brightest of 2009.

More commentary later.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:22 am
and here is the list from Roger Ebert

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/12 ... _2010.html

Rob

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:54 pm
Here's my pool so far

Sweetgrass - Documentary about sheep herders
Winters Bone - We all know this one
Easy A - Hugely enjoyable
Toy Story 3 - What to say?
The American - Clooney meets Melville
Social Network - Smartasses make money
Terribly Happy - Stunning
Exit Through the Gift Shop - Go Banksey
Winnebago man - Profane salesman
Red Riding Trilogy - A must see
Inception - Nolan makes intelligent blockbusters
Chaser - Very nasty serial killer movie from Asia
Rabbit Hole - A downer of epic proportions
Prophet - French dudes kill each other
The Girl Who - Wondrous trilogy
Joan Rivers ... - Daringly brave
Mother - Asia again
Restrepo - All in vain

Desperate top see before February
Waste Land
127 Hours
King's Speech
Carlos
Waiting For Superman
White Material
Black Swan
Buried
Made in Dagenham
Catfish
True Grit
The Fighter
Biutiful
Another Year

If you forced me I'd probably say that Sweetgrass is the best film I've seen this year - so far

Regards
Rob

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:27 am
Robert Holloway wrote:
Here's my pool so far

Sweetgrass - Documentary about sheep herders
Winters Bone - We all know this one
Easy A - Hugely enjoyable
Toy Story 3 - What to say?
The American - Clooney meets Melville
Social Network - Smartasses make money
Terribly Happy - Stunning
Exit Through the Gift Shop - Go Banksey
Winnebago man - Profane salesman
Red Riding Trilogy - A must see
Inception - Nolan makes intelligent blockbusters
Chaser - Very nasty serial killer movie from Asia
Rabbit Hole - A downer of epic proportions
Prophet - French dudes kill each other
The Girl Who - Wondrous trilogy
Joan Rivers ... - Daringly brave
Mother - Asia again
Restrepo - All in vain

Desperate top see before February
Waste Land
127 Hours
King's Speech
Carlos
Waiting For Superman
White Material
Black Swan
Buried
Made in Dagenham
Catfish
True Grit
The Fighter
Biutiful
Another Year

If you forced me I'd probably say that Sweetgrass is the best film I've seen this year - so far

Regards
Rob

This list did two things for me:

1. I'm going to watch Sweetgrass immediately. Like tomorrow or Monday.

2. I forgot all about Terribly Happy, which should be in the Domestic 2010 list nestled between The Town and Inception.

10. Shutter Island - the best horror movie of the year, which makes me kind of sad
9. Toy Story 3 - the best animated film of the year, also the most emotional
8. Black Swan - the best mindfuck of the year, but not really because its story is pretty clear
7. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - the best film of the year that takes its damn time
6. The Social Network - the best screenplay of the year, a great movie masquerading as a good one
5. The Ghost Writer - the best thriller of the year, featuring a great score from Desplat
4. The Town - the other best thriller of the year, with strong performances from a strong director
3. Inception - the best straight actioner of the year, followed by Unstoppable
2. Enter the Void - the best film of the year about dreams, featuring incredible filmmaking elements
1. Exit Through the Gift Shop - the best film about art in a long time, the best documentary in ages, the best film of the year period

The Milk of Sorrow - the best feminist film of the year, incredibly nuanced and moving from beginning to end
Terribly Happy - the best Coen brothers film of the year, depending on who you ask
Dogtooth - the best film about language in a long time, one of the best of the decade, a personal favorite

Major's list looks like something Slant would produce, but he backs up his claims with legitimate opinions, so I'm down. I still think Scott Pilgrim vs. The World gets way more love than it deserves, but it's nice to know that someone appreciates Dogtooth like I do.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:03 am
I agree with Pedro on Scott Pilgrim, just saw it recently and it didn't do nearly as much for me as it did for most of you on here, I did appreciate the directing style and the overall nostalgic feel of the film, but at 113 minutes it was too long for it's own good and the visual style started to wear thin after awhile, and the dialogue wasn't particularly clever or funny, and lastly I didn't find the central romance as engaging as I should have, probably cause it's getting tiresome seeing Michael Cera play the same nerdy-shy-guy role in every film, and because Scott and Knives just click together better then Scott and Ramona
[Reveal] Spoiler:
and in the altenrate ending, Scott And Knives actually get back together, which I felt was an improvement
So I REALLY don't get how people see Scott Pilgrim as a top 10 film at all whne it's a harmless timewaster at best, and I hope Cera takes the hint and actually plays a different type of character in his next film.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 pm
Vexer wrote:
I agree with Pedro on Scott Pilgrim, just saw it recently and it didn't do nearly as much for me as it did for most of you on here, I did appreciate the directing style and the overall nostalgic feel of the film, but at 113 minutes it was too long for it's own good and the visual style started to wear thin after awhile, and the dialogue wasn't particularly clever or funny, and lastly I didn't find the central romance as engaging as I should have, probably cause it's getting tiresome seeing Michael Cera play the same nerdy-shy-guy role in every film, and because Scott and Knives just click together better then Scott and Ramona
[Reveal] Spoiler:
and in the altenrate ending, Scott And Knives actually get back together, which I felt was an improvement
So I REALLY don't get how people see Scott Pilgrim as a top 10 film at all whne it's a harmless timewaster at best, and I hope Cera takes the hint and actually plays a different type of character in his next film.

I agree with you and pedro. I liked Scott Pilgrim, but not as much as others here. Your comments are spot on for me.
Rob

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:07 pm
I still have to catch up on some movies before I can comfortably make a 2010 best-of.

If anyone cares, the ones I haven't seen yet that I'm planning on are:

Ghost Writer
Jack Goes Boating
127 Hours
Tron: Legacy
Black Swan
True Grit

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:12 pm
Pedro wrote:

10. Shutter Island - the best horror movie of the year, which makes me kind of sad
9. Toy Story 3 - the best animated film of the year, also the most emotional
8. Black Swan - the best mindfuck of the year, but not really because its story is pretty clear
7. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - the best film of the year that takes its damn time
6. The Social Network - the best screenplay of the year, a great movie masquerading as a good one
5. The Ghost Writer - the best thriller of the year, featuring a great score from Desplat
4. The Town - the other best thriller of the year, with strong performances from a strong director
3. Inception - the best straight actioner of the year, followed by Unstoppable
2. Enter the Void - the best film of the year about dreams, featuring incredible filmmaking elements
1. Exit Through the Gift Shop - the best film about art in a long time, the best documentary in ages, the best film of the year period

The Milk of Sorrow - the best feminist film of the year, incredibly nuanced and moving from beginning to end
Terribly Happy - the best Coen brothers film of the year, depending on who you ask
Dogtooth - the best film about language in a long time, one of the best of the decade, a personal favorite

Major's list looks like something Slant would produce, but he backs up his claims with legitimate opinions, so I'm down. I still think Scott Pilgrim vs. The World gets way more love than it deserves, but it's nice to know that someone appreciates Dogtooth like I do.

First: good list. If I stuck to 2010's proper copyright I'd have included The Social Network and Shutter Island as well. I didn't care for Inception but, several months later, I'll admit that it's not a complete mystery as to why it'll be appearing on so many lists.

Second: my list looks Slant-y for a fine reason. The reason: I get a lot of recommendations from that site.

Third: I've underrated two 2010 movies: Toy Story 3 and Black Swan. The first was better on the second viewing (still not best of the year material in my ledger) and the second was seen, for the first time, under improper conditions. A second viewing has shown the light and my list will reflect that when I see the rest of what I need to see. Premature listing, as I said in my intro.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:53 pm
Ooops, I missed Uncle Boonmee. Thanks Pedro.
Rob

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:58 pm
Social Network is the only one this year that I could see deserving best picture. Best Hollywood drama to come along since who the hell knows when.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:11 am
MGamesCook wrote:
Social Network is the only one this year that I could see deserving best picture. Best Hollywood drama to come along since who the hell knows when.

Have you seen Uncle Boonmee, Sweetgrass?

Sure they are not going to win best picture at the Oscars, but for you?

Rob

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:27 am
Producer

I'm listing my top 13 in alphabetical order:

The American
Black Swan
Buried
Conviction
Fair Game
The Ghost Writer
Green Zone
Inception
Knight and Day
Love and Other Drugs
Never Let Me Go
Shutter Island
The Social Network

Still need to see:

Animal Kingdom
Winter's Bone
Get Low
Ondine
Agora
Solitary Man
Fish Tank
Greenberg
The Eclipse
Mother and Child
The Disappearance of Alice Creed
Jack Goes Boating
The King's Speech
True Grit
The Way Back
Blue Valentine
Biutiful
The Company Men
And Soon the Darkness
Another Year
All Good Things
The Tempest
Frankie & Alice
Somewhere
The Illusionist
Stone
Inhale
Welcome to the Rileys
Wild Target
I'm Still Here
The Romantics
The Tillman Story
Middle Men
Flipped
Cairo Time

among others.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:42 am
To be completely honest I still have not seen enough films to make a top ten list that would be complete and that I'd be satisfied with. So I'll start the only three films I've seen so far this year that I consider to be worth putting in a first draft top ten list, which leaves me with three. After that I'll put up the list of films I still want to see before I'll consider truly completing my list.

#3 – The Human Centipede (First Sequence) (Six)

#2 – The Ghost Writer (Polanski)

#1 – Inception (Nolan)

Before I finish my list I want to watch:
127 Hours
The American
Animal Kingdom
Black Swan
Dogtooth
Exit Through the Gift Shop
I Am Love
I Love You, Phillip Morris
The Illusionist
The Kids Are All Right
The Killer Inside Me
Lourdes
Rabbit Hole
Restrepo
Salt
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Sweetgrass
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past

And to a lesser extent...

A Prophet
Alamar
Another Year
Biutiful
Buried
Carlos
Chloe
Everyone Else
The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Greenberg
Hadewijch
The King’s Speech
Lebanon
Let Me In
Life During Wartime
Mother
Never Let Me Go
Red Riding Trilogy
The Secret in Their Eyes
Somewhere
Valhalla Rising
Vincere
Wild Grass
Winter’s Bone

I hope to get around to the films on the top list relatively soon and the others but will probably get around to some on the lower list sooner.

Last edited by JJoshay on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:25 am
Ken wrote:
I still have to catch up on some movies before I can comfortably make a 2010 best-of.

If anyone cares, the ones I haven't seen yet that I'm planning on are:

Ghost Writer
Jack Goes Boating
127 Hours
Black Swan
True Grit

Upon pondering this, I see no reason not to put my picks-so-far. I have no intention of restricting them to 10 (it's completely arbitrary) or putting them in order by greatness (almost completely arbitrary).

So, here's my list of the best of 2010, keeping in mind that any of the ones I haven't seen are fair game to be added once I've seen them.

Toy Story 3
Scott Pilgrim
Shutter Island
Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage
The Social Network
Jackass 3D

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 pm
Ken wrote:
Jackass 3D

Out of interest, why the championing of the generally disregarded by this forum Jackass sequel?

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:16 pm
I saw Please Give yesterday. I'm finding a place for it in my top ten. Oh how early it is to do this list. XD

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Pedro wrote:
Oh how early it is to do this list. XD

True that. I'm usually not happy with my numbers until the middle of January if not later. Hell, with 2009 I'm not sure I ever saw half the movies I wanted to. I guess my not having an indie theater near me doesn't help this at all.

Anyway, I'm trying to do things differently this year and actually watch some interesting movies to put on my year-end list. Right now, the essential "missed" films include (Domestic release dates be damned!):

Uncle Boonmee, My Joy, Certified Copy, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Black Swan, True Grit, Carlos, Animal Kingdom, The Ghost Writer, Enter the Void, Fish Tank, I Am Love, Wild Grass, White Material and Mother. Throw in other "wants to sees" like the Red Riding Trilogy and Restrepo, and I will never watch all of those movies before making a list.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:48 am