Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:27 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Miscellaneous Lists 
Author Message
Post Re: Miscellaneous Lists
Pedro wrote:
I dare you to watch The House of the Devil as your next film. Or Tetro, because that film's a fucking mess.


I intend to watch all of them at some point, but I've seen far too many movies from the 21st century this month already. I'm very interested in House of the Devil though and I'll watch that long before I get to Tetro.

bob harris wrote:
Ed,
Lots of good films there, some of which I like better than some others here(Me and Orson Welles, Brothers Bloom, Damned United, Two Lovers. Let me know what you think of those.

Joe


I looked at The Damned United last night and enjoyed it. Very strange picture, no? They make a biography of the most successful "soccer" (it actually hurts me to type those words) manager of all time, but instead of focusing (or even showing) most of his successes, they highlight his greatest failure. Mind you, I loved that idea. It's less a sports movie than a film about obsession. In some ways it's like Citizen Kane. Just a really, really light version of Kane. Loved the performances, but the heralded Michael Sheen really put me off for some reason. I might be the only person with this criticism but I felt he was severely overacting the piece. Still, a good 7/10 film for me.

majoraphasia wrote:
ed_metal_head wrote:
I'll go. Here's my list of 2009 features that I wanted to see but still haven't gotten around to:
Two Lovers
Gigantic
Tetro
The Informers
The Soloist
Limits of Control
The Brothers Bloom
Big Fan
World's Greatest Dad
Bright Star
Looking for Eric
The Damned United
The House of the Devil
The Men Who Stare at Goats
The Road
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Me and Orson Welles
Brothers

Not all of those will be good. For instance, I'm fairly sure The Informers is terrible but I hope that popular opinion has been wrong.


The ones in red you can safely miss while the ones in blue are worth the trouble. So says me. I haven't seen, or don't give a hell one way or another, about the others. The Road, for example, just... was.


Noted, but again, I do intend to see all of those. I'm intrigued by your appreciation of The Limits of Control. Critics more or less eviscerated it so I was expecting the worst. I liked the trailer though, so I'm still hoping for the best.


Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:55 am
Post Re: Miscellaneous Lists
House of the Devil is a little seen modern horror classic that real fans of the genre should lap up
In fact Major should be force fed this movie ;-)
Rob


Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 pm
Post Re: Miscellaneous Lists
ed_metal_head wrote:
I looked at The Damned United last night and enjoyed it. Very strange picture, no? They make a biography of the most successful "soccer" (it actually hurts me to type those words) manager of all time, but instead of focusing (or even showing) most of his successes, they highlight his greatest failure. Mind you, I loved that idea. It's less a sports movie than a film about obsession. In some ways it's like Citizen Kane. Just a really, really light version of Kane. Loved the performances, but the heralded Michael Sheen really put me off for some reason. I might be the only person with this criticism but I felt he was severely overacting the piece. Still, a good 7/10 film for me.

I really liked The Damned United when I saw it. It's the equivalent of an 8/10 on your rating scale. The performances are stupendous; made me realize how essential Timothy Spall is to my sanity. Regarding Sheen. I didn't really get the impression he was overacting at all. The British folk at my other message board who know way more about football than I do said he caught his personality quite accurately. (Then again, they also said he was the standout in Frost/Nixon, so take their opinion with a grain of salt?) I also really liked how it was shot, and particularly how the shots were framed. There are a lot of intense close-ups in a movie that maybe deserves more long and extreme long shots. It's also directed by Tom Hooper of The King's Speech fame. I suspect he'll be remembered for that film.


Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 pm
Post Re: Miscellaneous Lists
Robert Holloway wrote:
House of the Devil is a little seen modern horror classic that real fans of the genre should lap up
In fact Major should be force fed this movie ;-)
Rob


Ah, but I've seen it twice and own the DVD to boot. I saw it too late to make my Best of 2009 list but it would have been on the tail end of it had the circumstances been as they should have been.


Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:49 pm
Post Re: Miscellaneous Lists
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
House of the Devil is a little seen modern horror classic that real fans of the genre should lap up
In fact Major should be force fed this movie ;-)
Rob


Ah, but I've seen it twice and own the DVD to boot. I saw it too late to make my Best of 2009 list but it would have been on the tail end of it had the circumstances been as they should have been.



I should have known better!
It has amazing atmosphere - genuinely creepy
Rob


Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:54 pm
Post Re: Miscellaneous Lists
Robert Holloway wrote:
majoraphasia wrote:
Robert Holloway wrote:
House of the Devil is a little seen modern horror classic that real fans of the genre should lap up
In fact Major should be force fed this movie ;-)
Rob


Ah, but I've seen it twice and own the DVD to boot. I saw it too late to make my Best of 2009 list but it would have been on the tail end of it had the circumstances been as they should have been.



I should have known better!
It has amazing atmosphere - genuinely creepy
Rob


It was terrific entertainment up to and including the credit sequence. Even the conclusion, which we all probably saw coming from 90 minutes away, worked thanks to Ti West's hung-ho approach to re-building early-80s horror. A fine ***1/2 film if there ever was one.


Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:05 pm
Post Re: Miscellaneous Lists
majoraphasia wrote:
And did anyone else thing The Spirit of the Beehive was a bit of a letdown?


Wrong. Just... wrong. I mean... Wrong!

That one guy again... wrote:
La Belle Noiseuse (1991) 236 min
The Sorrow and the Pity (1969) 251 min
The Iceman Cometh (1973) 239 min
Boccaccio '70 (1962) 205 min
Chelsea Girls (1966) 210 min
Siberiade (1979) 275 min
Hôtel Terminus (1988) 267 min
My Voyage to Italy (1999) 246 min
Chushingura (1962) 207 min
Grin Without a Cat (1977) 240 min
Out 1, noli me tangere (1971) 729 min
Eros Plus Massacre (1969) 205 min
Extraordinary Stories (2008) 247 min
Manon of the Spring (1952) 200 min


These are all pretty high on my "A.S.A.P." list (which doesn't actually exist. Otherwise I'd post it here) so give me a ring whenever you plan on taking the plunge. Nothing like a little company for a 4-13 hour movie.

Robert Holloway wrote:
House of the Devil is a little seen modern horror classic that real fans of the genre should lap up
Rob


Double agreed. One of my favorite films from '09. I loved just about everything about this film. Maybe not perfect, but a joy to behold either way.


Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:31 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr